[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Ideas to Reopen Government

Ideas to Reopen Government

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Ideas to Reopen Government

Postby KeithE » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:23 am

I’m sorry Jon, I inadvertently deleted your post. In replying to that post I made the mistake to edit your post when I meant to quote it. Then in attempting to fix the situation I copied my response and deleted the whole post including yours. The moderator power enables that.

To the best of my remembrance, your points were in burnt orange:

"You (that is me) use the NBC poll but ignore its outcome.

Nice try, Expected ..... from those who cannot find any good in Trump”

Please fill in.

I’m sorry and am embarrassed.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:27 am

Here is what I replied:

The polling source () has a title "Poll: Democrats, Trump to blame for government shutdown” saying quit accurately that Democrats and Trump are mostly to blame. Similarly the about the poll is entitled "Americans blame Democrats and Trump for the government shutdown, poll says”. They are responsible journalists who recognize that the difference between 39% (Democrats in Congress) and 38% (Trump) is within the ±2.2% margin of error.

(I wish I could easily resize these plots - I struggle though Photobucket every time I try, but the numbers are in my text above 38%/18%/39% in order of the bars above).

I’ll add this plot below to show that this assignment of blame is largely along party lines.

Jon’s take on who is to blame: Schumer at first, shifting to “Democrats in Congress” the “outcome" of the NBC poll.

My take on who/what is to blame is more nuanced: (1) polarization in congress/country, (2) the congressional process (effectively demanding 60 votes), (3) Trump’s lack of consistent leadership.

BTW, I can say a few good things about Trump’s reign:
- some of his deregulation has been good (especially streamlining construction red tape, though not the EPA's green lighting pollution or relaxation of OSHA rules),
- his call to repatriate taxes on profits stored offshore (of course it has not happened yet),
- his strong threat of retaliation to North Korea if they launch any ICBM towards us (though not his name calling "Rocket Man”),
- ISIS has been thwarted in and around Iraq/Syria (though his words may have embolden ISIS elsewhere),
- he dropped the TPP (but for the wrong reasons, nonetheless it has been dropped),
- he has enlivened the political discussion across the country (invigorating more candidates to run).

Not much (and qualified), but I try to find good things. You are wrong to say otherwise. I even bought/read the Jan 18 NYT which expressly gave voices to Trump supporters on its opinion page. And initially I had great hope for a $1T (over 10 years) Infrastructure Program; still do (paid for largely by a financial transaction tax).
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:33 am

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby KeithE » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:42 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:35 am

Jon, I've hit the wrong moderator button here several times, just like Keith explained that he did with yours. It's not hard to mess up and once stuff is gone it's inaccessible.

I
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:53 am

I guess I should have put a big TIC at the end.

No worries on this end.
Jon Estes

Postby KeithE » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:47 am

Thanks guys.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:58 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:38 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:15 am

Schumer shutdown...yesterday's news.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:37 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:44 am

Yeah...I just had a post on the solemn BF&P forum deleted. It was sorta tongue-in-cheek but I'm sure humor or even satire would be beneath that moderator's contempt. I'm sure I offended somebody(s). At least I hope I did. I didn't offend the moderator, though, who in a post of his own a while back compared me unfavorably with a mule having ill-fitting blinders. I was not offended, however, sorta remembering Balaam's ass, whom Balaam walloped three times before the ass told him to take a hike.
Jim

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:52 am

Jim, I zapped one of your posts. I thought it was unkind in a personal way. Get a grip, bro.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:39 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:28 am

Yeah. Guess those folks at his house were celebrating his triumph.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:31 am

I thought the word “waxed” in this context (when - to his wishful thinking glee) refers to being put away from active participation (politics in this case), as in relegated to a “wax museum”. As nobody got “waxed” in this shutdown event. Not Trump or Schumer or Congressional Democrats or Congressional Republicans have been “waxed”, although many have hopes that someone or some party or our whole set of politicians would be. So the beat (political battles) goes on, with the same participants.

I will say that the Democrats (and well-intentioned immigrants / Dreamers / DACAers) got “snookered” in this situation. How badly? We will see in the next 6 weeks before the March 5 deadline of .
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:06 am

"Waxed" as I used it carried over from athletics: to defeat descisively, to drub. Now you know.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:31 am

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:18 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:21 pm

Jim

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:38 am

Jon Estes

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:57 am

I had also removed one of Jim's posts because it directly attacked the motivations of another member of the forum. There are rules that it might pay us all to read sometimes.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:42 am

I know unacceptable stuff when I see it. Very few comments are deleted here. Since the death of any discussion is talking about each other, let's move along.

Glad we all have a grip...let's get bacl to the gripes.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues