[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - A point worth making about Niebuhr and this Trump Moment

A point worth making about Niebuhr and this Trump Moment

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

A point worth making about Niebuhr and this Trump Moment

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:10 pm

https://rewire.news/religion-dispatches ... 1-misstep/

This one is hard to digest and I wish it could be said more Lincolnesque, but maybe we are past Lincoln in a faith dystopian world. I'm not sure what the parable is about the NRA that allays the fears raised today on NPR Fresh Air about white extremism, white nationalism, and Trump's dog whistles. The Fearful new normal

I am bent to have The Dying of Whiteness as my next read. I still have great affection for the blue collar people who put food on my table in Gaffney SC from 62-78. How do you embrace that memory and fight the menace of Trump and Adrian Rogers legacy knowing in your gut for all your mother and father's prayerful, earnest efforts, almost all the children of the folks they baptized are now in the Trump column.

Niebuhr has a great quote to set off the last chapter of Jill Lepore's These Truths, the recent history of America with the great quote by Frank Norris who said he was born fighting in the dog fennel.

Hope some of you read it
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: A point worth making about Niebuhr and this Trump Moment

Postby William Thornton » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:36 pm

Totally unintelligible. About right for my old friend.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues