[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Jerry Falwell Jr.'s Escapades

Jerry Falwell Jr.'s Escapades

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Jerry Falwell Jr.'s Escapades

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:39 am

I'm surprised no one else here has started a discussion about Jerry's clubbing photos and alleged financially shady land deals.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Re: Jerry Falwell Jr.'s Escapades

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 am

I have had family in Lynchburg most of my life. None of them had much appreciation for Jerry, Sr. They are not there to give me inside scoop on Jerry, Jr. The Falwells have always been wheeling and dealing in real estate and using their influence in local politics to get what they wanted including an exit directly from US 460 bypass onto their campus.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:02 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:58 am

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:30 pm

The story I saw this morning had an entirely different slant, something like "Jerry Falwell, Jr., accuses former members of the board of (regents? trustees? directors?) of Liberty University of criminal conspiracy to depose him as president"; because of the state of our home internet, I was only able to see the headline, not the story itself.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:09 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:47 pm

Do these people plan for this to happen or is it just corruption that occurs after their church gets big and they realize they have power to control people's lives, livelihoods and they have control over a huge amount of money? Did this guy just not believe all of that independent, fundamentalist Baptist gospel or did he just get intoxicated by the fame and fortune?
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:28 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:02 pm

Falwell, Sr. was an authentic innovator and solid guy even if you didn't like his theology or fundraising.

I don't quibble much with my modlib friends over Junior, though. I never understood why the SBC allows Liberty to recruit students at our annual meeting and in our publications.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:14 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:44 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:14 pm

If Falwell had a bad 2019; 2020 is going to get worse. Most of you have, by now, seen the picture of him with his pants unzipped, standing next to a woman with her pants down below her navel (not his wife). Falwell Jr has a drink in his hand, but that could be about anything.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:35 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:54 pm

[quote="William Thornton"]Falwell, Sr. was an authentic innovator and solid guy even if you didn't like his theology or fundraising.

From Gerry Milligan...I stopped noticing the Falwells when Senior came up with "The Moral Majority." Both of those were untrue.
When Bill Clinton lied, no one died...
Joseph Patrick

Postby William Thornton » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:56 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:56 am

When Bill Clinton lied, no one died...
Joseph Patrick

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:06 pm

I'll admit I always notice major league hypocrisy from fundamentalists. It is so entertaining.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:29 am

Junior isn’t being hypocritical. This is his longstanding practice. Trustees allow it because of his successes in expanding enrollment. Same old problem with the trustee system. I’ve never liked that LU is allowed exhibition space at SBC meetings. They are a direct competitor to SBC seminaries and state SBC colleges. It’s all megapastor, celeb driven. Vines is a trustee. Can’t believe would be silent on all this. Fox should do something useful like bulldog that.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:45 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:31 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:28 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:32 am

His original orthodoxy included a Wallace style "segregation forever" type stance. Also, pastors around him regarded his as "a sheep rustler."

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:14 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Return to SBC News and Trends