[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Light at the end of the tunnel

Light at the end of the tunnel

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Light at the end of the tunnel

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:51 pm

Since there has been some interest expressed in sharing ministry ups and downs and what works, I'm thrilled to soon see some light at the end of the tunnel.

A few months ago I found out I was not getting a new Associate Pastor at the usual time of appointment, which would have been July 1 but that I would be waiting a year to get a very qualified young guy who is finishing up his seminary degree at Duke.

So the plan has been how a congregation that has almost always had two pastors is going to get along with just me for a year. I hired some temp staff to help with visitation, redistributed some duties to other people. But, right after my last Associate left I had eight funerals over about six weeks. It has been wearing.

But, the good news is that, do to some changing circumstances for my new young staff member, he is going to be able to start on January 1 instead of June 30th. So at this point, I only have to get along short staffed for a couple more months!
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Re: Light at the end of the tunnel

Postby William Thornton » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:25 pm

If I were close, you could hire me on a temp basis. I'd promise not to get all fundy on you.

So, who decided to downsize the staff for that period? Minister shortage?
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:15 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:12 pm

Well, William, we're looking for an interim here at Fremont if you'd like to submit a résumé...
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:01 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:01 am

This is my first experience at being on such a committee, and I have been given virtually no instructions about what is or is not to be said, done, or thought. I thought there would be a briefing on secrecy, ethics, etc. Not so far. But then, we haven't really gotten to work yet.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:58 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:36 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:43 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:45 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:47 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:08 am

Just as an aside, in a time of clergy shortage the appointment system doesn't work as well for keeping an Associate Pastor as it used to. After a young person gets two or three years of experience under their belt the cabinet often needs to grab them to fill a small church that doesn't have a pastor and then you have to get another new Associate. So most Associates are people straight out of seminary who will only be with you two or three years.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum