[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - A Surprise in the United Methodist Church?

A Surprise in the United Methodist Church?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

A Surprise in the United Methodist Church?

Postby Sandy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:04 pm

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ed/583693/

I suspect this is the beginning of the discussion, not the end. But it appears that for now, the UMC has adopted a traditional, conservative theological perspective on LGBT issues. So the question now is whether or not a deeply connectional body can stay together and what will happen if local congregations head for the exit. Most of my understanding of how Methodists operate comes from Timothy on this board. I have, in the Christian schools I've served, encountered Methodists who sent their kids to our school, including a few pastors, and among those individuals I would say that there is a diversity of belief that is as broad as that of Baptists, including some charismatic/Pentecostal leanings, a few hardline fundamentalists and here in Chicago, some members of an AME congregation.

I don't wish any problems on any church, ministry is hard enough. This has become a sharply divisive issue, though, it seems more so than just about anything else in recent church history.

Timothy, my prayers are with you and your congregation.
Sandy

Re: A Surprise in the United Methodist Church?

Postby Haruo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:11 pm

I can't say I am surprised. Sorry it went the way it did, but barring an unusual compromise this was my expectation. The UMC has a lot of Russian and African members, and they tend to be very unrepentantly homophobic, looks like to me.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:41 am

Last edited by KeithE on Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:58 am

Nothing personal in this fight. Odd outcome. it's also strange that the UMC somehow has an atheist minister. Looks like,it's tough to get defrocked, sort of like baptists.

Keith certainly knows that a baptist association may choose with whom they associate.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:39 pm

I would venture to guess that a lot of Methodist churches and pastors will be having discussions in the coming days and weeks about this General Conference and what they will do in response. It seems, at least from what Timothy has said, that the UMC is inclined to accept the decisions made by the General Conference as agreements about God's will for his church. Now that a decision has been made that represents a more conservative perspective, will those on the left still be as insistent on accepting the decision of the General Conference?
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:23 pm

There are lots of Methodist ministers. I would expect an occasional atheist.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:08 pm

Reading reports from, analysis of, and responses to the UMC vote this week, my heart goes out to my UMC friends. There are no winners in this situation, regardless of the theological correctness or incorrectness of any of the positions. Christ is the ultimate loser.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:55 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:29 pm

The atheist minister is not UMC, so they have that going for them
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:13 am

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:32 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:09 am

Perhaps William mistook the United Methodist Church for the United Church of Canada, which has a professedly atheist minister.

Rvaughn

Postby KeithE » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:38 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:47 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:15 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:17 pm

Where do the UK Methodists stand in all this. My impression is that they have never been integrated into the UMC. But I could be wrong. My impression is based on hymnology, not ecclesiology.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:44 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:07 pm

I pray that God blesses you and your congregation with wisdom, as I will be praying for Epworth in Huntsville and Keith's son.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:36 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:49 am

Timothy, do you have a feel for what portion of the 67% of US voters who backed the One Church plan feel so strongly about the injustice of the Traditional plan that they will want to form a new Church where all are welcome, potentially ordinable, and marriageable? (Assuming the Traditional plan is *not* held unconstitutional.)

And what's the answer to my question about real property and congregational nature.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:00 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:56 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:00 pm

I think the progressive wing might do well to beg the UK Methodists for admission. Okay, not beg, but petition.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:47 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:09 am

This is interesting. The liberal One Church, lgbtq friendly UMC is non-Southern Americans. These would jettison their African UMC colleagues if that is necessary to have one United church that is lgbtq friendly?

The data here found in getreligion.org
William Thornton
Site Admin

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues