[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - The Candidate's Positions

The Candidate's Positions

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

The Candidate's Positions

Postby KeithE » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:50 pm

Click on any picture for a 500 word summary of their known positions.

I’ll spend some more time reviewing. Marianne Williamson is interesting and thoughtful. We do need a spiritual revival. Might be the most Christ-following of the candidates (different than Biblicist or what has become to known as “Christian”). But she is too inexperienced at public service and I disagree with her on Reparations. Still I’m open. Still like Kamala Harris’s demeanor.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: The Candidate's Positions

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:02 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:14 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:43 pm

Last edited by KeithE on Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:17 pm

Other than as an occasional issue to drag out when the chips are way down and they need something to rile up the evangelical wing, most Republicans are perfectly fine with abortion and could care less whether it ends, is restricted or goes on. Most prefer the latter so they can use it and never have to be accountable to their constituents for lying about their position, which usually involves no more than mere words. And their actions show it a lot more than their flapping lips and shrieking voices.

There is some variety among this democratic field. One of the things which makes Democrats superior to Republicans is that support for candidates allows some disagreement, divergence in perspective and difference of opinion and your vote isn't locked into a candidates specific view on one or two hot button issues. Republicans have never seemed capable of expanding beyond one sided agendas and issue-driven rigidity. I guess that's good if you don't have a lot of support from people who think for themselves and have a measue of intelligence.

What will wind up happening here is that as the primaries pass and the field narrows on the Democratic side, most of the issues will get picked up and included in the campaigns of others. A rich deposit of diverse political thought will become part of the Democratic platform which will benefit a much broader group of Americans than the narrow minded bigotry of the GOP aimed at only prosperous WASPs. There will be some social issues on their platform with which I disagree, support for abortion being one of them, but I'm not a single issue voter. But If you only evaluate a position based on its popularity and potential to get votes, the Republicans lose the abortion debate hands down locked away and headed out of town.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:54 pm

OK I’ve read a lot at and listened to speeches at
and I currently favor Elizabeth Warren.

She has a more complete set of policy proposals than anyone. I.e. she would come into office with well studied proposals- read them at and dive into her links at the above. These proposals will help people!! A lot!! .

And to her credit she discusses how to fund them (wealth taxes, replace Trump tax cut with one aimed at the middle class, 7% tax on profits over $100M, repatriation fines/taxes, financial transaction tax {with Sander’s Medicare-for-All Plan that she cosigned}). And she sees capitalism as the engine but it has to have rules. Correctamundo!.

We would move towards the type of society that the Scandinavian enjoy (and they do enjoy it) with a moderately progressive income tax and a flatter/less loopholed/less special issue subsidied/lower corporate tax rates (seems to be aligned with Stiglitz's proposals in his absolutely great book ). This is yet to be totally enumerated but it appears feasible and she and Sanders are the only candidates that discuss funding their proposals adequately.

If you are so inclined, Stiglitz’s book is excellent.

My previous reluctance about Warren was her temperament (she seemed a little too emotional and not enough explaining her positions analytically/coolly). Harris seems better on that demeanor issue.

But listened to:

She has been calm, cool, clear since becoming a candidate from what I’vs seen (unlike several previous interviews over the last ten years). She’s learning!

Read her experiences at the border:

Perceptive but I have not seen her Immigration Reform proposals yet.

The other issue I’m not agreement with, is her abortion opinions.

But overall at this time I’m for Warren (I’m not a single issue person and if I were there would be nobody that agrees with me 100% - thankfully).

What are your thoughts?
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:46 pm

You don't have to have 100% agreement on everything if you're a Democrat. I disagree with most Democrats on their position on abortion. But I'm not willing to accept the consequences of voting for incompetent, inept, corrupt politicians just because they say they are against abortion. Voting for someone doesn't make you any more responsible for abortion than the politician who votes in favor of a pro-choice position. The decision and the responsibility lie with the individuals who make the choice, the pregnant female and the male who got her that way. Their hearts will not be changed because of the way a particular politician voted. And as we already know, making it illegal won't change their mind and won't stop them.

I like Elizabeth Warren mainly because she is quite practical in terms of addressing issues. She talks in terms that people understand and can explain complicated problems and their potential solutions. As far as her "electability" goes, I think she's already ahead of orange hair in the credible head to head polls. It won't take her long to gather a high level of appeal on the campaign trail and head to head debates with orange hair would seal her victory in a landslide.

The more I see and hear him, the more I like Pete Buttigieg. He'd only add to the strength of a ticket as a running mate with Warren, Biden or Sanders, and he'd win if he were at the top of the ticket as well.
Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:09 am

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:04 am

Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:30 pm

Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:21 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:56 pm

Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:35 am

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:30 am

I think most Democrats have pretty much committed to vote for whoever the nominee is because he isn't Trump. This is a year away from when they will know who they've decided to vote for.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:12 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:02 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:42 pm

I pretty much don't care who the Democrat is that is chosen. I'm voting fo the Dem named "Not Trump." It isn't that I'm not interested in the policies. But as I've yet to hear one of them say anything about grabbing women's parts, declaring Nazis part of "good people on both sides" or calling 3rd world countries "sh*tholes," they are more deserving of my vote than the current occupant. But then so is my dog and the mailman he barks at everyday.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:31 pm

Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:55 am

Rvaughn

Postby KeithE » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:29 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:25 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:28 pm

Sandy

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:32 pm

I think the biggest gift to every Democrat running for President from the orange headed buffoon was his comment that he doesn't see a problem with a foreign government offering to provide "dirt" on a political opponent.

The man hates America and is laughing up his sleeve at the total ignorance his base exhibits. Seems like he gets great pleasure out of doing and saying the stupidest of things and having his twitter feed ooh and ahh at his stupidity.
Sandy

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues