[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Hello from Virginia

Hello from Virginia

Pull up a chair and introduce yourself. We're glad you're here.

Hello from Virginia

Postby dunningrb » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:20 pm

My name is Rodney Dunning. I'm a physics professor at Longwood University in Farmville, VA, and I attend Farmville Baptist Church. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say about myself, but I'm glad this forum exists. It appears to be a place where Baptists can engage in civil discussions without being excommunicated because you disagree with someone.

I have a wife (Tammy) and two daughters (Sarah, Olivia). I ride my bicycle almost every day. I maintain a blog called "Very Important Stuff" at . Please visit it. If I get enough hits I can start selling ads, and become a millionaire.

My favorite Bible verses are 1 Peter 1:6,7.

--
Rodney Dunning
--
Rodney Dunning
Very Important Stuff:
dunningrb

Re: Hello from Virginia

Postby JaneFordA » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:00 pm

Hiya, Rodney--

The only thing that MIGHT get you into a spot 'o bother around here is your obvious commitment to being healthy. :wink: I advise you to stock up on dark chocolate and CRUNCHY Cheetos (the only Jane-approved ones, naturally) and do battle with the bulge as do the rest of us gluttons. Daily. Hourly. :D
(\~~/)
(= '.' =)
JaneFordA

Postby Haruo » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:20 pm

Welcome, Rodney. I urge you to join me in consuming —the heretic's snack of choice. Very low sodium, and plenty of that chemically induced banana flavor you remember from childhood bright-yellow toffee pieces.

Haruo

PS to Jane: There, I've thrown down the gauntlet.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JaneFordA » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:31 pm

(\~~/)
(= '.' =)
JaneFordA

Postby Lowen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:23 pm

Welcome Dunning. I'm new myself. As newbies here, I say we stick together. These people might bite and rip us apart until we become official members of the pack. lol, I jest. :D

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Lowen

Postby Joshua Villines » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:05 pm

Rodney,

What kind of bike do you ride? My wife is a daily commuter, and I just put another 17 miles on my Cannondale T800.

Also, have you read Feyman's Six Easy Pieces? I'd love an actual physicists perspective on those lectures.

Oh, and welcome! :)
"Saying that CBF churches are more progessive than SBC ones because they support the ordination of women is like noting that one flat-earth society is more progressive than the other because it admits to the existence of gravity."
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Postby dunningrb » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:04 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm looking forward to all the conversations.

Joshua: I ride a Trek 5200, your standard race-ready road bike, although I don't compete. (Not fast enough.) I think I'm called a "recreational cyclist." I bike between 100 and 160 miles per week, and ride centuries when I find the time. I'm training for two late-season centuries now, in fact.

I've read most of Feynman's lecture materials. There's an old joke about them: they're like Chinese food---they're great, but an hour later you're hungry again. (I hope that wasn't offensive.) Feynman was a genius of the first rank. But, pedagogically, I'd say his lectures are fairly close to useless. I don't think he understood that the key to successful teaching is to focus on what the students are doing, not what the professor is doing.
--
Rodney Dunning
Very Important Stuff:
dunningrb

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:41 pm

Welcome, Rodney, from another Virginian in the southside. I like your pastor from what I have seen of him in the BGAV and VBC. He seems quite interesting. I'm in Emporia and only occasionally get over to Farville. Welcome, and I look forward to reading what you post.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Joshua Villines » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:03 pm

Rodney,

I'm not offended at all. I feel much the same way about when religion scholars write popular books. That's why I wanted to know what an actual physicist would say :).

Joshua
"Saying that CBF churches are more progessive than SBC ones because they support the ordination of women is like noting that one flat-earth society is more progressive than the other because it admits to the existence of gravity."
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Postby Lowen » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:36 pm

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Lowen

Postby Joshua Villines » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:03 pm

Bah! Homonyms have always been my enemy ;)
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Postby Ed Edwards » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:19 pm

:angel:
( for the physical Millennial Messianic Reign of Jesus )

-- Ed Edwards, AGW Dude
(AGW = Anthropogenic Global Warming)
Ed Edwards

Postby JaneFordA » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:52 pm

(\~~/)
(= '.' =)
JaneFordA

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:03 pm

Welcome, Rodney; from another Virginian.....at the Mouth of the James.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Return to Welcome Forum. (For Visitors and New Users)