[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Jail/Fine for Supplying Water/Food

Jail/Fine for Supplying Water/Food

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Jail/Fine for Supplying Water/Food

Postby KeithE » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:58 pm

Not only does Trumpism ignore providing humanitarian aid, they punish those that do.

Makes me wonder what the $800M in Trump’s proposal for “humanitarian aid” will actually be used for.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Jail/Fine for Supplying Water/Food

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:32 am

I play a game with Keith's links by guessing which are links to commondreams.

So far, I'm batting 1.000. Totally predictable.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:37 am

This is clearly religious persecution for the practice of their faith. The group doing this is faith based. If you want to protect religious freedom to practice all faiths, then its time to protect these Christians.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:35 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:39 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:17 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:19 am

I read a headline/link. Commondreams' titles are totally predictable.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:07 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:48 am

A pastor friend of mine dealt with this issue in his own city. He was feeding the homeless and got crossways with the city because it allowed people to see how many homeless people the community had.

Given Jesus' commandment related to "doing unto the least of these" the only option Christians have here is to obey God rather than men.

William, an argument can be made for protesting abortions but there is hardly clearer commandments from Christ himself than the expectation that we feed the poor and needy.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:34 am

Try for some comprehension here, Keith. I check your linkfests and can pick the cd ones by the headline.

You're not objective, not that any requirement here says that you must be, and I owe no one an apology.

No big deal here.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:36 am

Dave made a free exercise argument out of this. Nonsense,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:41 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:47 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:35 pm

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:39 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:47 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:52 pm

The Biblical mandate is to march around with placards etc. until the Walls come a-tumblin' down. Joshua 6:20
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:55 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:18 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:48 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:11 pm

To make this a valid comparison, support for the unborn coming from the Christian community would include help with real struggles for the mothers of the unborn prior to their birth, whether it is counseling to help with the issues that caused the mother to think about abortion as an option to financial support, perhaps a job, housing assistance, food and pre-natal medical care, assistance to help with expenses and legal navigation for adoption if that is an option, or even help finding a job for the mom. That would go a lot further than some screaming, slanted, one sided political rally and a march through the streets of Washington. Now make those things illegal and you have a legitimate comparison here.
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:31 am

The whole issue of civil disobedience needs to be revisited. I heard this argument often in the late 1950's and early 1960's that it was critical to obey the laws and lawbreakers should go to jail. Most of the arguments were made in the effort to thwart the civil rights movement, and many of our leading Baptist pastors were at the forefront of the "legalist argument." The application has shifted to immigrants breaking the law, but it seems we are often the descendants of our "legalist forebears." Of course, in Virginia, Baptists were the extreme lawbreakers who had to preach "illegally" through jail bars because they refused to support a state church. I prefer being a descendent of those lawbreakers.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:34 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:35 am

The actions of the group, which is supported by the Unitarian/Universalist Church, are straight out of MLK's procedures to get arrested in the hope of awakening the consciences of religious people. Our memories are short. These people are deliberately risking arrest as an act of religious conscience.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:50 pm

JE Pettibone

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues