Oh, Brother (Pat)

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Is Pat Robertson the anti-Christ?

Yes
8%
No
23%
Maybe
69%

Total votes : 13

Postby wilkey » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:22 pm

Can't wait to see the Daily Show tonight and see their take on this pearl of wisdom!
wilkey

Postby Sandy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:19 pm

If I believed in the fairy-tale of premillenial dispensationalism, I think I'd have to cast my vote for Pat being one of the top five candidates for the Anti-Christ, especially now that Ronnie Reagan has reincarnated somewhere. Oliver North is still lurking around somewhere, though. He's still my #1 pick for Antichrist.

I did think it was interesting that at least two local news stations had trouble finding anyone who watched the 700 Club to get their comment. According to one of them, the ratings service shows that the 700 Club doesn't have enough viewers in the Houston area to show up on the chart. Lakewood people must watch something else.

Pat keeps making pronouncements and comments, and following them up with that stupid laugh, like anyone in either the Religious Right or Republican Party is still listening to anything he has to say. Well, this one sure got their attention.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:38 am

I hope this one is enough to finally force ABC Family to buy out his 700 Club contract negotiated when he sold his network to them. Then maybe Pat could just go collect on his diamond mines in obscurity. Of course, he still gets faith-based-initiative money for his Operation Blessing. Despite all his protests to help out during natural disasters, in our community we had to wait for Alabama Baptists to arrive to fix meals, not Pat's crews who were only 90 miles away. Of course, there were no TV cameras running here then. I guess you can tell, I have little use for Pat and his kind. The advocacy of murder ought to turn someone off.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby mlovell » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:50 am

Robertson's going to have a lot of trouble selling that "there are other ways to take out someone" bologna (spelling per Oscar Mayer commercial). :)

Those who didn't see his statement and want to can go to the CNN story about it, click on the video link in the story, hear for yourselves what he said, and decide for yourselves what he meant.
mlovell

Postby Ricky P. » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:51 am

:D Anti-Christ, no :!: :!: Idiot, yes :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Ricky P.

Postby mlovell » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:42 pm

CNN's got another story up on Robertson's effort to backpedal. I like their approach. First they quote his "I was misinterpreted by AP" claim, which includes the line "I didn't say assassination" -- and then they quote his Monday statement.
"I didn't say 'assassination.' I said our special forces should 'take him out.' And 'take him out' can be a number of things, including kidnapping; there are a number of ways to take out a dictator from power besides killing him. I was misinterpreted by the AP [Associated Press], but that happens all the time," Robertson said on "The 700 Club" program. . . .

"If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think we really ought to go ahead and do it," said Robertson on Monday's program. "It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war. We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

Live by the mouth, die by the mouth. (I don't mean assassination, btw.)

:D
mlovell

Postby Haruo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:11 pm

mlovell wrote:
Pat wrote:"I didn't say 'assassination.'"

Earlier, Pat said and then someone wrote:"If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think we really ought to go ahead and do it,"

Live by the mouth, die by the mouth. (I don't mean assassination, btw.)

But he's telling the truth. He didn't say "assassination", he said "assassinate". Two entirely different words, just look at them.

Haruo
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby mlovell » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:27 pm

But someone finally convinced him he'd misspoken, apparently.
CNN - (CNN) -- Conservative religious broadcaster Pat Robertson apologized Wednesday for calling for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez during Monday's broadcast of his "700 Club" program.

"Is it right to call for assassination? No, and I apologize for that statement," he said in a written statement.

AND got him to write it out -- less room for being taken out of context, I suppose.

mlovell

Postby Norm » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:31 pm

Ya'll leave Brother Pat alone; it is quite clear that he meant to take him out to supper and gently scold him after dessert. Aren't people aware of the extensive black-tie dinner training we provide special forces?
Norm

Parham

Postby fox » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:00 pm

Robert Parham's quotes in this review on Pat are especially poignant as they related to fundies and the US Republican Party.
What has Karl Rove and Richard Land said about Robertson's remarks.
How many more Curtis Caine's are out there? Remember him?

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/article_detail.cfm?AID=6195
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Postby Sandy » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:36 pm

The justice department under Adolf, er, John Ashcroft scooped people up and put them away without a trial for saying less threatening things than Robertson.

The thought that America would hide behind the 9-11 attacks in taking out a two bit Middle Eastern dictator in Iraq has caused the world to shudder, especially when it became quite clear he had nothing to do with 9-11. The pathetic attempts of the Bush administration to defend its invasion hasn't helped the image of the US. Now a religious right wing leader comes along and openly advocates the removal, by whatever means he might have been suggesting, of the elected leader of one of the few stable democracies in Latin America. That's not going to earn Bubdub any favors internationally, it will quite likely contribute to his near-record low job approval rating at home.

The best damage control Bush could do would be to have Robertson arrested and jailed without a trial under the Patriot Act. Some of the negative publicity might go away then. Maybe.

I'm hoping that there are a few more stupid remarks and idiotic policy decisions left in the religious right's leadership and the Bush administration to generate enough votes to put the opposition party back in power in Congress, so they can get along with impeachment proceedings against someone who has actually done something to deserve it.
Sandy
Sandy

Re: Parham

Postby rdenton » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:57 pm

fox wrote:Robert Parham's quotes in this review on Pat are especially poignant as they related to fundies and the US Republican Party.
What has Karl Rove and Richard Land said about Robertson's remarks.
How many more Curtis Caine's are out there? Remember him?

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/article_detail.cfm?AID=6195

Yes we remember Curtis Caine, but Land did repudiate his remarks.
rdenton

Postby rdenton » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:59 pm

Sandy wrote:The justice department under Adolf, er, John Ashcroft scooped people up and put them away without a trial for saying less threatening things than Robertson.

The thought that America would hide behind the 9-11 attacks in taking out a two bit Middle Eastern dictator in Iraq has caused the world to shudder, especially when it became quite clear he had nothing to do with 9-11. The pathetic attempts of the Bush administration to defend its invasion hasn't helped the image of the US. Now a religious right wing leader comes along and openly advocates the removal, by whatever means he might have been suggesting, of the elected leader of one of the few stable democracies in Latin America. That's not going to earn Bubdub any favors internationally, it will quite likely contribute to his near-record low job approval rating at home.

The best damage control Bush could do would be to have Robertson arrested and jailed without a trial under the Patriot Act. Some of the negative publicity might go away then. Maybe.

I'm hoping that there are a few more stupid remarks and idiotic policy decisions left in the religious right's leadership and the Bush administration to generate enough votes to put the opposition party back in power in Congress, so they can get along with impeachment proceedings against someone who has actually done something to deserve it.

And Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus in dealing with certain Maryland politicians during the Civil War. Do you want to go after him as well?
rdenton

Postby mlovell » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:43 am

Fair's fair -- so here's Mohler's response to Robertson.
From an email newsletter from the Dallas News religion staff -- “With unmistakable clarity and an apparent lack of self-consciousness, Robertson simply called for an assassination, presumably to be undertaken by U.S. military forces in violation of U.S. law.

“In so doing he gave the Venezuelan leader a propaganda gold mine, embarrassed the Bush administration, and left millions of viewers perplexed and troubled. More importantly, he brought shame to the cause of Christ. This is the kind of outrageous statement that makes evangelism all the more difficult. Missing from the entire context is the Christian understanding that violence can never be blessed as a good, but may only be employed under circumstances that would justify the limited use of lethal force in order to prevent even greater violence. Our witness to the Gospel is inevitably and deeply harmed when a recognized Christian leader casually recommends the assassination of a world leader.” -- Al Mohler's blog
mlovell

Postby Hal Eaton » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:49 am

Re: the poll: Is Pat Robertson the Anti-Christ?

I take great comfort in the one Good Book reference which sez, " . . .the spirit of antichrist . . ."

I suggest that no ONE will ever fill the bill of antichrist, but that our religious leaders and spokesmen, Christian and non-Christian alike, often express a spirit of antichrist in much of their God-speak noodling.
Hal Eaton

Postby David Flick » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:45 am

Hal Eaton wrote:Re: the poll: Is Pat Robertson the Anti-Christ?

I take great comfort in the one Good Book reference which sez, " . . .the spirit of antichrist . . ."

I suggest that no ONE will ever fill the bill of antichrist, but that our religious leaders and spokesmen, Christian and non-Christian alike, often express a spirit of antichrist in much of their God-speak noodling.

Also, Oldad, you have 1 John 2:18, which declares that there are many antichrists. This verse blows Dispensational Premillennialism out of the water because there's no place in the Bible that declares there will be one specific "Antichrist". But I digress..

I don't doubt Herr Robertson's salvation, but I would include him in a list of antichrists. Robertson’s actions and demeanor regarding the assassination of that dictator from Venezuela is definitely anti-christlike. I can't believe that Jesus Christ would advocate what Robertson did.
David Flick
Site Admin

Next

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum