[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Effective Evangelism

Effective Evangelism

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Effective Evangelism

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:40 am

In another thread on Moderate Baptists, there were several statements on evangelism. Without putting it in the SBC context, let's discuss, "What is effective evangelism in our 21st century context?" What works for you and what doesn't?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Re: Effective Evangelism

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:42 am

There are so many ways to describe evangelism but I'd expect to hear the Gospel, observe some intentionality, and expect for there to be a theology where people are presumed to need to make some declaration of belief before they are considered Christians.

I'm not stuck on any of the methodology.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:19 pm

Most of what I've read and seen in recent presentations about evangelism is that people used to come to worship or Sunday school first and then get involved in mission and ministry. Now it appears that people are wanting to engage in mission before they join the church and often even before they get very active in worship or Sunday school.

What that ultimately says about evangelism I think is still up for discussion. But it is a generational shift.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:56 pm

What Timothy said kind of reminds me of a study of Jesus Christ in Japanese culture that a visiting preacher mentioned in a sermon at Fremont some years back. It's a well known fact that the Japanese are not prone to churchgoing Christianity, by and large. Christianity has had a presence (mostly hidden) in the archipelago at least since the Jesuit mission to southern Kyushu in the 1600s, and perhaps even back to the origins of the tea ceremony, and there has been open, sustained mission work there since the Meiji Restoration in the 1860s, but most surveys indicate that fewer than 1% of the Japanese population is affiliated with any church. Most Japanese are nominally both Shinto and Buddhist, or were when I was a kid anyway, and the number whose Buddhism or Shintoism goes beyond the nominal is certainly more than 1%. So Japan is generally regarded as a rather unchristianized nation, ripe for or immune to evangelism, depending on how you look at it.

But this study the preacher cited, from Pew or some place of that sort, indicated that while fewer than 1% of the respondents had any affiliation with a church, fully 10% of them self-identified as followers of Jesus.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:48 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:52 pm

Regarding the evangelizedness or not of the Japanese, I might also mention that when I was a kid there, a large proportion of my classmates attended the Sunday School down at the end of the block, which was run by missionaries from East Germany. The part of town we lived in consistently elected a Communist to the Diet, and the largest employer was Fuji Bank. The world is a complex place and people are complex organisms. Skim milk masquerades as cream...

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:10 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:08 am

My point in raising this was not as a point of argument. "Evangelism" is a word often traded in various contexts, but I often have the feeling that it is not one single reality. Sharing Christ takes many forms, and I am convinced that 21st century evangelism will be "relational." The models I have learned in the past have all relied on words of witness, often without any relationship being needed. I have been trained in EE, CWT, WIN, WOW, One-Day Soul Winning Workshops, and a number of others. I have to agree with the word, intentionality, but I suspect that in our present context the intention will require building relationships with people. Church membership does not define evangelism, and I have often felt that an old statement by Billy Graham was right when he said that 40 to 50 percent of church members still needed to be saved. Don't know that I have answers to a lot of this, but there is much work to do. Also, can there be salvation without repentance?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:13 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:53 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:37 pm

And I notice some of our user avatars don't work either.

(Decided to fix mine; didn't realize I needed to until now.)
Rvaughn

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:56 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:11 pm

Well, the new photo is a bit fuzzy. I'll hunt around for a better one. But, it is me.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum