[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Truett Cathey gets Four and a Half Stars

Truett Cathey gets Four and a Half Stars

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Truett Cathey gets Four and a Half Stars

Postby Prentice Fox » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:16 pm

from a young California Girl who finds his autobiography; and is intrigued by his life (and his Chik Fil-A).A very interesting story. http://www.yelp.com/biz/48NyrB3LxxyAWiabUryV8A . Earlier this month, in a used book store, the witness and testimony of Truett Cathey came to life. Cathey continues to invest millions of $$ in the lives of young people through his foster homes and his college scholarships. HIS POSITIVE CHRISTIAN INFLUENCE will continue to live on for many generations to come. UNCLE PRENTICE.
Last edited by Prentice Fox on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prentice Fox

Re: Truett Cathey gets Four and a Half Stars

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:46 pm

A really nice guy. My old girlfriend claimed Truett as her Uncle. Her father grew up at Paul Anderson Youth Home in Vidalia, Georgia. And now his family runs the Youth Home. Truett Cathy helped Paul Anderson (olympic gold medalist in weightlifting) start up the Youth Home about 45 years ago. He's been funding the place ever since.

A few years back, we had a couple of good conversations about Baptist life (at that time I was beginning an internship with the BJC). He was quite affirming of my plans.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby TimR2 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:04 am

BDW: Finally, something we can agree on. :D

Uncle Prentice: Sure hope Wake pulls it out over Maryland this week-end. Also, for Truett Cathey. Was that 4 1/2 stars out of 5? If so, why not the other 1/2?
Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can’t, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it.- Robert Frost
TimR2

Postby Prentice Fox » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:45 am

R2(B2?)-- As Stephanie, the California Valley Girl, said in her report, 60% was for the man and 40% of her report was on the Sandwich. I thought the 2 comments that followed her were also good, because Cathey's influence and positive contributions were praised. Courtney gave it a 5, and Stacey gave it a 4; thus the 4 and 1/2. This was actually a blog intended for comments on the quality, (or lack therof) of fast foods; but she stumbled(?) upon Truett's autobiography, was impressed with his life and THEN had her first Chick Fil-A. "It didn't sing and dance." UNCLE PRENTICE
Prentice Fox

Postby Haruo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:22 pm

but it looks to me like all of these girls are in austin, tx, despite stephanie's claim to being a valley girl, and also I don't think she's all that young (okay, UP, she's young by your and my standards, but when I read that I thought "teenager", and from her profile i think she's probably an adult...

I finally realized that the -A is to be pronounced "-et", not to rhyme with the first second syllable of "Philadelphia", which is how I'd always pronounced this chain in the past. (I don't think I've ever seen a Chik-Fil-A restaurant.)

Haruo
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Prentice Fox » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:49 pm

Officially, I believe it is: Chick fil-A. Their website is: http://www.chick-fil-a.com IF YOU GO THERE, click on the free sandwich and coke offer. Their mission statement is: "To glorify God by being a faithful steward..." not a bad mission; for an individual or a corporation. UNCLE PRENTICE
Prentice Fox

Postby Haruo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:00 pm

How are they on requiring fry cooks to sign the BF&MY2K? Just kidding. But I do wonder if a job applicant would find some sort of religious bar there to hurdle. I think of fast food as a secular realm, basically, I guess, and references to glorifying God in such contexts seem red-flaggish to me.

Haruo

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Prentice Fox » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:03 pm

Tim R2, your prayers, and some awesome defense strategy on the field helped Wake pull out of a certain defeat, and beat Maryland 31 to 24 in overtime today. It was one of the most amazing games I ever Saw. Back to the thread: TRUETT CATHEY came through with his unsual generous charity today, when he hosted about 3,000 of us football fans at the Wake game with a Chick Fil-A Sandwich , drink and chips. Hundreds of Church vans and buses were at the Game for a NC baptist men and RA day. Truett would have loved the game. (Who knows;? he may have been there.) I give him 5 Stars. UNCLE PRENTICE)
Last edited by Prentice Fox on Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prentice Fox

Postby Jonathan » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:31 am

"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Postby William Thornton » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:28 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Prentice Fox » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:55 am

I just learned from my Uncle Paul yesterday that Truett Cathey is building a Retreat Center for Christian Executives in Fort Payne, AL. So, some of you may want to make reservations. Cathey's daughter Trudy and husband John White, formerly on the IMB, stopped by to visit Uncle Paul last week in Richmond VA and brought him up to date on Cathey's new ministry outreach. White is now working in South America to build some new foster homes there, like Cathey is financially supporting at Berry College, GA and other places. But, don't look for Cathey at Jimmy Carter's great Conflation of Baptists in Atlanta next year. Can we just say that Cathey is a "Different " Baptist?? UNCLE PRENTICE
Prentice Fox

Truett Cathy gets Four and a Half Stars

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:43 am

Mark

Postby Steve Wilcox » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:20 pm

My daughter has worked at a Chik-fil-a for over two years.

Each store is managed by an individual operator.

It is let up to the operator on how the store is run, the corporation does not get involved unless it is some kind egregrious issue.

For the most part they are given a lot of rope with which to hang themselves before Chik-fil-a steps in. It would have to be something that would tarnish the company image or illegal, etc. There is no religious qualifications at all to be an employee at Chik-fil-a restaurants. Not even for the operators.

So once again Haruo insinuates something about a conservative christian that is not true, whether he is joking or not.
Steve Wilcox

Postby Joshua Villines » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:17 pm

I preached at the Mountain Day Chapel service at Berry College a few weeks ago, and driving around the mountain campus with my family reminded me yet again how much I wish the Cathy family had founded their own fundamentalist Bible college instead of closing our Academy and shutting down our dairy and injecting WinShape DNA into an otherwise fine institution of higher learning.

Truett Cathy seems like a good man who cares deeply about children, but I really wish he weren't connected to my Alma Mater.

Joshua
"Saying that CBF churches are more progessive than SBC ones because they support the ordination of women is like noting that one flat-earth society is more progressive than the other because it admits to the existence of gravity."
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Postby Steve Wilcox » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:30 pm

Joshua,

I am sure if knew about your preaching the heresy of homosexuality is not a sin, he would feel the same way.
Steve Wilcox

Postby Joshua Villines » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:12 pm

"Saying that CBF churches are more progessive than SBC ones because they support the ordination of women is like noting that one flat-earth society is more progressive than the other because it admits to the existence of gravity."
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Postby Chris » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:19 pm

We all know that Cathey closes his stores on Sundays so that his employees can go to church.

If I am a Jew, do I get "scheduled" so that I can be off on the real Sabbath?
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Jonathan » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:36 pm

Last edited by Jonathan on Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Postby Steve Wilcox » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:03 am

Steve Wilcox

Postby Steve Wilcox » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:07 am

Steve Wilcox

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:35 am

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Haruo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:58 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Steve Wilcox » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:02 am

Steve Wilcox

Return to SBC News and Trends