Gender identity

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Gender identity

Postby Haruo » Sat May 25, 2019 6:04 pm

Perhaps more divisive than sexual orientation, it seems to me, is the matter of gender identity. It goes far beyond "What is your preferred pronoun?" Have any of your churches or associations had to deal with these issues, or chosen to minister to the trans population.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Gender identity

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat May 25, 2019 9:34 pm

Haruo wrote:Perhaps more divisive than sexual orientation, it seems to me, is the matter of gender identity. It goes far beyond "What is your preferred pronoun?" Have any of your churches or associations had to deal with these issues, or chosen to minister to the trans population.

Ed: Hauro, I am not sure of the distinction you make here,
JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sun May 26, 2019 1:07 am

Between sex and gender? Orientation and identity? I'm not 100% up on this stuff myself. Three recent events I've attended have asked those registering to put their preferred pronouns on their nametags. Use of particular restroom facilities (especially in North Carolina) is another facet. Hiring, medical coverage, marriage are some other areas where it might be a concern. In secular contexts, at least here in Seattle, and in the shapenote and Esperanto movements it's becoming a worldwide topic of interest.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby James » Sun May 26, 2019 4:03 pm

I think HBC might literally fracture itself to death thinking about the trans folks in our church.

On all the sexuality issues, the Bible is almost silent. There are a few whispers about homosexuality and silence abounds over the rest of the debate. If God is as upset about homosexuality as the homophobic literalists think He is, why did He not make himself clear about it and the other sexual identity problems in the Ten Commandments.

Thanks for bringing our attention to the rest of the problem.
James North
CBF, Virginia
Born again by God's free grace
James

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:52 am

Haruo wrote:Perhaps more divisive than sexual orientation, it seems to me, is the matter of gender identity. It goes far beyond "What is your preferred pronoun?" Have any of your churches or associations had to deal with these issues, or chosen to minister to the trans population.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner! I know several people who consider themselves to be trans or gender fluid. But, so far, I don't know anyone in the small town I'm pastoring in. So it doesn't give a lot of opportunity for ministry. But, the Reconciling (Welcoming and Affirming) statement my church adopted includes full acceptance of LGBTQ+ people.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:55 am

Haruo wrote:Between sex and gender? Orientation and identity? I'm not 100% up on this stuff myself. Three recent events I've attended have asked those registering to put their preferred pronouns on their nametags. Use of particular restroom facilities (especially in North Carolina) is another facet. Hiring, medical coverage, marriage are some other areas where it might be a concern. In secular contexts, at least here in Seattle, and in the shapenote and Esperanto movements it's becoming a worldwide topic of interest.

The conversation does continue to evolve. But as I've done some teaching on sexuality topics, biological gender, gender identity, and sexual orientation are all different categories. So there is a good bit of complicated terminology that changes often that young adults seem to take in stride better than my generation does.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:57 am

On the subject of gender identity, I saw a cartoon where Jesus said he identified as male even though the virgin birth meant that he didn't have a "Y" chromosome. Never considered that before.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:31 am

Neil Heath wrote:On the subject of gender identity, I saw a cartoon where Jesus said he identified as male even though the virgin birth meant that he didn't have a "Y" chromosome. Never considered that before.

That hadn’t occurred to me either. But then I’m not sure we know how the biology of the virgin birth actually works.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:54 am

If necessary, God can always raise up a Y chromosome from the potato bugs under the paving stones. Seems to me Jesus is up in the air, but the Archetypal Christ has to be both.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:58 am

Neil Heath wrote:On the subject of gender identity, I saw a cartoon where Jesus said he identified as male even though the virgin birth meant that he didn't have a "Y" chromosome. Never considered that before.

Now that's something that can wake you up to think about in the middle of the night.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:42 am

I posted it on Facebook, after changing "cartoon" to "place".
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:45 am

A response from shapenoter Chris Noren (related to Keith? don't recall):
Old genetics joke: The H in “Jesus H. Christ” stands for Haploid.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:24 am

Haruo wrote:A response from shapenoter Chris Noren (related to Keith? don't recall):
Old genetics joke: The H in “Jesus H. Christ” stands for Haploid.

My cousin Ron Noren (Portland OR) has a 35-45 year old son Chris (wife- Lexi). I believe he went to Southwestern Sem in Texas (but have no idea what he is up to now or if he is a "shapenoter").

In all likelihood it is this guy. Christopher Noren - LinkedIn PHD from UC Berkeley who is a long time Sacred Harp singer/composer, "Chemist, Homebrewer, and Irrepressible Raconteur" from MA. He knows what I didn’t know - what a “haploid” is.

I had one mutual friend with this Christopher Noren that being David Ivey who goes to our church and is an active Sacred Harp conductor and my daughter's SS teacher - good guy. I believe rvaughn knows David Ivey.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:52 pm

Yes, I know both Chris and David. Good guys.
Rvaughn

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum