[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Patterson Completely Out, Fired, at SWBTS

Patterson Completely Out, Fired, at SWBTS

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Patterson Completely Out, Fired, at SWBTS

Postby Sandy » Wed May 30, 2018 8:38 pm

https://swbts.edu/news/releases/stateme ... -seminary/

In what I would consider a stunning reversal of the outcome of the May 22-23 board meeting, the executive board of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary met today and terminated its relationship with Dr. Paige Patterson. He will not be President Emeritus, will not receive a salary, and will not be living on campus. It is a personnel matter, so I would not expect to hear further details regarding the specific incidents that caused it. Apparently, it relates to the incident at Southeastern which occurred prior to his going to Southwestern.

Since this appears to be a development today, there is no word on whether or not he is still scheduled to deliver the convention sermon at the SBC.
Sandy

Molly Marshall on selective inerrancy

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed May 30, 2018 9:40 pm

Stephen Fox

Re: Patterson Completely Out, Fired, at SWBTS

Postby Haruo » Wed May 30, 2018 9:53 pm

Wow. Yay.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu May 31, 2018 4:06 am

I agree with Sandy that this is a stunning development. SWBTS trustees were facing years of difficulty, likely including more declining student numbers, were PP kept on campus and on payroll.

Now, what to do with all that stained glass shrine stuff?
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Move "Stained" glass to Monroe NC

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu May 31, 2018 5:57 am

To the Jesse Helms Library where that little sewing circle of the margins of the John Birch Society and White Citizens Council can delight in each other's company for eternity: Pressler, Patterson,Helms!!!!!!!
Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu May 31, 2018 8:32 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby James » Thu May 31, 2018 12:14 pm

I read a summary of these latest developments this morning. None of the other web news sites which I frequent had the story. One of the statements from this morning concerned some files missing from SEBTS concerning the rape incident. These files legally belong to SE, but, allegedly, PP took these files with him to SW. The president of SE wants the files back.

At least PP will no longer have a venue for destroying the lives of young women in ministry.
James

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu May 31, 2018 1:21 pm

The board was smart to go ahead and just fire him. The golden parachute they offered him to start with looked like a reward rather than a punishment.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:32 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:09 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:13 am

I'm not making any excuses for the Board's actions. But sometimes boards are tempted to give nice severance packages to avoid a lawsuit for wrongful termination. Usually such a package comes with a signed agreement that you will take no legal action against the institution for your departure. I don't know that any of that happened. But, when they first proposed the big severance agreement I wondered what was in it for the seminary.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:19 am

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:21 pm

The information provided indirectly by Patterson's former chief of staff's wife doesn't square up with what was apparently found and read by the trustees from the records which were taken from SEBTS and moved to Ft Worth. The executive committee had the actual files, Ms. Coulter is providing hearsay.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:54 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:06 pm

I never like PP or the other PP, but I don't rejoice in this mess because it just becomes one more blot on the cause of Christ and one more impediment. like the Dilday headlines were. Everything that hurts my brothers and sisters also hurts me because all who claim a relationship with Christ are family members and every blot is on our family name of Christian.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:40 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:31 pm

Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:17 pm

That statement by Gaines was made on May 11. Technically, the selection of the preacher of the annual sermon is "elected" by the convention, but it is done in a single motion made by the order of business committee, and it is pretty routine. They make a motion that contains the name of one person already enlisted to preach the annual sermon, and one person as an alternate, and its a routine voice vote with a predictable turnout. If he doesn't decline by convention time, I wonder how that motion will be made, and by whom?
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:26 pm

By motion and vote when the order of business is presented for adoption at the beginning of the convention. Must be a majority of the messengers registered, not just of those present and voting.

Could be difficult but who knows?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:54 pm

I'm sure there are those who are staying on top of this, and laying plans for ensuring he doesn't get to the podium during the convention. Among the Southern Baptists I know who are convention-bound, the vote to move to the alternate preacher would be unanimous. Looking at a couple of the blogs, and the comments, I'd say its probably 80-20 in favor of not allowing Patterson to do it. Of course, the messenger pool is not always something you can put your finger on. Texas conventions, and particularly Dallas conventions, can be unpredictable.

Some clarification here regarding the letters produced by Ms. Coulter, which, according to the information, appear to have been altered. Noting also that the board chair indicates the letters don't really provide any evidence to change anything.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... ae97abf4bb
Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:26 am

Rvaughn

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:37 am

Wow, the messengers even vote on who the preacher is? You'd think something that routine would be delegated to an agenda sub committee or something. There is a point at which having a vote on everything is a hinderance to good decisions.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:24 am

Rvaughn

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends