Oklahoma BAPTIST MESSENGER weighs in on NBC

Does the New Baptist Covenant represent the dawning of a new day of unity in Baptist life? Discuss the ongoing Covenant meetings here.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Oklahoma BAPTIST MESSENGER weighs in on NBC

Postby David Flick » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:41 am

No surprise here. The BAPTIST MESSENGER of Oklahoma weighs in on the NBCC. This editorial by the Messenger "Staff" suggests, among other things, that former President, Jimmy Carter, is guilty of promoting divisiveness.
BM 'Staff' wrote:During the opening session of the "New Baptist Covenant Celebration" in Atlanta Jan. 30, former President Jimmy Carter called for Baptists of all races, political leanings and theological stances to unite around a common belief in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to set aside the differences that have caused divisions.

It appears the President would have done well to take his own advice when he was a Southern Baptist. Rather than unite around a common belief in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and set aside differences, the former President is promoting divisiveness.

Although I didn't attend the NBC celebration, I'm aware that the former President was not promoting divisiveness. That's an assertion worthy of a double slab of baloney cheese. The SB fundamentalists fostered the division of the Southern Baptist Convention.

BM 'Staff' wrote:Rationalizing his reasoning for leaving the Southern Baptist Convention, Carter stated, "It's not the dedicated and inspired work of our missionaries. It's not the great preaching of Billy Graham or others who inspire people. It's the image of divisions among brothers and sisters in Christ as we struggle for authority or argue about the interpretation of individual verses in the Holy Scriptures," Carter said to an estimated crowd of 9,000 at the Georgia World Congress Center.

Take another look at what he said. "It's not the dedicated and inspired work of our missionaries." Really? 1Then why is Jimmy Carter turning his back on the most effective missions sending organization in the world by bailing out on the Southern Baptist Convention?

"It's not the great preaching of Billy Graham or others who inspire people." No, his issue is not with the preachers he mentioned. 2His issue is with the inerrant Word of God.

1) Jimmy Carter didn't "bail out" on the SBC. He became unwelcome in the SBC because of the divisiveness of the perpetrators of the takeover. The MESSENGER staff can thank W. A. Criswell, Paul Pressler, Paige Patterson, et. al., and their ilk for creating a spirit of divisiveness that drove the moderates out.

2) No, Carter's issue isn't with the Bible. His issue was with the intolerant fundamentalists who declared that anyone who disagrees with the so-called inerrant interpretation of the Bible. The fundamentalists are intolerant of diverse interpretations of individual verses in the Holy Scriptures.

BM 'Staff' wrote:Was the former President for real when he called the celebration of a New Baptist Covenant the most momentous event in his religious life? With all due respect Mr. Carter, what are you thinking? 1The most momentous event in your religious life was when a group of former presidents got together to support a new denomination because they failed to influence the leaders of the Southern Baptist Convention? This is the most momentous event in the former Presidents religious life? How sad. 2It certainly has to be one of the most arrogant!

1) There would be no Cooperative Baptist Fellowship ("new denomination") had the fundamentalists not driven the moderates out. The moderates, yours truly included, attempted every way under the sun to cooperate with the fundamentalist leaders. The moderates didn't leave the SBC. They were demonized, excluded, and forced to leave. In this blog, I cite 8 examples of how Oklahoma fundamentalists treated those with whom they disagreed.

2) Carter arrogant?? Hardly. There's nothing arrogant about striving for unity among Baptists. However, it's the epitome of arrogance to suggest that the former President is not practicing what he preaches.

[color=#BFFFFF]. . . . . . . . . . . .-----------------------------------------

The MESSENGER staff (Ray Sanders and/or Anthony Jordan) deserves the head in the sand award for this editorial. No doubt about it.

[color=#BFFFFF]. . . . . . . . . . . .Image
User avatar
David Flick
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8490
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

Re: Oklahoma BAPTIST MESSENGER weighs in on NBC

Postby Norm » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:56 am

BAPTIST MESSENGER of Oklahoma : ... the former President is promoting divisiveness.

Baptist Messenger Math: 2 + 2 = 1.
Norm
 

Re: Oklahoma BAPTIST MESSENGER weighs in on NBC

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:50 pm

Ed: David, I agree with most of what you say above. I do as I have in the past take exception when you say " The moderates didn't leave the SBC. They were demonized, excluded, forced to leave." I left the SBC of my own free will because the leadership
of that organization chose to change it from what I had grown to love and willingly supported for over 40+ years. When we moved to Cincinnati In 1998 we visited a number of SBC churches and found none that I could support. Of the closest two Baptist Churches one was part of the Conservative Baptist Association
(Western and Denver Seminaries ), The other, an ABC-USA church with an SBTS graduate as Pastor. That second one was a good fit for both my wife and I. Fact is I had been demonized by some fundamentalist types in the SBC well before 1979.
For the past five and a half years we have been quite welcomed, happy and content in the New York State region of the ABC-USA. We are also happily active in the Baptist Fellowship of the Northeast (CBF).
User avatar
Ed Pettibone
 
Posts: 11963
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: .Burnt Hills, New York, Capital Area

Re: Oklahoma BAPTIST MESSENGER weighs in on NBC

Postby David Flick » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:38 am

Ed Pettibone wrote:Ed: David, I agree with most of what you say above. I do as I have in the past take exception when you say " The moderates didn't leave the SBC. They were demonized, excluded, forced to leave." I left the SBC of my own free will because the leadership of that organization chose to change it from what I had grown to love and willingly supported for over 40+ years. When we moved to Cincinnati In 1998 we visited a number of SBC churches and found none that I could support. Of the closest two Baptist Churches one was part of the Conservative Baptist Association
(Western and Denver Seminaries ), The other, an ABC-USA church with an SBTS graduate as Pastor. That second one was a good fit for both my wife and I. Fact is I had been demonized by some fundamentalist types in the SBC well before 1979.
For the past five and a half years we have been quite welcomed, happy and content in the New York State region of the ABC-USA. We are also happily active in the Baptist Fellowship of the Northeast (CBF).

Ed, I can appreciate the fact that you left the SBC of your own accord. However, you are the exception rather than the rule. The great majority of CBFers left because they were forced to leave or were excluded to the point where they had virtually no voice or hope of ever having a voice in the SBC.
User avatar
David Flick
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8490
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

Re: Oklahoma BAPTIST MESSENGER weighs in on NBC

Postby David Flick » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:43 am

Norm wrote:BAPTIST MESSENGER of Oklahoma : ... the former President is promoting divisiveness.

Baptist Messenger Math: 2 + 2 = 1.

And we all know that in addition to the MESSENGER staff having their heads in the sand, they are mathematical illiterates...
User avatar
David Flick
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8490
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Oklahoma City, OK


Return to New Baptist Covenant

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron