Brokaw: SC Baps reject Mohler and Land's "Dogma"

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Brokaw: SC Baps reject Mohler and Land's "Dogma"

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:33 am

That's a speculative assertion I am floating here to see if it gains any traction. Hoping to conflate this with Jim Evans link I have posted in the Memphis Declaration Thread; and then conflate those two things at my blog for wider discussion.
Hoping to bring Adrian Rogers son David, notice of the discussion, and hoping to barter with BDiddy to get all this to Ben Cole's attention to see if it comes to anything.

Tom Brokaw was on excellent panel Sunday morning on Meet the Press with NPR's Michelle Norris, Jon Meacham of Chattanooga, Sewanee, and Newsweek; Peg Noonan and Dot Kearns Goodwin.
Gourley and a couple of you other serious folks will want to read the entire script.

Here are two clips I want to focus on; first Norris on Huck and the Constitution:

MR. HUCKABEE: I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution. But I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do, is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary view of how we treat each other and how we treat the family.

(End videotape)

MR. RUSSERT: Michele, that speech received a lot of comment in the Republican Party in South Carolina.

MS. NORRIS: Yes, it did, and it spooked some of the--I just got back from South Carolina, by the way.

MR. RUSSERT: Yeah.

MS. NORRIS: And it spooked some of the evangelicals, the conservative Christians that we spoke to there. I mean, they're drawn to Mike Huckabee because the speaks their language, they like him personally, he's very, very charming. But people who were sort of on the fence, when he starts talking about amending the Constitution, they started to back away from him and that's where--that's one of his biggest dangers is that he's charming on the one hand, but he has almost a disinhibition when he gets on stage. He sort of says things that he later has to backtrack on. And if he does things like that where he alienates the Christian conservative base, it's bad news for him as he tries to go forward. If you listen to his concession speech last night, there are questions about where he might be able to win after South Carolina. He's not talking like a man who plans to step off the stage. He is having a lot of fun in this race, he is enjoying this moment. This is almost the wrong metaphor to use for a Baptist minister, bit's an almost eucharistic experience for him, and he's having too much fun to step off the stage.

So the question is, you know, we talk about the fractured--the fractured party at this point. Who among them is the person who can bring them all together? Is it Mike Huckabee? Is it John McCain, who still doesn't find that the conservative Christians embrace him? Is it Mike Huckabee who the country club conservatives look at him and say, "Ooh, I don't know if he's really the man for the White House." Is it Mitt Romney, who people still are perhaps not willing to embrace in part because he's flip-flopped on issues or in part because of his religious values. So it's really interesting going forward. It really--there's no clear choice for many people in the party.

And a few minutes later, Brokaw on Dogma:

MR. BROKAW: Well, I think, I think if there's a big thematic issue here in this election, it's the end of dogma, which has dominated so much of our politics in the last--well, since 1980, really. And people are rejecting dogma. As I see it, there's this kind of nomadic herd of voters out there wandering the landscape, looking for solutions, looking for a water hole, if you will, in which they can kind of resupply themselves and find solutions to the issues that really trouble them. It's going on in the Democratic Party as well as the Republican Party. I was listening to Rush Limbaugh for an hour yesterday, who is determined to not have this campaign, as he put it, redefine conservatism. And one of the ditto heads, one of his followers, called and...

MR. MEACHAM: Ditto heads.

MR. BROKAW: ...said, "Well, help me out here. What do I think now about Pat Buchanan and Newt Gingrich?" And it's one of the few times I've ever heard Newt--ever heard Rush Limbaugh kind of temporarily at a loss for words. And he ended up saying that they're not true conservatives. And that debate is not going to help the Republican Party, if they if they get bogged down in that. The country is hungry for solutions...

Sfox> Now JOnathan in particular is going to spin this saying I got the whole thing out of context and it will be easy for him to say that; but there is too much wider framework, too much Garry Wills and Balmer and Charles Marsh out there to negate his easy prostitution of my point.
There has been too much talk of the Dogma the likes of Richard Land and Pressler's mainstay in the next generation of his political design in the SBC, Ronnie Floyd; the point has been made that Land and Floyd and Pressler were able to pass their personal dogma off as values. That is unraveling from Ben Cole on Franky Schaeffer to the aforementioned.
Point being and I know I'm kickin a dead dog here, if Baptists in the pew had ever registered the full agenda of Pressler and Patterson's takeover like it finally began to register with them a little in UPSTATE SC when Huckabee put Bible Constitutional Amendments in the Mix, maybe all the fetus waving and all the bull poop about the inerrant wordagod for tax breaks as Rove and Land and Pressler were able to enact; maybe that coulda been stymied some time back; and all the dogma and the fog of Land/Pressler/Mohler gunk, maybe it woulda had little more light mixxed in.
Gonna rework this and see if I an attract more to its ongoing revision at my blog; but wanted yall, especially Gourley, in on the get go.
Entire transcript from Sunday is here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22754999/page/2/
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum