[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Gosh, Bette Stalnecker is still alive... and obviously well

Gosh, Bette Stalnecker is still alive... and obviously well

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Gosh, Bette Stalnecker is still alive... and obviously well

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:47 pm

Some of you may recall my mention of this legendary family of traveling singers from Florida in an earlier ("Big Hair for Jesus") thread.

The classically-trained Bette Stalnecker began her career as R.G. Lee's main soloist at Bellevue in Memphis. She then began to sing for countless state and national convention gatherings. Later on, The Stalnecker Open House became a tradition for at least two decades during the SBC's annual meeting. After each evening session, the main convention hotel would feature a parade of music evangelists in a nightclub-type atmosphere. As a Baptist preacher's kid, my childhood memory bank is full of these images.

Here's a picture from their heydey... http://fbcpic.org/anniversary/1960_1969 ... lletin.jpg ...before they became increasingly "flashy" and out of favor with many former admirers. Some time ago, I recall hearing that Ed Stalnecker had either died, or they were divorced, or both. I hadn't heard anything more about them in years, until...

Lo and behold, I discover that Bette Stalnecker is not only still singing, she's remarried, has apparently returned to Bellevue, has opened a bed-and-breakfast (?) or retreat center (?) or dinner theater (?) or something like that... and is apparently still going strong: http://bettestalnecker.com
Mark

Postby bobfrgsn » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:41 am

bobfrgsn

Location: Mandeville, Louisiana on the northshore of beautiful Lake Ponchatrain

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:04 am

Thanks Mark; The one item mentions her two sons who are ordained Southern Baptist preachers. That would be Rick and Chip. Does any one have any idea where those two are now? Rick is probably around 47 and Chip 42 or 43. The Stalneckers where at our Church in Indianapolis one year in may, probably about 1969 and their two boys where just a little older than My oldest two kids and we took them to the INDY 500 time trials. Also I helped Ed find all the pawn shops in Indianapolis, where he searched for buys on sound equipment. I also went with him to visit some folk on the churches prospect list. He gave coppies of Bette's recordings to some of the shut in folk. The boys where a very active part of the ministry and Chip, the yougest wrote some of their music. In those days, Ed and Betty Drove a Cadillac Eldarado and pulled an Airstream Land Yacht Travel trailer. Once Avion made him an offer that he accepted but after a year or two he went back to Airstream. The Tyson's who played piano and Organ for them, drove a Mercury Montclair Station Wagon and pulled a slightly smaller trailer. When Rick turned 14 he could get a Louisiana drivers licence and so he and chip had a Mercedes sports car that they used to Pull an Airstream Bambi. Remember in those days gas was only 30-32 cents a gallon.
Later Ed personally with the help of Bette and the boys converted a used Greyhound bus into a motor home. Some time later they bought a commercially built unit.

I had one of Bette's Records and I wore it out. It was one of those big old 33 and a third rpm's It was Bette Stalnecker and The London Philharmonic , my favorite cut was Roll - Jordan -Roll.

When some folk criticized the luxury of their cars and having the best of Travel trailers, Ed was quick to remind that they where on the road 48 to 50 weeks a year. And He figured they had less tied up in their rolling stock that the folks who complained the loudest had in their homes. He often said "there are hunderds of evangelist preaching to the down and out, our ministry is also for the up and out." ( Perhaps this ties in with Bob Fergesons last comment) Another of their "Luxuries was a huge Great Dane that traveled with them. Kids in the churches loved to have thir picture taken with that dog.

I have driven as much as a hundred miles to hear the Stalneckers, a couple times.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:38 pm

So (for Bob F) : What ever happened to the Tysons? I had no luck when searching for their names.

As to the brothers Chip and Rick S (for Ed P): I have no idea where they are today. Several years ago, the entire family was based in Florida. As to the Stalnecker mode of transportation in those days, I found another interesting reference on a church history page which can be read here, by scrolling down to 1978: http://www.muldraughhill.org/ChurchHist ... -1984.html

Or here, if you want to read only the relevant excerpt:

"During the week of June 23-July 2, 1978, The Stalneckers conducted revival services here with their music, preaching, and activities for the youth. They traveled in a bus which furnished their living quarters. The group included Ed and Bette Stalnecker, their 2 sons and wives, and 1 grandchi1d. At that time, they had traveled to over 600 Southern Baptist Churches from First Baptist Church in Key West, Fla. to First Baptist Church in Anchorage, Alaska... A special called business meeting was held on July 2, 1978 in which the church decided to purchase the organ (which we now use) from the Stalneckers at a cost of $2600.00..."
Mark

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:28 pm

Ed Pettibone

Stalnecker

Postby Ray » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:43 am

Boy! :o Is that a voice from the past! Ed, you and I went to the same church in Indianapolis! Gosh, how I remember the Stalneckers. Bette in her fur and evening gown on Saturday night, singing Scarlet Ribbons and her eyes filling with tears and her false eye lash coming loose. Rick was driving a red Mercedes coupe, Chip was all chubby. I remember how they ran up a huge long distance phone bill that the church was not expecting at all....the tour through their Airstream trailer, times sure have changed!!!
All those memories. And from what I understand that church EHBC as well as others really hasn't grown that much in the past 30 years.
Thanks, Mark, for those links! Those were fun to look at.....just makes me feel old, now!
Ray

Re: Stalnecker

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:31 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Ray » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:52 pm

Bro. Brewer died several years ago. It is called Sunnyside Road Baptist Church now. My folks went to 40th anniversary a few years ago. I left INDY to go to college back in 73, after graduation moved to Cincy and have lived in DFW for almost 20 years now. EHBC's former pastor, Otha Winningham had the most influence in my Christian walk and call to ministry.
Check this out----
Ray

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:15 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:21 pm

Mark

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:59 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Ray » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:22 am

In the 50's and 60's almost ALL SBC churches were composed of southern Christian transplants who had moved to Indiana. We were a mission church when Otha came to INDY fresh from Southern Seminary.
Ray

Postby Dale » Fri May 04, 2007 8:08 am

Thought some of you might be interested in this:

From the Citrus County Chronicle Online (Florida):

Edward Stalnecker, 75 CRYSTAL RIVER

Dr. Edward Irvin Stalnecker, 75, Crystal River, died Thursday, April 5, 2007, in Crystal River.

Born June 7, 1931, in Winter Haven, he was the son of Frederick and Lela (Herndon) Stalnecker. He came here 18 months ago from Marathon.

He graduated from Lake Charles High School, Lake Charles, La., and from Louisiana State University. He received his bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees from Luther Rice Seminary, and traveled the United States and Europe as an evangelist for the Southern Baptist Convention for more than 30 years, holding one-week revivals preaching and singing in more than 1,200 Baptist churches. He won multitudes to Christ, and touched the lives of many.

After retirement, on Easter Sunday 1984, he opened River City Baptist Church of Jacksonville, which grew to a membership of 700 in one year. He started Maritime Ministries, and began a program to take donated automobiles to give to indigent families and battered women. In the past two years, Maritime Ministries has given away about 150 vehicles. He worked with CASA to provide vehicles. He also preached in several local churches that were without a pastor, and he planned to lead the Easter Sunrise Service at Lake Rousseau R.V. Park.

Survivors include his wife, Betty Jean Stalnecker; three children, Randy, Rhonda and Martin; and two grandchildren, Haley and Eric.

Memorials may be given to Maritime Ministries, 431 S.E. Kings Bay Drive, Crystal River, FL 34429.

Wilder Funeral Home, Homosassa Springs.

The children listed above are his second wife's from previous marriages.

Bette and Ed's sons, Ric (or Rick), , and Lauren (formerly Loren, aka "Chip"), and (old site), live in Tennessee. First wife, Bette, the singer (not to be confused with second wife, Betty, listed above), remarried in 2003, lives in Memphis, and is doing well. See .
Dale

Postby Chris » Fri May 04, 2007 10:49 am

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Dale » Fri May 04, 2007 11:00 am

Dale

Postby Ray » Fri May 04, 2007 1:06 pm

Ray

Postby Dale » Fri May 04, 2007 1:35 pm

He's still Fredrick "Rick" Stalnecker. "Ric Steel" is a show name. "Stahl" is German for "steel." Loren changed his name to "Lauren" though I'm not sure of the story behind that. The fact they weren't listed in the obituary would have been the decision of Ed's current wife and family. Bette had not been in contact with Ed for several years and did not learn of his death until this week.

Bette is doing very well. She's been happily remarried for over three years to a wonderful man, Jim Gibson, whom she adores, and he treats her like a queen! Jim and his late wife, Harriett, were missionaries to Tanzania for many years and friends of Bette's. Bette and Jim have a ministry in their home where groups come for lunch or dinner and are treated to a program of music and testimony afterwards. Bette still sings in churches around Memphis and elsewhere and teaches voice.

See for more information.
Last edited by Dale on Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale

Postby Dale » Sat May 05, 2007 12:57 pm

The Tysons have lived in southern California for over 30 years and have owned a medical transcription business and work in real estate now. David has suffered some health problems in recent years but hasn't lost his crazy sense of humor!

They have three daughters, the oldest of whom works with her husband in missions, .

Bette's old albums are often available on eBay.
Dale

Postby Mark » Mon May 07, 2007 10:56 pm

Thanks for the update, Dale. No, I had not heard the news of Ed Stalnecker's passing. Can't believe they listed only his step-kids in the obit. Wow.

Meanwhile - and I wish there was a better segue from the subject of death - Chris sez I owe you some barbeque. (Gee thanks, Chris. :roll: )

Because I consider myself to be a person of stellar (steller? stellnecker?) character, I suppose he's right. :) That is, I'll honor that pledge IF the following conditions and/or logistical concerns are deemed to have been resolved satisfactorily, and barring anything else unforseen:

(1) If the original agreement from 2005 contained no statute of limitations in its fine print.

AND...
(2) If you'll be so kind as to identify your location so that I'll know where to mail your sandwich. A post office box is fine. Wait a minute... It was supposed to be a dinner, not just a sandwich, right? Okay, I'll toss in a pickle. :wink:

OR...
Better yet, we could meet for barbeque amidst one of the upcoming (or future) Baptist gatherings. An added bonus might be to have other distinguished BL.Com friends join us. It would almost be like returning to those carefree days when friends and loved ones visited, networked, reminisced, and drank soft drinks from the bar while enjoying the latenight music of yet another Stalnecker Showcase...
:angel:
Mark

Re: Gosh, Bette Stalnecker is still alive... and obviously well

Postby Dale » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:18 pm

Very much so!

Dale

Re: Gosh, Bette Stalnecker is still alive... and obviously well

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:25 pm

Mark

EJ Daniels

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:41 pm

Revival evangelist

Who was his organist??
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: EJ Daniels

Postby Dale » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:17 pm

Dale

Re: Gosh, Bette Stalnecker is still alive... and obviously w

Postby Dale » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:20 am

I know this is a very old topic, but if anyone is still around and is interested, here are some videos recorded Sunday, April 2, 2017, of Bette singing at Agape Baptist Church in Memphis. She's 87, "proud of it," and still going strong.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 099&type=3
Dale

Re: Gosh, Bette Stalnecker is still alive... and obviously w

Postby JE Pettibone » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:29 am

JE Pettibone

Next

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum