[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - My mod/lib friends might appreciate this about SBC18

My mod/lib friends might appreciate this about SBC18

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

My mod/lib friends might appreciate this about SBC18

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:53 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

The definitive Fox Blog

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:19 am

Is about to go up on this matter.
Look for it in a couple hours William, It's gonna be a doozey. Your name and Lee SAunders may be in it as well as a reference to SBC Voices and Rotten Theology.

A few minutes ago I was on the Facebook wall of Harvard PHD and Chattanooga bred Baptist Marie Griffith encouraging her to share my thoughts with Jon Meacham, Bush eulogist and biographer. We are about to get all the chickens home to roost.

Let's stay in touch and you counterblog as well cause somebody must get word to Jerry Vines and I am convinced he thinks more highly of you than he does me after our incident in 88 when he came over from Georgia to Roy Moore's church outside Gadsden.
Stephen Fox

I just made a post and linked my blog at JD Grear

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:15 am

Facebook wall.

Will see where it goes.

Also shared my blog with Marie Griffith who was written about the Parkland shooting as the faultline in america's faith community. Will see if that resonates with the new SBC president as framed in my blog. For certain if he takes up my reading list, he will end this year knowing more than he did say, last week.
Stephen Fox

Re: My mod/lib friends might appreciate this about SBC18

Postby Haruo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:37 pm

Thanks, William. Lots of mixed signals. But clearly "moderates" in SBC context doesn't mean the same thing it did in 1979. Of course, neither does anything else. Times have changed, and language with them. But it was heartening to see the moderate stance taken in resolutions on immigration and immigrants. I wonder if Trump took offense when Pence told the pastors in attendance that their pulpits and ministries were more significant that any that he or Trump might occupy or engage in.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:51 pm

Glad to hear of resolutions on immigration. Fellow Methodist Jeff Sessions is not too well liked right now by many of the rest of the UMC. Our Bishops released a statement this week calling for the ending of snatching children from their parents at the border. Sessions is actually in violation of the UMC Social Principles.

I’ve heard that some United Methodists are considering filing ecclesiastical charges against him. Lay people can be charged with violating the Discipline but seldom are and usually just leave the Church rather than be tried. So the act would be largely symbolic as a statement of extreme disapproval. Sessions seeking to use the Bible to argue for child imprisonment is not playing well in many Christian circles.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:57 am

An interesting choice of terms, there. Moderate in a secular political sense, perhaps. Theologically, maybe in that there is clearly a segment of the SBC that is a little bit further to the left than the complementarian leadership, or at least, the complementarian old guard.

Seems like what prompted the use of the term was what I would call a surprising negative reaction to the self-initiated campaign stump appearance of the VP. Trump's only real core constituency left is White Evangelicals. Lots of those in the SBC, clearly, white, from the South, past 60. But I've also seen reports, and heard from a friend who was there, that the minority representation was larger than usual, which would probably be expected in Dallas, in a state where the Latino and African American fellowship groups in the state conventions are larger than most state conventions outside the South. So while the SBC is an Evangelical denomination, it is not an all-white Evangelical denomination, and when you put Latinos, African Americans, and Asians into the mix, the percentage of Trump supporters falls quickly.

Christian denominations don't always work smoothly on a system of "majority rules." The older white crowd is still the majority, but it is certainly not the future.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:14 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:28 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:29 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:32 pm

I think it helps that our Executive Minister ab initio was a woman, and that she has now retired and left her job to an Hispanic male, is helpful.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:36 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:02 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:34 pm

Ed, I think you are writing as if I had written the words you ascribed correctly to Sandy and Tim, as well as my own. I didn't say anything about fear of immigrants, nor about the age of white male Baptists.

I'm not surprised that the consensus model hasn't caught on. And only part of the reason, I imagine, is related to entrenched white power issues.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:30 am

JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:52 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:55 pm

I went to my first Korean church service yesterday. It was fun. I was the only non-Korean and the only non-Korean-speaking person present. A bunch of good praise songs (with the music on the screen! yay!) and my first chance to try to sing "Softly and tenderly" in Korean.

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to SBC News and Trends