[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Is Truett Cathy a "counterfeit" Baptist

Is Truett Cathy a "counterfeit" Baptist

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

How

Postby fox » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:54 pm

do Truett Cathy and Perry Mcguire define themselves in relation to this article.
And can Prentice Fox call himself a devotee of Carlyle Marney and be in good standing in a CBF congregation without expressing or having a working conversational knowledge of the differences of the Baptist Joint Committee and The Christian Legal Society or http://www.clsnet.org
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20061120/press/3
INFORMED GADFLY

fox

On

Postby fox » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:54 pm

INFORMED GADFLY

fox

If you want

Postby fox » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:11 am

INFORMED GADFLY

fox

CFA

Postby fox » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:11 pm

INFORMED GADFLY

fox

CFA

Postby fox » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:17 am

INFORMED GADFLY

fox

Re: CFA

Postby Jim1964 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:35 pm

Jim1964

1964 Jim

Postby fox » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:53 am

INFORMED GADFLY

fox

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:55 pm

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Joshua Villines » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:47 pm

I confess, I genuinely like Nelson Price. He has never been anything but kind a gracious to me, and I have a lot of respect for him.

As for Truett, I suppose I could tolerate his radical, right-wing politics if he would just get his little corporate vacation center the hell off the campus I dearly love. (He can take the Chicken Indoctrination Camp too, if it's all the same to him...)

As for the sandwiches, I wouldn't know. After 13 years as a vegetarian, I can't remember what they taste like. Their fries and lemonade, on the other hand, are quite tasty - but I hate to give them any of my money knowing that it will eventually trickle up to the Cathy family.

-Joshua
"Saying that CBF churches are more progessive than SBC ones because they support the ordination of women is like noting that one flat-earth society is more progressive than the other because it admits to the existence of gravity."
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Postby Jim1964 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:24 pm

Jim1964

Postby Joshua Villines » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:49 pm

"Saying that CBF churches are more progessive than SBC ones because they support the ordination of women is like noting that one flat-earth society is more progressive than the other because it admits to the existence of gravity."
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Postby fox » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:08 am

INFORMED GADFLY

fox

Postby fox » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:11 am

INFORMED GADFLY

fox

Postby fox » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:29 pm

INFORMED GADFLY

fox

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:28 pm

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Bdiddy

Postby fox » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:20 pm

INFORMED GADFLY

fox

Furman in Viet Nam

Postby fox » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:42 pm

INFORMED GADFLY

fox

Here is

Postby fox » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:39 am

INFORMED GADFLY

fox

Postby Jim » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:14 pm

Michelle Goldberg via something called Huffington Post: As I wrote [in her book], "I want to be clear, however, that I am not suggesting that religious tyranny is imminent in the United States. Our democracy is eroding and some of our rights are disappearing, but for most people, including those most opposed to Christian nationalist agenda, life will most likely go on pretty much as normal for the foreseeable future."

Ms. Goldberg (age admittedly unknown and probably impossible to discover) may not know anything about the extinct “Blue Laws,” the fact that virtually nothing secular (especially in schools) used to be scheduled on Wednesday evenings (prayer-meeting times) or Sunday evenings, or that local ministers and visiting evangelists routinely preached in high school assemblies. She would have labeled that not-far-distant past (in my lifetime) as the quintessential paradigm of “Christian Nationalism.” Instead of moving toward a theocratic mess, this country is moving at warp speed away from anything remotely suggesting a spiritual impact (pseudo or otherwise) of even measurable proportions, much less of massive size. This country is becoming more un-theocratic by the minute, and a handful of loudmouthed preachers or legislators will only serve to drive it farther in that direction, so Goldberg should be happy to have them screaming. Does anyone take her seriously? Surely not. The huge chain Best Buy is not even allowing the word Christmas to appear anywhere in its stores this year, either printed or spoken, though, as Wal-Mart learned last year, it may change its rule.
Jim

Jim

Postby fox » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:51 pm

it really wouldn't hurt you to read Balmer's book, nor would it hurt for you to take a close look again at what Richard Land and Jesse Helms and Pressler did to the SBC the last 25 years.
Dan Vestal, loves Jesus, still knows how to preach, and lived down the street in Midland from George W. bush in the 80's.
He gets it; you do not and what is sad refuse to read Balmer and follow Bruce Prescott daily
Read Jumpin' Jim Crow, from Civil War to Civil Rights. Read that bout what the great Blue Laws did in the 50's.
there is a sense in which Andrew Young was aching for some of the sentiment you express; Andrew aching yesterday in his emotional speech in the embrace of Jesse Jackson and John Lewis.
But where you differ with them on church state, where you look the other way while Richard Land continues to use CP dollars as a PAC to Pac transfer to Karl Rove and His Great Mistake of the last 20 years is ungodly.
The weight still comes down with Goldberg and Prescott and Balmer, and you and Nancy Ammerman are more out to lunch than seated at the Great Banquet of Truett, marney and Jesus Christ.
INFORMED GADFLY

fox

Postby Jim » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:27 pm

F: Dan Vestal, loves Jesus, still knows how to preach, and lived down the street in Midland from George W. bush in the 80's.

J: Vestal is a good preacher. I heard him about six weeks ago when he preached in the church of my membership (I listened by radio that day). It had to do with the missional [sic] thing that is the thrust of CBF doings now…actually another term for mission work.

F: But where you differ with them on church state, where you look the other way while Richard Land continues to use CP dollars as a PAC to Pac transfer to Karl Rove and His Great Mistake of the last 20 years is ungodly.

J: I suppose you mean the auditors at SBC can’t catch Land…or maybe they don’t want to? Now that WOULD be ungodly, the scoundrels!

F: The weight still comes down with Goldberg and Prescott and Balmer, and you and Nancy Ammerman are more out to lunch than seated at the Great Banquet of Truett, marney and Jesus Christ.

J: Ah well…you can’t win ’em all. Do you suppose Marney would fire up his pipe at the same table with…oh no, of course not. When you’re banqueting there, think of me stuck in that other place eating charcoal-burned Chick-Fil-A with the rest of the theocrats.
Jim

Had

Postby fox » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:47 pm

INFORMED GADFLY

fox

Had a good

Postby fox » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:28 pm

INFORMED GADFLY

fox

For the Record

Postby fox » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:20 pm

INFORMED GADFLY