[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Is FBC Dallas really a SBC church?

Is FBC Dallas really a SBC church?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Is FBC Dallas really a SBC church?

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:54 pm

From Joseph Patrick...aka Gerry Milligan,
Is anyone able to explain how the pastor of FBC Dallas can still support our garbage mouthed president?
I am sorry that I am so technologically challenged that I am not able to do one of those "blue clicky things" to ink up with Benjamin Corey's face book post.
Joseph Patrick

Re: Is FBC Dallas really a SBC church?

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:52 pm

First Baptist Dallas is listed in the Baptist General Convention of Texas, Southern Baptists of Texas Convention, and the Southern Baptist Convention.

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:41 pm

Evangelicals, including many Southern Baptists, are feeling the consequences of ownership of their abandonment of character as a qualification to get their support. The immorality, racism, narcissism, adultery, fornication, corruption, lying, was all part of his character before he ran for office, and they knew it, and supported him any way. Over time, it will be a heavy price to pay, I think.
Sandy

Postby JE Pettibone » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:36 am

JE Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:54 am

I think Sandy's talking about Bill Clinton.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:25 am

Or, there was Jimmy Carter (SBC then) whose level of morality accounted for 52 Americans being left in November 1979 in Tehran to rot for well over a year until Reagan was sworn in. He would have done what President Ford did concerning the Mayaguez affair not long before. Those who have forgotten that might be interested.
Jim

Postby Sandy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:30 am

I've addressed this here before, Ed. Evangelical political conservatives, from the very beginning of their involvement with right wing politics, proclaimed that candidate's character was supreme in all politics. They claimed that in order to use it against Bill Clinton. Now they've supported the likes of Donald Trump and Roy Moore, who make Clinton look like a Baptist Sunday School teacher. They have abandoned their conviction for political expedience, and now they have to "own" that decision, and they are paying the price for it.

Their references to Bill Clinton is just further indication of the total abandonment of values and integrity on the part of Evangelical leaders, and Southern Baptists like Robert Jeffress. It just makes them bigger hypocrites than they already are, since they also once stood their ground saying that pointing to someone else from decades ago to justify a current politician that they support is sheer hypocrisy. Back then, they were referring to the references from the other side about conservative, Christian support of Nixon as a means of neutralizing the right's criticism of Clinton.

Evangelicals, including the Southern Baptists who openly identify with the political right "own" everything that comes with Trump's character. Their endorsement of him includes their failure to address or speak up regarding his character. He is publicly a liar, an adulterer and fornicator, a promoter of immorality for profit, dishonest in business and places no qualification on moral character as a leadership requirement. It is leading people to conclude that Evangelicals are hypocrites, and those who support Trump without qualification absolutely are.

https://baptistnews.com/article/souther ... lt51ExFzIU
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Just heard this on TV: "I guess truth is being viewed thorough a partisan prism”. They were discussing whether or not Trump said those countries are “s***holes”.

Joseph and Sandy are Democratic leaning. Jim and William and Robert Jeffress are Republican leaning. Thus their bias. And “bias” does not mean they are wrong.

I hope all meeting attenders speak up (or better yet an audio tape) to get to the truth. But irregardless of how that turns out, it is clear that Trump does not agree with the sentiment on the Statue of Liberty at a major entry point for immigrants:
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Hey, this list "immorality, racism, narcissism, adultery, fornication, corruption, lying" fits Clinton quite well. Only question is about racism. Let's not get too pious here.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:05 pm

Joseph Patrick...aka Gerry Milligan
I want to thank both William and Jim for reading and commenting on this thread, even though they insisted on talking about 20 and 40 year old events. Not sure how those attempts to get the focus off of a garbage mouthed, lying, adulterous and obfuscating commander in chief and his sycophant at FBC Dallas relate to this thread...but keep trying. Myself, I wonder what the good folks at FBC Dallas think.
Joseph Patrick

Postby Sandy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:54 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:35 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:52 pm

Joseph Patrick

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:55 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:47 am

The shock of discovering, in late summer of 1968, that there were actual churchfuls of people who thought you could be a Christian and still vote for Nixon is with me to this day.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:46 am

Some of my lib friends supported Hil and Bill, no matter what. So what? Obama, so what. There are different political opinions among us. If it feels good to my lib friends to vent here about their poor, misled, blind, Baptist brethren I'm OK with that. The adult coloring books must get old as a stress reliever. You will get another shot at it. Run someone who isn't an appallingly poor candidate.

If you drop the alleged vulgar term, there is a perfectly legitimate issue about immigration policy. Even with the vulgarity there is a legitimate policy discussion.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am

A little history may be in order. Remember that FBC Dallas was served for more than forty years by W. A. Criswell who preached segregation from the 1940's up to around 1970, and only then backed away from his previous stands in public. I suspect that the Criswell DNA there still has a major hold over racial approaches though the church has received African Americans for some years. In Criwell's heyday, there were guards at the doors to keep blacks from entering the church to disturb the services, especially during the 1950's, if my memory serves me correctly. Criswell was also incensed at Southern Seminary when Dr. Henlee Barnett invited a guest lecturer to come to his classes. That lecturer was Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Criswell wanted Barnett fired for his affront to Southern values. Check my history on that one, but I heard Barnett tell the story.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:39 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:51 am

Jim

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:34 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:25 pm

Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:32 pm

Rvaughn

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:38 pm

Let's see...Dave introduces a 40 year old argument which is received as cogent and insightful by my mod lib/Trumphating hair-on-fire friends. Jim and I harken back a mere 20 years to disdain and ridicule.

Guess I need to overnight an extra supply of adult coloring books (stress relievers, not psycho treatment). Maybe Medicare covers it. Get try a few myself.

Why don't you guys have your own ihatetrump forum? Make it private. Have fun. Make some new friends. Congratulate each other for your wisdom and insight.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:39 pm

Joseph Patrick

Postby Sandy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Sandy

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues