[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - The Great Democratic Debate Circus, Part One

The Great Democratic Debate Circus, Part One

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: The Great Democratic Debate Circus, Part One

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:28 am

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:27 am

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:52 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:15 am

Sandy

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:57 am

After reading William's evaluation, I'd say the debates were highly successful in getting their message across. They did a good job to generate that much grumbling. ; - )

The Democrats are always going to identify with issues and campaign to move one they think is particularly pressing to a point where they become personally identified with it. Even with the anti-Trump vote being at the top of the priority list, the responses stuck more with how to resolve problems related to the issues than with childish name calling and finger pointing. They addressed specific issues at the top of voters' concerns list. Health care, particularly saving as much of the ACA as possible, was one of the top reasons why the Democrats flipped the House in 2018 and flipped so many governorships and state houses, right up there with "do something about Trump." The candidates repeatedly hit on the themes of health care reform, tax structure inequities, jobs in manufacturing sectors Trump has failed to deliver (coal, the auto industry), and continued racism resulting in social inequities and voter suppression. Everything there is 50% or more on the upside of voter interests.
Sandy

Postby David Flick » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:36 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:48 pm

David, what sort of spyware do you use to find out whether Sandy had heard of Stitt till last night? I probably had heard of him before, but the knowledge hadn't stuck, so your Wikipedia is more or less on target if aimed at me, but you aimed it at Sandy. Or are you so anti-liberal that you think he and I are interchangeable?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:36 pm

Sandy

Postby David Flick » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:57 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:23 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:06 am

https://splinternews.com/reckoning-with ... 1830319375

Never heard of splinternews until I saw the link in the Times.
Sandy

Postby David Flick » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:59 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:19 pm

From Gerry Milligan...after following this thread, I am happy to learn that Earnest T. Bass is still alive and kicking. I leave it to your imagination as to which posters most resemble Earnest.
Joseph Patrick

Postby Haruo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:19 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:57 pm

Joseph Patrick

Postby David Flick » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:44 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:06 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:03 am

Personal preference aside, whenever I hear that something was on Fox News of any importance, I look up the fact checkers who for the most part tend to lean conservative. Fox News never gets the facts straight. If a Fox news report said grass is green, I'd have to go outside and make sure. That's how bad they are.

The Times is the most reputable news source in the world. To date, when it is cited and someone here criticizes it because it is the New York Times, no evidence to counter their accuracy has ever been offered, just vague, nebulous opinion. Apparently, it's readership gives it tremendous credibility. 130 million readers, and growing exponentially during the Trump era.

For a long time, you could read the Times online for free. But the printed newspaper business is shrinking and revenue from print ads is dropping everywhere. The Times, along with the Washington Post, have transitioned to being electronic newsrooms with more circulation than a paper could give them, but now you have to subscribe to read the content. I think the "first click free" policy is passing on. I live in a 55+ senior high rise now, so I go out on the balcony in the morning with my coffee and "read the paper" on my laptop. I subscribe to the Times, the Post, and the Arizona Daily Star. MSNBC I watch by podcast on my phone.

I still get my newspaper fix thumbing through an actual paper, which I enjoy, by ordering my hometown newspaper via print copy through the mail. It is a weekly, so it doesn't really matter that it is a week old when it arrives. And I get the print copy of the Chicago Tribune on Sunday.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/new-y ... 2019-02-06

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-new ... rs-2017-12
Sandy

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues