Omar, Israel and Palestinians

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Omar, Israel and Palestinians

Postby KeithE » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:07 am

Criticizing Israel is not Anti-Semitic

Weeks ago, when the first accusations of anti-semitism were being leveled against Representative Ilhan Omar, I was deeply agitated.

When members of Congress not only continued to gang up and falsely smear Omar as anti-semitic, but even created a House Resolution painting her words as hateful, I wasn’t just agitated. I was absolutely disgusted.

Omar has criticized the U.S. government’s support for Israeli actions that break international law. And she’s spoken out against the role money in politics plays in shoring up that support.

Neither is anti-semitic.

The modern state of Israel was established by Zionists — a nationalist movement started by European Jews with the aim of creating a “Jewish state” as a refuge for persecuted Jews.

It’s true that Jews have faced centuries of brutal persecution in Europe. But the Zionists’ project shared unmistakably European colonialist roots.
In 1948, Israel’s war of independence led to the Nakba, an invasion driving 700,000 Palestinians from their homes. These Palestinians were never allowed to return, creating a massive refugee population that today numbers over 7 million.

While I was able to travel freely up and down Israel, the Palestinians who once lived there are legally barred from returning. While I wandered the marketplaces trying stews and shawarmas, Palestinians in Gaza can’t afford even the gas to cook their food because of the Israeli blockade.

What it did create is an imperialist stronghold that continues to break international law by building settlements deeper and deeper into Palestinian territory, giving Jewish Israelis superior legal status to Arab Israelis and Palestinians, and attacking all who protest.

I understand that many Jewish people have been hurt by Rep Omar’s words, but she was really calling attention to the Gazan’s (and other Palestinian people) plight.

50 Years of Occupation Abuses

Fifty years after Israel occupied the West Bank and Gaza Strip, it controls these areas through repression, institutionalized discrimination, and systematic abuses of the Palestinian population’s rights, Human Rights Watch said today.

At least five categories of major violations of international human rights law and humanitarian law characterize the occupation: unlawful killings; forced displacement; abusive detention; the closure of the Gaza Strip and other unjustified restrictions on movement; and the development of settlements, along with the accompanying discriminatory policies that disadvantage Palestinians.

Many of Israel’s abusive practices were carried out in the name of security. Palestinian armed groups have carried out scores of lethal attacks on civilians and launched thousands of rocket attacks on Israeli civilian areas, also in violation of international humanitarian law.

Yes I am aware of the Palestinians’s rockets (in fact briefly worked on a US defense system to counter them; Israel did it much quicker and cheaper with David's Sling). Not sure who threw the first arrow. But Israel’s oppressive attacks on Palestinians have been much larger causing far more deaths (by a factor of 7.6).

And the blockade on Gaza has been devastating for twelve years. 44% unemployment in 2017 and 80% rely on international aid .

Watch this video https://youtu.be/drPRVHKY280 and read this timeline.

I support Rep Omar since the US is at least complicit in this slaughter and this has been left uncriticized for decades at least by official US authorities.

To excuse this slaughter by claims of anti-semitic speech is wholly missing the point!
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Omar, Israel and Palestinians

Postby Sandy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:48 am

I would agree, Representative Omar's remarks are not anti-semitic, just because she is critical of American support for Israel. US support for Israel is like most of its foreign aid and support, it is really a way to extend American military and economic power over a region. There are some conservative politicians who are influenced by evangelical premillenial dispensationalism as well.

What Israel has done to Gaza is unconscionable. We've gone to war in the past over that kind of oppressive treatment of countries and people groups. Supporting that is anti-Christian.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:15 pm

Agreed.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:45 am

I saw Trump's claim that the Democrats are now the party that hates Jews. Given that 71% of the Jewish voters supported Hillary in 2016, and 79% voted Democratic in 2018, that's just more bombast from the liar in chief. Most American Jews aren't deeply committed Zionists, so moving the embassy to Jerusalem wasn't all that big of a deal. American Jews have chosen to live here, few leave here to go to Israel, and I can't say I've ever met an American Jew, and I know a pretty fair number of them, who was more than superficially interested in Israeli politics. Two of my Jewish acquaintances in Pennsylvania are involved in a ministry which provides relief for Palestinians in Gaza.

What is happening in Gaza is a sanctity of human life issue.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:56 am

Sandy wrote:I saw Trump's claim that the Democrats are now the party that hates Jews. Given that 71% of the Jewish voters supported Hillary in 2016, and 79% voted Democratic in 2018, that's just more bombast from the liar in chief. Most American Jews aren't deeply committed Zionists, so moving the embassy to Jerusalem wasn't all that big of a deal. American Jews have chosen to live here, few leave here to go to Israel, and I can't say I've ever met an American Jew, and I know a pretty fair number of them, who was more than superficially interested in Israeli politics. Two of my Jewish acquaintances in Pennsylvania are involved in a ministry which provides relief for Palestinians in Gaza.

What is happening in Gaza is a sanctity of human life issue.

I am pretty sure moving the embassy was mostly motivated by the desire to impress his Evangelical base (and also the fact that Trump actually is much more devoted to achieving the things he promised in the campaign than most politicians are; the fact that I disagree with the desirability of a lot of them is no reason to deny his tendency to want to do something that he can convince his base constitutes a promise fulfilled). I also don't think moving the embassy had any appreciable effect on either the humanitarian or the military situation in the region. And I don't think the Evangelicals who are greatly impressed by this sort of thing are particularly "pro-Israel" themselves; rather, I think a lot of them are only interested in it because of the role they think it plays in the end times prophecies they subscribe to. Many of them probably expect only Messianic Jews to benefit by the Second Coming.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues