[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Update on Killinger, FalwelTGeorge and Bama Baptist intrigue

Update on Killinger, FalwelTGeorge and Bama Baptist intrigue

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Update on Killinger, FalwelTGeorge and Bama Baptist intrigue

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:57 am

Not that Alabama is much in play for Obama, but these fellows used to be carried on Turner TV.
http://www.rickandbubba.com/

Rick is active at a what passes in Alabama for a Mainstream Baptist Congregation just up from Samford--Mark can name it for us.
On air they are pretty much taking the Franklin Graham position that Obama is outside Mainstream christianity.
The Obama campaign in some way will have to engage their rationaled and influence if Obama is to pick off a blue collar constituency in a swing state; and it has implications for key congressional districts that are in play.
I would hope that Bishop Willimon, Jay Wolfe, Mike Shaw or other Alabama Baptists, maybe Fisher Humphreys would speak to the Rickn Bubba mindset whether they themselves vote for Obama or not.
RickNBubba are likable good ol boys, but they ideology should not swing some key congressional district races this cycle..

Martin Accad of the Baptist Seminary in Beirut were guests of Samford and the Alsbom in Rick's church April two years ago. I know, I was there.
Let Samford and Bob Terry get an interview with Accad on the Rick N Bubba take.
Last edited by Stephen Fox on Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: RickN Bubba, Obama and the Deity of Christ/Alsbom

Postby JaneFordA » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:24 pm

(\~~/)
(= '.' =)
JaneFordA

Postby Elisabeth » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:13 pm

~Elisabeth

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.
2 Timothy 2:15
Elisabeth

Postby JaneFordA » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:26 pm

(\~~/)
(= '.' =)
JaneFordA

Jane and McCain's Monster

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:39 pm

Jane might enjoy Mo Dowd's column up at NY Times Today, McCain's Monster.
She may be right in a real politik sense, but I think Carolyn Crumpler would join me in hoping she takes a good look at Will Campbell's latest book allegedly
coming out this fall; reputedly taking up where a speech at Ole Miss left off in 95 or so; about Rednecks.
Elisabeth, Jane may know all she wants to know on the matter, but I hope you will google it up.

Stephen Fox

Re: Jane and McCain's Monster

Postby Elisabeth » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:46 pm

~Elisabeth

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.
Elisabeth

Postby JaneFordA » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:09 pm

(\~~/)
(= '.' =)
JaneFordA

Postby Elisabeth » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:14 pm

~Elisabeth

Elisabeth

Postby Ed Edwards » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:55 pm

I see I'm a-going to haf two defend us Fundamentalists against the rising tide of hyper-fundie-ism. Hyper-fundie-ism is closer to Hyper-liberal-ism than to regular Fundamentalists, like me.

Consider a circle - it is the Religious position circle. At the very bottom is Moderates or Progressives. At the left quarter is LIBERAL; at the right quarter is FUNDAMENTAL. At the top, just left of the '12-o'clock' position is Hyper-liberal-ism; just right of the '12-o'clock' position is Hyper-fundie-ism.

My writing on the dangers of hyper-fundie-ism:

--------------------------------------------------
Last revised 05(Feb)08

(I describe a shoe. If the shoe fits, feel free to wear it. If you see ugly in this mirror - recall the saying : beauty is in the eye of the beholder!)

The fundamentals of traditional fundamentalism
(this are the ones I believe):

1. the inspiration and infallibility of scripture
2. the deity of Christ (including His virgin birth)
3. the substitutionary atonement of Christ's death
4. the literal resurrection of Christ from the dead
5. the literal return of Christ in the Second Advent

The hyper-fundamentals (Beyond simple Fundamentals)
[often called Neo-Fundamentals]
( several of these would have to be present
for adequate 'tagging'):

1. Anti-Bible (KJBO = King James Bible Only)
2. Pro-ignorance
3. Anti-success
4. pro-hyper-seperation
5. Anti-alien (Hate of gays & women, racism, etc.)

Typical statements made by the ultra-fundamentalists: (note that the world calls them "fundies" and we real fundamentalists have to bear their burden unjustly):

1. The KJB replaces the original language manuscripts as being God's Word
2. I’ll take ole uneducated farmer Jones who believes the book to be my children’s Sunday School teacher any day over an educated enlightened one with 2 degrees who doesn’t believe the book. - 05 Feb 08
3. Jerry Falwell sold out to the Devil
4. If one doesn't describe their fundamentalism in the same exact words as another - then the other must separate from the one.
5. Jews killed Christ; kill a gayboy for Jesus; Sista: koto to yo' man
:angel:
( for the physical Millennial Messianic Reign of Jesus )

-- Ed Edwards, AGW Dude
(AGW = Anthropogenic Global Warming)
Ed Edwards

Postby Elisabeth » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:59 pm

~Elisabeth

Elisabeth

Postby Ed Edwards » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:06 pm

As for degrees. I've got two of them:

BSEd - Bachelor of Science in Education - 1969
BSEE - Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering - 1975

Strangely, my name is ED Edwards or EE

Once I told a person this and he started a hate mail campaign against me (this was a PBM = play /a game/ by mail) -- Why was I so uppity? unedumakated folk are still people. It is a joke, it is a strange fact - how many people you know have degrees that mimic their name :?

So I figured out that there is a group of people who are HI = humor impaired. No fair saying "they have no sense of humor" - it isn't like a decision they made, more like the HI-GENE (hygiene). Just like depression is caused by the BLUE-GENE (Generic for 'Levis ': Blue Jean)

-- Ed Edwards, AGW Dude
Ed Edwards

Postby Ed Edwards » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:13 pm

-- Ed Edwards, AGW Dude
Ed Edwards

Postby Elisabeth » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:44 pm

~Elisabeth

Elisabeth

Ken Chafin

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:47 pm

said: "A Bible in the hands of a believer who will not submit it to rational means of investigation, is a dangerous thing and has often been used to buttress up injustice".

Just look at what happened in the SBC the last 30 years.

Stephen Fox

Postby Mark » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:39 pm

Mark

Postby Jim » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:32 pm

Jim

Postby JaneFordA » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:39 pm

(\~~/)
(= '.' =)
JaneFordA

Postby Jim » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:34 pm

JFA: You make an awful lot of assumptions, don't you?

J: I'm one of your blue-collar twerps
You know…the redneck dim of wit,
Who maybe slobbers, maybe slurps,
With grimy hands…too dumb to quit.

I hustled boxcars years and years,
A dirty-faced old engineer,
The men I worked with shed no tears
When P-H-D's at them might sneer.

Assumptions…yeah…I make them, whee!…
But you, of course, do not…how true!
You know blue collars…twerps like me,
Assuming nothing…no…not you.

So…carry on and pray for us,
That we become enlightened, too,
We'll soldier on…try not to cuss
When put down hard by brains like you.
Jim

Wall Street Journal on Bama's New Southern Strategy

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:45 am

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB ... 008_topbox

How this plays out for Mart Gray in Elba, former head of the Alabama CBF; and Gary Burton in Pintlala, home of the 41 and 43's hero Ray Scott, I can't figure out yet.

Both Bright and Love as the article says are deacons at FBC Montgomery Jay Wolfe's place.
What this means for my friend John Killian's interpretation of the political implications of BFM2000 I can't fathom yet, but looks to me like it is time for Bob Terry to have Charles Pickering and Charles Marsh in for lunch to help us bifurcate it all.

Sfox
Doesn't look like Bobby Bright, like Rickn Bubba, is parking on Obama's Christology to place his affiliations. I'm with Bright on this one.
I hope Bob Dylan was right about the carpet too is moving Under You, and it's all over now, Baby Blue.

Baby Blue in this instance being the Lee Atwater Boogie Man Documentary and his godchildren Rove and Richard Land; at least the beginning of the end.

Stephen Fox

Postby JaneFordA » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:11 pm

(\~~/)
(= '.' =)
JaneFordA

Postby Jim » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:03 am

JFA: I don't know who you think you're kidding--or think you're scoring points with, but I have the feeling your sudden affinity with rednecks is about as genuine as any declaration I'd make favoring the SBC.

J: You're welcome to check out the Norfolk Southern and its predecessor Southern Railway System and discover that I spent around 25 years, the last 23 in one slug, working with the rednecks out on the tracks, traveling through all the backyards from Cincinnati to Chattanooga. I was even an apparatchik in the (gasp) union. The blue-collars are my people. My father, grandfather, uncles were railroaders – blue collars who weren't all that dumb. As for scoring points…I'm still laughing. That's the one thing I never expect to do in this forum and would be disappointed if I did. As for you and the SBC, perhaps your loss is its gain.
Jim

Olasky in 1968

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:37 pm

Since Jim's Poetry has once again overwhelmed a substantive post, for the carnival of it all I offer more fodder:

http://www.worldmag.com/marvinolasky

Stephen Fox

Alabama Baptist weighs in

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:28 pm

Stephen Fox

Re: Alabama Baptist weighs in