[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Fear and church attendance

Fear and church attendance

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Fear and church attendance

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:20 am

I am wondering how much of a negative effect on attendance and participation is caused by the fears of many in our society to be in large gatherings or even in church since houses of worship have become attack zones for mass murders who consider them soft targets. I am aware of folks who have withdrawn their children from public schools for the sole reason that public schools have been the target of so many shootings. I have also become aware of those who do not go to shop any longer than necessary. How do you think the climate of fear is affecting us, and what do you think it will do to the atmosphere of worship if we station armed guards on church premises?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Re: Fear and church attendance

Postby Haruo » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:38 pm

It's surely good for online retailers, including purveyors of "worship". I'm pickier about which large crowds I blend into, myself. Tonight I am probably not going to the Solidarity with the Pittsburgh Jewish Community events, though more because I think I might have to park a half hour's walk away than because of fear for my safety.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:29 pm

I can't even imagine the thought of armed guards at the entrance to a church. There is so much that is wrong with that image on so many levels, it is hard to know where to start.

These incidents are just so random and sudden. The argument "if there'd just been someone with a gun..." doesn't really hold water. Many of these calculated killers are suicidal and planning to be taken out anyway. More than likely, they've considered that there might be a gun-toter in a crowd, so anyone who looks like they're reaching for a weapon would just make themselves the first target.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:23 pm

I attended a vigil at Tifereth Israel Synagogue last night. I was pleased that literally hundreds of people turned out from all faiths to support our Jewish neighbors. So many people came that not everyone could get in the building. It overflowed into the foyer, into their library and encircled their building. It made me proud people of faith in the Des Moines metro area last night!

There was also the presence of quite a few police officers making sure all was safe. And it made me think about how terrible it would be for all faith groups if we had to start having armed guards at church. As Dave has said, what a deterrent to church attendance!
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:53 am

Good word from all.

I am reminded of how safe most of us are... even with the few crazies in the states who reminded us again that they are out there and are close.

Please know that in some cultures, such as areas of Cameroon, the people go to church knowing (not as much lately but in recent past) that evil like Boko Horam have no problem showing up and killing... yet the churches remain full. Many of these living testimonies will not let even the threat of death keep them from worshipping God with their church family.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:55 pm

What evil men don't understand is that ""the blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church." (Tertullian)

And I'll paraphrase that to say that the blood of martyrs is a seed to actions of the faithful of all faiths. I heard a lot of resolve last night in Des Moines to work harder yet to bring together differing communities of faith in fighting anti-semitism and all forms of hate. It was a resolve brought on by horror at what our nation could become if we don't make a difference.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:06 am

Good word Timothy,

I am planning on being in the Pittsburgh next year. I plan to visit this church and one of the Messianic churches in the city while there.

FREE EXTRA THOUGHT... I am really struggling with thoughts of being involved in a church in the USA that isn't multi-cultural. Not a lot of those in the SBC these days. Sad... very sad.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:16 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:50 pm

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:31 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:35 pm

Sioux City is about 23% Latino and nearly 10% Native American. Indianola is a very nice place, but I miss the diversity.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:45 pm

According to the same source Haruo is using there, Wikipedia, the Chicago neighborhood where I now live is 32% white, non latino, 21% Latino, 18% Asian, 10% African American, 5% Pacific Islander. But it doesn't distinguish the fact that among the non-latino whites there are Polish, Romanians, Russians, Hungarians and Bulgarians. There is an SBC congregation in the area that has services in Polish, Russian and Bulgarian.
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:17 am

In the 1980's. I pastored a church in Fayetteville, NC that was predominantly Anglo but also had African-American and Hispanic members. The catch was that this is a military town, and race isn't nearly as important in that context. The church could learn a lot from the military on this.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:44 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:44 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:49 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:23 pm

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:20 pm

Will do, if and when (Chicago's not a usual destination for me, though it's likely I might go through on the way to or from Montreal in 2020. Hoping to do that trip by camper van or SUV or something. What's the name of the church? Pretty sure I've never been to a service in Polish or Bulgarian.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:42 pm

Sandy

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum