SBC Voices

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

SBC Voices

Postby Joseph Patrick » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:58 pm

From Gerry Milligan...Dave Miller has a very interesting article, "Donald Trump, Evangelicals, and Blasphemy." The comments section says a lot about where never-trumpers and trump lovers stand.
Joseph Patrick

Re: SBC Voices

Postby Haruo » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:05 am

I have a comment awaiting moderation.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:40 am

I approved your comment haruo. I daresay, there's not a nevertrumper of SBCV who wouldn't vote for a decent alternative. If any of the current dems get the nomination and maintain their free stuff, Medicare for all, abortion now and forever whenever, reparations, make America apologize again, etc., many of the nevertrumpers become hold your nose and vote trumpers.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:56 am

William Thornton wrote:I approved your comment haruo. I daresay, there's not a nevertrumper of SBCV who wouldn't vote for a decent alternative. If any of the current dems get the nomination and maintain their free stuff, Medicare for all, abortion now and forever whenever, reparations, make America apologize again, etc., many of the nevertrumpers become hold your nose and vote trumpers.

Nope, that's not going to happen. Trump is making nevertrumpers out of a good segment of Republicans. Most voters know campaigning is exactly that. The Democrats are pretty much free to debate policy and practice all they want because in November of 2020, they're going to win big. This movement started shortly after he was elected, when voters woke up and realized staying home had consequences and the consequences were electing an orange headed buffoon to the presidency. That won't happen again.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... spartandhp

https://nuntiatum.home.blog/2019/08/19/ ... y-in-2020/
Sandy
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:14 am

This just in...Hil to win by a landslide, insists my old Dem friend Sandy. Maybe we could go ahead and have this election like we did in 2016.

Already, there are a couple of NTs on SBCV who will likely come off the bench and vote for trump. Anecdotal, bur polls don't mean squat now.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:19 am

Immorality, pathological lying, philandering, fraud, and owning strip clubs didn't seem to move Evangelicals much from their support for the genital-grabber-in-chief. But I'd take bets that this, involving money, will move some of them.

After all, it is about the economy, right?
Sandy
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:02 pm

Haruo, you and Gerry give 'em heck on Voices. Tell 'em you've been to the Ussr. That oughta stir things up.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:27 pm

Sandy wrote:Immorality, pathological lying, philandering, fraud, and owning strip clubs didn't seem to move Evangelicals much from their support for the genital-grabber-in-chief. But I'd take bets that this, involving money, will move some of them.

After all, it is about the economy, right?

I pray that you are right Sandy. But I've lost all confidence in the system. I think we would elect Satan himself as President if he was publicly anti-abortion.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:54 pm

William Thornton wrote:I approved your comment haruo. I daresay, there's not a nevertrumper of SBCV who wouldn't vote for a decent alternative. If any of the current dems get the nomination and maintain their free stuff, Medicare for all, abortion now and forever whenever, reparations, make America apologize again, etc., many of the nevertrumpers become hold your nose and vote trumpers.

From Gerry Milligan...William, I wonder if any republican could agree on a "decent alternative." You have listed a plethora of reasons you could not find a "decent alternative" but wonder if all of you single-issue voters actually look at what each candidate is espousing?
Joseph Patrick

Postby William Thornton » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:28 am

Joseph Patrick wrote:

From Gerry Milligan...William, I wonder if any republican could agree on a "decent alternative." You have listed a plethora of reasons you could not find a "decent alternative" but wonder if all of you single-issue voters actually look at what each candidate is espousing?

Find a single issue voter and ask.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:09 am

William Thornton wrote:
Joseph Patrick wrote:

Find a single issue voter and ask.

From Gerry Milligan...I did, and you ducked
Joseph Patrick

Postby William Thornton » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:34 am

Less presumption, more intelligence would serve you well, Gerry.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:23 pm

William Thornton wrote:Less presumption, more intelligence would serve you well, Gerry.

From Gerry Milligan...I see you are back in your Ernest T. Bass mode...what do you know of my intelligence? Your continuous referral to abortion leads one to assume that is your main issue.
Joseph Patrick

Postby William Thornton » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:31 pm

Joseph Patrick wrote:
William Thornton wrote:Less presumption, more intelligence would serve you well, Gerry.

From Gerry Milligan...I see you are back in your Ernest T. Bass mode...what do you know of my intelligence? Your continuous referral to abortion leads one to assume that is your main issue.

What do,you know of my voting patterns and rationale? Nothing except that I didn't vote for trump, a fact you ignore. Willful ignorance, I suppose.

You're not very good at this.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:00 am

Joseph Patrick wrote:From Gerry Milligan...I did, and you ducked

Single issue voters rarely admit to such. Most Evangelicals try to get around the single issue argument by claiming "philosophical differences" with the Democrats that are incompatible with a "Christian worldview." There's a code language involved and they do a lot of what I call "ideological convolutions" to be against things that Democrats promote which really do fit well into a Christian worldview. William's rhetoric about "free stuff, medicare for all, abortion now and forever whenever, reparations, make America apologize again, etc, " is a good example. Straw men, mostly mischaracterizations that come from the billionaire special insterests who don't want to pay their fair share of taxes but want to reap all the benefits.

But take heart. Eyes are opening and genuine convictions are trumping politics (pardon the pun). White Evangelical support for orange hair has dropped from 82% in 2016 to 78% in February 2017 to 69% in March of this year. White Catholic support has also dropped. You know, those "polls" which don't mean anything, but which were impeccably accurate in predicting the results of the 2018 midterms. And this all happening before the Democrats even have a nominee.

And if the science of predicting politics interests youhttps://www.salon.com/2019/08/17/thi ... -forecast/
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:43 pm

Sandy wrote:Straw men, mostly mischaracterizations that come from the billionaire special insterests who don't want to pay their fair share of taxes but want to reap all the benefits.

Yes, this is one of the things I don't get about the "conservative" mindset (among nonbillionaires, that is, or among billionaires with a modicum of self-awareness): the notion that a homeless person and a billionaire should be taxed at the same rate. The homeless person may actually (especially under a Democratic regime) gain some tangible benefits from "the system" that the taxes support, perhaps even a tiny house to call her own and maybe a minimal income stream if Yang wins, but the benefits reaped by the billionaire are astronomically greater. A billionaire whose current income is taxed at, say, 37%, is far less inconvenienced by that, far less stressed out, than a person earning $50,000 a year who is taxed at 22%.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues