[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Al Mohler with new family pronouncemen

Al Mohler with new family pronouncemen

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Al Mohler with new family pronouncemen

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:53 am

I'm contemplating Al's tweet. And even without his previous theology about "quivers full" the idea that being "human" and being a "parent" are connected is a pretty poor drive by tweet.

I tried to think of how many people I've known in churches over the years have suffered because they couldn't have children. Or persons I've ministered with who were not able to have as many children as they wanted do to medical issues. Or, persons who never married and thus chose never to have children.

I know these short statements are a function of twitter. But why would you tweet something that would imply that persons who don't/can't/won't have children are not fully human? It sounds more like Mormon theology that Baptist theology.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:55 pm

The responses from the left are predictable. There is nothing more basic to the human race than parenting. We don't exist apart from it. 100% of us have parents. But I understand my lib friends being indignant and feeling aggrieved. You can't have mother's day without apologizing to non mothers etc. Same old story...
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:34 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Mohler needs to read the New Book about the Bible

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:34 pm

I read a brief review in the New Yorker, about four issues back.

And his recent interviewee ( about two years ago) Charles Marsh has a new book, edits a new book Can I get a Witness, 13 Christian Peacemakers and Agitators. Mohler is an agitator for fundamentalism but he didn't make this anthology.

Good Buddy Shurden review in latest Christianethicstoday.com . While there read my latest review in same issue, about four pages past Shurden.

Here it is, me and Buddy Shurden, much better reading
http://www.christianethicstoday.com/wp/ ... CE-113.pdf
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:05 pm

What's disturbing is the attitude that you can't commend anything good if there is anywpossibility someone will be offended. But if mohler is involved I understand that ex and other modlibs will find offense.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:03 pm

William, I have to admit that Mohler is such an easy target. He podcasts every day, whether or not he has anything to say. When you do that and take controversial positions, it's like finding piniata with a beeper embedded. You can even hit it blindfolded.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:18 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:22 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Haruo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:55 pm

From one humongously oversimplified vantage point, having kids is absolutely the A-number-one commandment. It is, indeed, the Number One commandment in the Bible, if you're just looking at commandments aimed at human beings. There are a number of higher-priority commandments addressed to light (or whatever was in charge of seeing that it came to be), firmaments, animals, etc.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:39 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:13 pm

Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:54 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:12 pm

Mohler's pronouncements are everywhere. He blogs, tweets, broadcasts, preaches, podcasts, pontificates frequently. I'll give him credit for consistency, but that's about it.

This sounds like stuff my parents used to say, about the younger generation going to hell in a handbasket, not caring about anything their elders tried to teach them, ignoring God and goodness what will the future look like when "they" are in charge? It will look a lot like it does now, I thought, but often didn't say because convincing them otherwise was pointless.

I have a difficult time discerning statements like this and many similar ones from Mohler and any other "celebrity" preacher because it isn't easy to tell whether they really believe what they say or that they feel compelled to say it because it is the way they earn their living and make themselves fabulously wealthy.
Sandy

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends