[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Fetal manslaughter by proxy

Fetal manslaughter by proxy

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Fetal manslaughter by proxy

Postby Haruo » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:49 am

Apparently there is a case in Alabama where a pregnant woman started an argument with another woman in a parking lot. The argument escalated, the other woman pulled a gun and shot the first one, not killing her, but killing the unborn child. A grand jury has now decided not to indict the woman who killed the fetus, but to indict the wounded and bereaved woman who started the argument for manslaughter. This has my brain doing weird stuff trying to wrap itself around the jury's reasoning. Does it make more sense somehow (and if so, how?) to those of you nearer ground zero, Keith, Neil, William, Stephen? I was on my way via Google News to try to get a handle on it, when I was waylaid by my desire to investigate Fox's (at that point as far as I could see non-existent) coverage of the Trump Birther Kamala Birther Tweet imbroglio. That's another thread.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Fetal manslaughter by proxy

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:03 am

Rvaughn

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:09 am

I don't get it. I find it confusing as well Haruo.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:28 am

It is good to have John Archibald back and writing news commentary for Alabama - he had taken a leave of absent.

Here is his take on this matter:

He, like the new district attorney in that Western Birmingham suburb area, have not decided on what charges should be filed against Marshee Jones or Ebony Jemison. Should it be 3rd degree murder, manslaughter? or assault? or treat as an accident? I'd be for declaring it an accident if it appears the young women involved have learned their lessons (but I have not heard /seen anything about their attitudes). I always believe in being redemptive. Our prisons in AL and most other states are not very rehabilitative.

----------------

But John goes on to point out the hypocrisy of Alabama lawmakers/governors who have (by their grandstanding in refusing Medicaid funding), caused far more infants to die. Few are even thinking about challenging these lawmakers (thanks John), let alone charge them.

Look at the correlation between states with high infant mortality rates and states that have refused Medicaid expansion:

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:26 pm

Thanks, Keith. That does put it in a lot better perspective, and knowing the dates involved is also very helpful, Robert. The "punishment for unintended consequences of one's actions" bit is priceless. I'm interested in knowing why my radio station here in Seattle just out of the blue decided to pull this case up a few days ago and harping on it for days. Was the trigger the prosecutor's office statement, or what? I'm sure I'll never know.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:32 pm

I still have my struggles with not indicting the woman who fired the gun.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:38 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:14 pm

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:32 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:36 pm

Surely grand juries—especially in Alabama—are colorblind.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:39 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:27 am

I heard this morning that the manslaughter charges had been filed against the woman who was pregnant.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:42 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:32 pm

Rvaughn

Postby KeithE » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:09 pm

Thanks for the info, Keith. I had not followed up on it to see if anything else had happened.

Laying aside the manslaughter issue, I'm not fond of public brawls and gunfire in front a Dollar General store! Perhaps there should be some kind of charges for all of those involved for that.
Rvaughn

Postby KeithE » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:34 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues