[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Burleson & McKissic to speak at midwest New Baptist Covenant

Burleson & McKissic to speak at midwest New Baptist Covenant

Does the New Baptist Covenant represent the dawning of a new day of unity in Baptist life? Discuss the ongoing Covenant meetings here.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Burleson & McKissic to speak at midwest New Baptist Covenant

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:54 pm

... in August of 2009. I was glad to learn, per BDiddy, that . Does that mean, however, that McKissic is now willing to once again associate with groups such as the Baptist General Convention of Texas who on "inerrancy"?
Mark

Interesting development indeed

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:38 pm

Here is hoping Gushee will pursue conversations rumored to be in the hopper with the likes of Ben Cole and Burleson and shore up the right end of progressive Baptist movement.
Will be interesting to see if some common ground can be found with Burleson, Anne Lotz, McKissic and the Baptist World Alliance.
That would be something, some real statement by the likes of Burleson.
Until that time I think Johnny Pierce has Burleson's number in his review of Burleson's IMB book.

I have the sense folks like Burleson and Adrian's son David Rogers and Ginny Brant are trying to find a way to say the fundy takeover of the SBC was wrong but can't find the words.
Anne Lotz could do a big thing if with her family in the BWA she led the way with these folks.

Randall Balmer will be giving three lectures in the Buddy Shurden series mid April at Mercer. Here is hoping some substantive conversations will be held during that time discussing Graham Lotz, Burleson, McKissic and possible common ground with the BWA.
Ben Cole can help formulate a statement that says the best of Baptist witness in America rejects the political creedalism of Richard Land and the machinations of Karl Rove.
NT Wright himself says religious right groped for the right thing, but chose the wrong issues and went about it in the wrong way.
Some common ground in the BWA would incarnate such a course correction the likes of Brant, Lotz and Burleson seem to be groping for.
Johnny Pierce can act as a facilitator to help them articulate such a move.
Here is a Shout Out to Bruce Gourley and the forces at Mercer with the Buddy Shurden lectures.
Don't be shy. Invite Anne Graham Lotz down for the Balmer lectures and have two days of intense conversation about the topic chosen for Balmer's three lectures. Could make some real history there is they have the cohonas to invite Lotz down for such conversation.
Invite Ginny Brant as well.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Burleson & McKissic to speak at midwest New Baptist Covenant

Postby Cathy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:06 pm

I made my reservations for this meeting. A couple from my church that I knew, but got to know better at the Atlanta meeting will be there as well. We are all looking forward to it. I assume that I will run into David Flick and Gary. Anyone else? I'll be hanging out with my friends, but hoping to say hello to a few BaptistLifers.
Cathy

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:42 am

I hope to be there. But I'm not sure as of yet. Between the honeymoon and mono, I haven't gotten much schoolwork done this summer and I've missed a great deal of work at my job.

I thought that Bruce Prescott would have had a booth promoting the upcoming meeting at the General Assembly. It was in Houston and over 1/3 of the folks present were Texans. I didn't see a booth nor did I see Prescott.

Perhaps Burleson will explain at this inclusive gathering of Baptists why he voted to oust Broadway Baptist Church from the Southern Baptist Convention and how that vote furthers any of the ideals or principles that the New Baptist Covenant claims to represent. Perhaps he'll explain how the posting of that fear-mongering Muslim Demographics video on his blog furthers the principle of Respect for Religious Diversity which the New Baptist Covenant claims to champion. And perhaps Burleson will discuss his divisive prayer from the floor of the Oklahoma Senate earlier in the Spring. No respect for religious diversity nor liberty of conscience there.

And finally, perhaps the organizers of the New Baptist Covenant meeting will explain how the selection of a person to keynote the event who doesn't represent well a set of simple inclusive principles furthers the goal of transitioning the New Baptist Covenant from a moment into a movement?

I now await Sandy to swoop in and give his long spill about how I'm not being inclusive here. So, let me say: All Baptists should be welcomed and encouraged to participate in the New Baptist Covenant gatherings. But all Baptists don't need to be put forth as leaders of a project that they can't wholeheartedly embrace.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Re: Interesting development indeed

Postby David Flick » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:39 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:44 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:34 am

Mark

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:30 pm

My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Mark » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:16 pm

Mark

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:45 pm

ED: Elsewhere on these boards Wade said that he abstained from the EC vote on Broadway.

Aaron wrote "I thought that Bruce Prescott would have had a booth promoting the upcoming meeting at the General Assembly. It was in Houston and over 1/3 of the folks present were Texans. I didn't see a booth nor did I see Prescott."

Ed: Neither did I see a booth, promoting the upcoming NBC event in Norman but I did see Prescott. I have not processed the many pics that I snapped on our trip and at the Assembly but I do think I got a decent shot of Prescott, if so I will have Flick post it. I also think I have a couple of you. I will send those to David also.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:30 pm

Well, apparently Wikipedia does not.
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Haruo » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:11 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Cathy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:37 am

Texas is in the Southwest (but the west begins in Fort Worth). It struck me as odd that they called a meeting in Oklahoma the Midwest regional meeting. I think of Oklahoma as a state in the Southwest. If you have lived in the true South and then in Texas you know Texas with the exception of some of East Texas is not a distinctly Southern state.

Hopefully the Midwest will be kind enough to join us or reclaim their region name later for their own meeting.
Cathy

Flick

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:58 pm

I got an art link for you nearby and Rock says you ought to take me up on it.

Parham dropped a lot of names in his write up of the Norman event and Prescott appreciated it.

Looks like you are the one lacking on the name thing

:lol: :brick:
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:35 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:09 pm

My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby David Flick » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:29 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:26 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Cathy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:53 pm

Just got a phone call from my church friends that were coming to the regional NBC with me. She has wrenched a knee today and can't walk. So I'm on my own, I've been trying to talk a kid into going with me. What age do you think can really get something out of this sort of meeting?
Cathy

Postby Haruo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:15 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:18 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Return to New Baptist Covenant