[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Jail/Fine for Supplying Water/Food

Jail/Fine for Supplying Water/Food

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Jail/Fine for Supplying Water/Food

Postby Haruo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 am

And further, as a Christian citizen of a representative democracy, I see it as my Christian duty to seek where and as I can to encourage "Caesar" to behave more like Christ itself. Scripture doesn't have as much to say, that I can see anyway, about the proper behavior of Christians (or Jews) as citizens of representative democracies than it has about despotisms and monarchies, but we all still have to work that part of duty out with, perhaps, a bit of fear and trembling. This certainly applies currently in the areas of immigration policies and treatment of unauthorized migrants, in the laws concerning abortion and other reproductive issues, and in sexual and gender issues, as well as in the United States' behavior vis-à-vis other countries including Afghanistan, Venezuela, Iran, Israel, Congo, Gabon, Syria, Russia, China, North Korea, and Honduras. The issues are complex, there are competing factors, and there is no way I can see to impose a positive outcome in most of them, but still our individual Christianity must, I think, be paramount in deciding what to try to get our government to do.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:14 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:30 pm

Ed: Hauro you as well as any one knows that words have different meanings. So tell me how dogooder is a pejorative when in the same context writer or speaker acknowledges that those so identified believe they are doing good but she or he disagrees. My point is that those who break the law, risk being being arrested, and are endangering the lives of those they would seek to help.

Knowing you as I do I have to say you are probably the only person here who upon waking in the middle of the night and find some people unknown to you, in your living room, would possibly put on the coffe pot and put bread in toaster as well as whiping up a platter of scrambled eggs and bacon. However that gives you no right to insist that your neighbors must do likewise, ratter than calling the police, yet I wonder how many nights in a row you would do so.

do-gooder | Definition of do-gooder in English by Oxford ...
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/do-gooder

Definition of do-gooder - a well-meaning but unrealistic or interfering philanthropist or reformer.
JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:39 pm

Just so I'm being transparent, if not entirely clear... I do generally lock my front door at night (and during the day if I am not going in and out frequently). I often lock the back door, too. The garage door is almost always locked. The shed is never locked (has no lock) nor the laundry room.

I assume that most people who attempt to enter the country at that sort of point are rather desperate to get in. If somebody rushes onto my front porch and screams frantically "Let me in! Let me in!" I am very likely to both, as simultaneously as I can, let them in and call 911. I will never advocate for the incarceration of someone whose crime consists of offering water to people dying of thirst, at the domestic or the national level. And I truly don't think Jesus would either.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:20 am

Sandy

Postby JE Pettibone » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:39 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:01 pm

Sandy

Postby JE Pettibone » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:28 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:27 pm

As I said, there's not really a legitimate comparison here. The country is not a personal dwelling and those who are seeking asylum here, or a better life, are not "home invaders" nor anything close to that.

Some laws are unjust and need to be changed, and this is one of them.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:26 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:12 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:02 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:10 am

Rvaughn

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues