[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Amy Butler

Amy Butler

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: Amy Butler

Postby KeithE » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:34 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:11 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Haven't found it.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:48 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:51 am

Rockefeller church. They can afford it.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:01 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:26 pm

Looks to me like one of the arguments for doing away with churches' property tax exemption. The land Riverside sits on, even if historic-landmark rules require the building to stay, is worth a heck of a lot of money.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:30 am

I guess I'm a bit surprised by the incident at the conference in Minnesota which seems to be the catalyst for this. Yeah I know times have changed and this is one of the bastions of liberal Christianity, but I think there was a boundary that was crossed when it comes to the decorum and behavior expected of someone who is a senior pastor of a church, regardless of its theological perspective or denominational affiliation. There was a time and a place when ministers and church members alike were cautious about being seen in a restaurant that served alcohol or had a bar. Perhaps there were other things going on within the church as well, but I think Rev. Butler made a poor decision and set a poor example.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:38 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:59 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:10 am

Since most communities give a property tax exemption to all non-profit organizations, the question of property tax becomes a wash in church/state arguments. I think William would only tax liberal churches with large endowments, surely not the crossroads churches all across Georgia.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:01 pm

Dave, did William say something about the property tax elsewhere? I haven't noticed that he mentioned it here.

Thanks.
Rvaughn

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:09 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:07 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:26 pm

I'm afraid I don't get the "golden parachute" deals that are given out in cases like this. The newspaper reports don't give specifics, but salary negotiations for a new contract weren't headed where she wanted prior to the incident at the sex toy store in Minnesota. Perhaps the church leadership didn't think she warranted a $100,000 raise and I'd have to agree with that in principle. I can't think of a scenario that would warrant that big of a raise in a church pastorate. That's a third of what she was already earning.

She made a bad choice, going to a sex toy shop with church members and staff members. I know she has been an icon of the moderate-to-liberal Baptists as one of the early female pastors in what was at the time an SBC pulpit at Calvary DC, and Riverside is a liberal church, but this was a mistake made in poor judgement if the Post's description of it is accurate. That has to be disappointing to some of her supporters.

Pastoring churches is not easy and I think that many of the women who emerged from the SBC and moved forward to pastor more moderate to liberal congregations were pretty idealistic at the outset, but have met with the same quagmire of issues that is part of church life, second guessing their own leadership decisions, content of sermons and watching out for events, issues and personal feelings of congregants that can turn south in a hurry. In some cases, issues became more complicated because they were women pastors in idealistic, progressive churches that had no real system of support for them as women, and no real precedent for dealing with those same kinds of problems. Several of those high profile individuals, Amy Butler among them, have been in situations that did not turn out well and which were more complicated because of their gender.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:16 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:20 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:24 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:26 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:48 am

ED: Yep, This kind of stuff it makes it tough on conservative to Moderate female pastors.

BTW Sandy Calvary BC in D.C is an ABC-USA Church and was such when Amy Butler was pastor there. If you go to the post card section of BL.C And go to Washington DC in the Index you will find Calvary and Shiloh Baptist Churches listed. Clicking on Calvary You will see 2 Pictures one is of the building and the other Is a brass plate stating that in1907 the Northern Baptist Convention was founded there.

The denominational name has since been changed twice

It is true that AMY like many of us had once been Southern Baptist.
JE Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:36 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:25 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Major unpacking of Butler's exit

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:28 pm

now at baptistnews.com
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Letter response

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:49 pm