[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - NEW MINISTRY

NEW MINISTRY

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

NEW MINISTRY

Postby Jon Estes » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:23 am

Nope - I'm not relocating...

Read the below and let me know your thoughts.

A PASTORS HEART EXPOSED

EBCI has... is... and plans to continue to be "ON MISSION". I am bringing to you some information -- maybe it is better thought of as a challenge to consider.

The challenge is for EBCI to undertake and implement an additional mission endeavor. For the time being, I will call it "The Barnabas Initiative". Taking the name Barnabas from scripture meaning "son of encouragement". to do this we would need to becoming a church which would open our lives to Pastors from other parts of the world who are discouraged and in need of someone to reach out in a tangible way and let them know they are loved... appreciated... and have a prayer partner with the EBCI family.

Here are some of my specific thoughts for this mission opportunity...

No less than twice a year we bring a Pastor and his wife to spend 2 weeks with us.

Our goal is to love this minister and wife and give them a time of rest and rejuvenation.

We will cover their roundtrip airfare and house them (Hotel apartment or in church members home)

We will give them a stipend of a specific amount, to be determined, so they can get out and enjoy the city on their own (meals and transportation)

The EBCI family will intentionally invest our lives into this family and have different members find ways to connect their lives together (a meal - a time sightseeing - an ear to listen to their pain/burden, if they choose to share)

Have a specific person with the gift of administration who can oversee this and work with me to see this come to fruition.

Have some sort of application process.

Why this? Why now?

Several things have brought this to the forefront of my heart.

I spend time online chatting with my peers (99% of them I have never met) and many of them are hurting and in need of someone to reach out and encourage and love them.

Too many Pastors are walking away from ministry because of the burden placed upon them and their families.

EBCI is in a unique position to offer these wonderful couples into our lives where Dubai is easy to get to (direct flights for those in the USA) and far enough away from their church to be able to relax.

I have been where these hurting Pastors are and needed someone to be a Barnabas to me.

I will be presenting this concept in more detail to the Deacons. We will pray over this and seek God's direction. I need you to pray also.

No permanent decision will be made until the church as a whole agrees that this is a mission project we must be involved with.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Re: NEW MINISTRY

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:47 am

Jon, I like the spirit of this because it says that the church that we call "missions" is ready to do missions in reverse. The needs of pastors are very real and very difficult in our day. We need more encouragers for ministry. Thanks for sharing a bold dream.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:05 am

Jon Estes

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:11 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:25 am

Jon, it is a cool idea! Burnout in ministry is a very real thing. We all lose pastors to the burdens of ministry every year.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:52 pm

Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:50 am

Jon Estes

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum