[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Death of Dr. Paul Simmons

Death of Dr. Paul Simmons

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Death of Dr. Paul Simmons

Postby Neil Heath » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:29 pm

Posted by Buddy Shurden today:
-------------------------
Dr. Paul Simmons:
Dr. Paul Simmons died last night in Louisville, Ky. A long time professor of Christian Ethics at Southern Seminary, he was, for my money, the most brilliant, courageous, and progressive Christian ethicist among Baptists of our time. A man of deep faith, he took on the hard issues and never winced.

Visitation will be at Pearson Funeral Home at 149 Breckinridge Lane in Louisville on Sunday, March 24, beginning at 2 pm. Memorial Service on Monday, March 25, at 11:00 at Broadway Baptist Church.

Prayers and blessings for the family.
---------------------------
I was one of many who benefited from his scholarship and his example, and I mourn his passing.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Re: Death of Dr. Paul Simmons

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:40 am

I had Dr. Simmons for Christian Ethics at SBTS. I remember enjoying the class.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:11 pm

I was in one of his first classes while he was still completing his PhD. He always has held my respect for his consistency.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:53 am

RIP. And I'd only observe that Dr. Simmons assisted the SBC Conservative Resurgence by his outspoken positions. He may have contributed to the death of tenure at our seminaries.

That said, I'd probably find agreement with some of his positions but wasn't interested in any of my Cooperative Program dollars paying his salary.

Bob Allen's story which does a good job of recounting all the stuff that I'd forgotten from those years: https://baptistnews.com/article/paul-si ... JT0WdpKiUm

If not for Simmon's classroom actions, SBTS may have been forced to settle with him. Instead he took early retirement in 1993.

I'll predict that Fox will weigh in here with some of his boilerplate stuff.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

"Boilerplate"

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:34 pm

I had an exchange of texts with the local pastors Duke Grad yesterday. I said the fifth foul on Tacko was a phantom foul and buttressed Duke's win Zion and All. I am well aware UCF has their last second roll around the rim chance. The Duke Son simply replied Duke is Duke

Duke son was in the Sunday School class at Collinsville the winter of 06 when his father the pastor was doing his annual three week focus on abortion. Dr. Morgan studied under Paul Simmons at SBTS. Rev Morgan was doing his annual emphasis of whats his face the La Habri end of civilization guru take on abortion with a little Mohler thrown in, and I asked him as a one time student of Paul Simmons would he move for his dismissal at Southern. He was kinda stunned, the class got quiet and I think a deacon got up and walked out. The next week I was informed I could no longer express my views in Sunday School at two months or so later May 28, 06 by a vote of 32 to 20 I was off the premises.

I recounted it all in U Tenn The Exiled Generation.

That will be my indelible memory of Paul Simmons, and a couple of his excellent essays in Christian Ethics Today.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:38 pm

Much better than boilerplate, Stephen.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:04 am