[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Southwest Baptist University fires Theology prof.

Southwest Baptist University fires Theology prof.

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Southwest Baptist University fires Theology prof.

Postby Sandy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:23 pm

A professor was dismissed at Southwest Baptist University for apparently tattling on fellow professors, accusing them of not teaching in accordance with the wishes of Missouri Baptists and other violations related to the BFM 2000. It is hard to tell from the information posted on the petition website, or from the school's correspondence, what actually happened. What appears to have happened is that this particular professor had a diary with notes from conversations he said he had with other profs in the theology school who supposedly were teaching a whole string of "liberal" stuff. When confronted with his notes, they denied it and many of them said he'd never discussed the matter with them.
https://sbcvoices.com/theology-professo ... on-friday/

Part of the problem here seems to be that the school's theological parameters are not as tightly defined as some conservative Missouri Baptists think they are. The various websites and information are linked in the blog post that I linked.

The relationships of many of the undergraduate colleges and universities connected to state conventions are different than the seminaries and the SBC. Depends on the state, but in many cases the schools are not as closely tied to the state convention. In Missouri, one of the schools that declared self-perpetuating trustees and left convention control, Missouri Baptist University, lost its legal battle to do so and may have to return to convention-elected trustees. In other states, Tennessee, North Carolina, Arizona, the conventions were either bought out or the right of the school to be self-determining was upheld in the courts.

SBU was one of two of the Missouri schools that benefitted from claiming affiliation and agreement with the conservatives in the state convention when the other two colleges went their own way. One of them, William Jewel, did not have any problem because it was older than the convention and its relationship was defined in a different way than the other schools.

From an ethical perspective, it does not appear this professor had the right to divulge the information from his conversations with colleagues and violated the school's employment policy. Those who think he's right theologically and he's sniffing out liberalism don't think he did anything wrong.

Southern Baptists seem bent on destroying their institutions and driving church members away.
Sandy

Re: Southwest Baptist University fires Theology prof.

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:31 pm

Sounds like "He said, He said", but that makes it sound like it involves something approaching rape. I
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:45 am

Definitely convoluted, with different sides saying contradictory things. In the the University president talks a lot about hearsay and the professor's unwillingness to engage his colleagues. On the other hand, this mentions times when the professor directly communicated with his colleagues about these matters.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
Rvaughn

Postby Jon Estes » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:00 am

The link to the letter of dismissal makes it sound as if no first-hand evidence was presented. The link to the emails tells a different story. The audio link is troubling.

These links are in the article of this subject on sbcvoices.

I have a problem with CP dollars going to support those who teach no hell or no eternal hell... among other things. Things which are a contradiction of scripture. I have a problem with spending CP dollars on those who gladly teach outside of Baptist parameters set by Baptists. I think this applies to those who get a check from CP... not those who do not.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:37 am

Once when I was at Missouri Baptist College (now Missouri Baptist University) a non-tenured professor was let go by the administration (before the school took a more moderate turn) for "being perceived as not being conservative enough." Honestly, that was one of reasons given. NOT even not being conservative enough but not be perceived as conservative.

Theological orthodoxy determined by the perceptions of the peanut gallery isn't a way to run a school.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:49 am

Makes me glad to be out of the SBC fold and not have to live where the outcome of all inquiry is already prescribed. This is an old debate rooted in scripture and most succinctly studied in Oscar Cullmann's writings. I had a pastor who did his dissertation in this area, and I am reminded that conditional immortality is one option in certain biblical passages. Of course, perhaps the most hellish punishment to imagine is to get nothing but yourself for all eternity.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:36 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:31 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:10 am

Having read the linked documentation, I think it would be pretty hard for anyone from the outside to determine what happened. As Sandy said above, the trustees certainly have the right to terminate someone’s employement as long as they follow the schools own rules and policies for faculty dismissals. Though, at least a surface reading seems that this is more about behavior than theology. I serve on the committee of the Board at Simpson College that hears such appeals and there is often more to the story than gets reported publically.

On the side topic of CP giving as a determining factor in the theology of faculty, I can’t imagine, as a Trustee of a college, letting a 5% budget contribution dictate faculty choices. I’d be just as likely to vote a 5% budget cut and untie the hands of what is an independent board. But, then neither the ABC/USA or the UMC contribute funds to related colleges as a means of control so such an expectation is outside of my experience.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:55 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:51 am

In some materials I have seen today, it may be that all this is about accusing other professors of not following the BFM2K. I am very unfamiliar with the school, but I am intrigued by the fact that this prof was accusing other profs of having CBF leanings. If so, CBF certainly knows nothing about that. Guess he wanted to paint with a broad brush. Sounds a little like what was being done when I was a seminary student in that it was rumored that some students were being paid by conservative pastors to record the lectures of profs at SBTS and send the tapes to prominent CR folks for analysis. I always loved Dale Moody's response. He told a couple of students in his theology classes to sit on the front row. He said, "I don't want your patrons to get poor tapes or mistake what I have said."
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:39 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:57 pm

Here is a recent article from Baptist News:
Rvaughn

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:36 pm

My connections to SWBU are only that I had an uncle who graduated from there who is now deceased and that I was a member of several couple of Missouri Baptist Convention churches during my growing up years and seminary.

My recent experience have taught me that colleges do have policies for removal of professors that has usually been previously voted on by the trustees and faculty. If the trustees have worked within those bounds then the firing my be controversial but if they violated their own internal policies that can get you in trouble with accrediting agencies as with supporters and donors.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:37 am

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:56 pm

The blog post at SBC voices was signed by a small group of former students, most of them fairly recent graduates. I've seen similar statements being circulated by other groups that I would only describe as "random," since there isn't any noted pattern, defending the university and the Redford school's professors as being thoroughly consistent with any interpretation of the BFM 2000. My wife is an SBU alum, but that's been a while back. Among her friends who are still connected with the school, you'll get similar opinions, from complete support and claim that they are consistent with the BFM 2000, to those who insist that Dr. Bass was within his rights and there's been a problem at the school for a long time. I served in a Missouri SBC congregation in the early 90's and there was muttering and fussing about doctrinal purity at all four of the colleges supported by the MBC then. But then, that happens in every state convention with a college that has a Bible department. "They oughta be a teachin' what we tell 'em to" is a long standing Baptist cry when it comes to higher education.

A few observations.

1. Belonging to a church affiliated with CBF is much more of a flash point for measuring worthiness to be employed by an institution receiving cooperative program funds than the actual theological position of that person. You cannot assume that someone who belongs to a church that is CBF affiliated holds to a liberal theological position that denies the BFM 2000 point by point. The trustees at Southwest Baptist University have not enacted a school policy forbidding professors to be members of churches affiliated with CBF, even though the convention severed ties with churches that did so. BTW, when the state convention cut ties to dually affiliated CBF congregations, they lost five of the top ten CP supporting churches in the state convention.
2. The Baptist Faith and Message is a confessional statement, not a comprehensive doctrinal statement. Those who claim to support it seem to think that their interpretation and application of it to their ministry work is the ONLY interpretation that is valid. A friend of mine who pastors a Bible church in Phoenix and has a ThM and MDiv from Dallas Theological Seminary told me once that you could drive a proverbial "theological truck" through the Baptist Faith and Message 2000 and not hit anything. I would guess that the theological and doctrinal guidelines that are required of professors at SBU's Redford School are far more comprehensive, have been reviewed and approved by the trustees and are part of each professor's evaluation.
3. Though most of my teaching and school administration experience is at the grade school and high school level, I can tell you that even among those parents, Bible classes and the teaching of theology and doctrine draw ten times more critics and make far more people angry and upset than any other course. I'll say it because it needs to be said, conservative Christians are the most intolerant people you will ever meet and on top of that, they are intolerant and angry at everyone who doesn't conform to their thinking.
4. You won't find a college or university affiliated with the SBC that has a Bible department or a theology school that doesn't stir up ridicule and criticism among pastors and church leaders in the pews of SBC affiliated churches.

My alma mater exited its state convention affiliation as a matter of financial expediency after a financial scandal in the convention subjected its property and endowment to seizure to pay bad debts made by the convention's foundation. It was the best thing that could have happened to them. They transformed from a struggling, financially strapped school with 1,300 students on a crumbling campus into a dynamic, booming institution initially labelled the "premier Christian university in the American West," and now into the World's Largest Christian University. It's doctrinal statement and theological instruction is probably equally conservative with that of the SBC schools it left behind. It has its own theological seminary that is less expensive than attending an SBC-related school these days.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:32 pm

Sandy, from your perspective what is the difference between. creed and a "confessional statement?" From all you have said above it appears to me that the BFM 2000 is being used the way I'd expect denominations to use a creed.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:27 pm

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:35 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:31 pm

In this case, apparently it doesn't have the force of a creed. The professor who brought the accusations and provided some surreptitious evidence of its violation was the one fired. The administration and most importantly the all-powerful board of trustees are not enforcing the BFM as a creed.

I should say that the BFM is not comprehensive enough to stand alone as a doctrinal statement for a college or graduate level theological educational institution. There's a lot that's not covered, and frankly, very little is covered to the point where there can't be some variance in interpretation. Those who follow the most conservative path in interpreting it are unable to see that there are quite a few loopholes, especially if it is to be used to measure and enforce doctrinal purity.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:49 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:37 am

Once the BFM2K included in its preamble that it was a statement for "doctrinal accountability," it met the classic definition of a creed. Prior BFM's studiously avoided language like that. It also, IMHO, became heretical when Christ was no longer the standard by which scripture was to be interpreted. Been down this road before.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:26 am

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:45 am

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:42 am

Being in the BGAV, we kept the 1963 statement as most representing where the majority of churches are.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends