[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Nomination by Acclamation

Nomination by Acclamation

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Nomination by Acclamation

Postby Haruo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:47 am

I see , not surprisingly with the Trump campaign's support and perhaps at its "request". Apparently this is intended to deny even the slightest toehold to the challenges being mounted by Walsh & Weld. I was going to get excited about this, but then I read that several states have done likewise in several previous election cycles for the benefit of incumbent presidents of both parties, including Reagan, Clinton, Bush I and Obama. I don't recall hearing about that at the time. In one case it was even Iowa, normally foaming at the mouth with its eagerness to hold its famous caucuses.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Nomination by Acclamation

Postby Sandy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:29 pm

It may depend on the state. I know here you can get on the ballot with 5,000 signatures and a birth certificate and if they have a candidate, they have a primary. I wouldn't expect either Weld or Walsh to have trouble getting that many signatures and meeting a ballot deadline. The nominate by acclamation may be an attempt to avoid the embarrassment of having another candidate run against a sitting president and the possible number of votes they might get. I wouldn't expect either one to win, but I would expect their vote totals to be embarrassingly high against a man whose ego can't handle that kind of opposition. He's going to have a real problem handling it in November of 2020 when "any Democrat running" not only gets enough electoral votes to win, but goes well over the 50% margin of popular vote and gets a mandate. Walsh claims it is because Trump support is not as solid, even among Republicans, as he would like people to believe.

There are a lot more crossover states out there now than there used to be. Trump's campaign may be trying to avoid having to run in primaries where there may be a lot of Democrats who cross over to vote for one of his opponents. I certainly will.
Sandy

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues