[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Bruce Gourley's Visit

Bruce Gourley's Visit

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Bruce Gourley's Visit

Postby KeithE » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:11 am

Bruce is onto a movement that he calls the "Jesus Worldview". Read about it at ; read the pull down menus at the top. I think he is onto something important to our faiths and to the church as a whole. Brief summary: We as the church need to focus more on Jesus’s teachings and less on creeds/mental ascent. More on a nurturing faith and less on authoritative strictures.

He gave an outstanding set of lectures/discussion time at my church. They were received very well by those who attended (but the audience was less than I had hoped). My pastor says we will take that message and emphasize it in the near future.

We also had a great time with talk and playing games - a passion particularly with my wife.

What I learned about Bruce:
- he loves games (I think Splendor was his favorite)
- he eats very healthy foods (oatmeal for breakfast - but he did come/ate to our family night potluck).
- he knows a lot of the emerging scientific scene - quantum computing, minisolar-powered rockets

He is exploring having a BL get together at some point maybe on Jekyll Island this spring.

He just left and we had a great time.
Last edited by KeithE on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Bruce Gourley's Visit

Postby Haruo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:59 pm

I'm afraid the chances are slim to nil that we would be able to get to Georgia this spring, but if it succeeds maybe it can be redone later, there or elsewhere. I was thinking Montana... ;-)
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:03 pm

I go to Jekyll a couple of times each year. Got an old days inn on the beach that suits me fine. Would love to see the brethren/sistren.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:35 pm

Ed: What happened to Bruce's post and my reply supporting the idea of a Bl.com retreat? In my reply I also suggested he invite Dr. Jimmy Allen as a speaker. Dr. Allen did live on St. Simon's Island just North of Jeckel. He now lives in the North Ga. mountains.

found it in the other thread.
Last edited by JE Pettibone on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
JE Pettibone

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:20 am

Take a leap of faith and fun and gather the bl.com here in Dubai.

Dubai is a great place to see how the world views Jesus. Over 90% of the world's nations are here.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:45 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:54 am

Dubai is not super-high on my list of places to visit, but if BL.com had a retreat there with a large enough stipend attached, I just might go. Have to ask the Mrs.

Speaking of foreign travel, today is my last day as a working stiff at Metropolitan Market Uptown. Hopefully my last day in wage slavery at all, but we'll see how it goes. The first month or so is going to be very tight. What made me think of this was that one thing I have to do today (or tomorrow, but I'm planning to get it over with today) is drop by the union pension office to give them my walking papers and find out about COBRA options (since it will be a bit over a year before I'm eligible for Medicare). The paperwork requires two forms of ID, so for the first time since last fall I pulled out my passport.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Sandy

Postby Bruce Gourley » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:27 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Gourley » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:32 pm

I had a great time in Huntsville, and the Norens are awesome hosts!

My idea of a BL.com retreat would be for those of us who could come to just hang out together for a weekend, talking, maybe playing table games [hint, hint], eating, hiking, biking, whatever. And Jekyll Island in the spring would be a great place to do that ... since Dubai seems to be a just a bit too far away. :wink:

I don't have my precise April schedule yet, but I will be down South at some point that month, and if there is enough interest, it would be fun to arrange such a weekend.
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:06 am

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:15 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Was Gourley up on

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Had he done his homework on How Democracies Die and the This American Life series on Albertville Alabama and immigration which woulda been spot on for his venue?

I woulda loved to have been there but having a bad start logisitically to the New Year and the funding is drying up.

Did Bruce have any of the insights of this article?
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/op ... 99143ef141
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

I think we can arrange such a retreat

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:47 pm

at the Truett Camp in Hayesville North Carolina if you, Bruce, will send them your book on Baptists and the Civil War as promised.

Great accomodations and very cost saving and good food nearby. Most likely we can cook some for ourselves and feast out.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: I think we can arrange such a retreat

Postby Bruce Gourley » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:16 am

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum