[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Devotional Practice

Devotional Practice

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Devotional Practice

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:33 am

I completed this morning reading through the Bible in my personal devotions. This was at least my 35th time through the scriptures. I am looking for a new approach for the next cycle. I have done chronological readings, as best one can, readings beginning with the classics of the Psalms and one of the gospels, and have read from Genesis to Revelation. Anyone have suggestions for an approach I might want to take?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Re: Devotional Practice

Postby Haruo » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Have you tried it in different versions? Say, Greek (if you're able), or Moffatt, or a Catholic version e.g. Jerusalem or New Jerusalem (or Douay-Rheims!)? Or listening to it, as an illiterate might have to?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:11 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:46 am

Had a friend make a suggestion that I am trying. Since Luke is the primary gospel for year C, she suggested beginning December 1 and read one chapter each day through December 24th. Good idea!

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Any other Advent practices that you're following the meanwhile?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:49 pm

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:01 pm

I'm not as consistent as I once was but I prefer to the practice of following the daily office twice a day. I've also used Anglican prayer beads quite a bit. They are similar to the rosary but the prayers are varied and not prayers to Mary or the saints. The beads simply help you concentrate on your prayers.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:04 am

Think I'll start a separate . Dave, in your response to my Advent question you said "we" do candles, "we" do service projects. I'm guessing you meant you and your church, but I'm not sure. Anyhow, as the second Sunday of shorter Advent looms, I do have several other questions, only tangentially pertinent to personal devotional practice, so I'll ask them in the new thread,

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:28 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:40 am

Just finished reading through the Psalms today. May tackle the Corinthian correspondence next, but as a unit or as four letters?

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:49 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:49 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:30 am

Dr. Dale Moody at SBTS used to set the Greek of I Corinthians 13 and Philippians 2:5-11, and other passages to common metre tunes like "Amazing Grace" or "Faith of our Fathers" Made a plausible case for several sung passages.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum