[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Thought Provoking Editorial

Thought Provoking Editorial

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Thought Provoking Editorial

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:09 am

We are in the season of hearing "Fear Not" from our scripture passages. Charles Matthews, a UVA professor, was published with this thoughtful analysis in the Washington Post. Please ignore the source, but read what he has to say.

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Re: Thought Provoking Editorial

Postby Sandy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:20 am

It's right on target.
Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:29 am

Rvaughn

Postby John Sneed » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:33 am

I have tried three times today, on three different websites, to read this article. I get the same message over and over, to read it, I have to subscribe to the Washington Post. I gave up.

John
John Sneed

Postby Sandy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:35 am

Ignore the source? Matthews is credible, and so is the Post.
Sandy

Postby Jim » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:33 pm

I made it through four or so paragraphs and am still laughing...straight from the Maddow/MSNBC/Matthews playbook. The poor guy should do as others have done concerning the election last year, take a bottle of aspirin per week, a tranquilizer at night and/or see a shrink who's not already seeing a shrink.
Jim

Postby Sandy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:25 pm

If you had any doubts about the veracity of the Matthews piece, Jim's comments should erase all doubt and confirm it for you. If that's Jim's reaction, then the guy nailed it.
Sandy

Postby Neil Heath » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:26 pm

I also read it on FB and thought it was perceptive, and spot on in many places.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:07 pm

Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:15 am

I wrote a lot but then realized it was a waste of time (for me).

My take on article -

Lame --- Ignorant --- Made his point, though his point is biased and simply stupid - says one who is an educated white male.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:24 am

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:51 am

Cheap shot filled hit piece. Not a lot of thinking required. Should appeal to the mindless religious left.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:59 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:56 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:01 am

I thought what he had to say about the "nones" being driven to be "none" by Christians own fear of losing to secularism as being quite perceptive. It fits scholarly works I've read about the topic, including "Tribal Church" by Carol Howard Merritt, a well known author and pastor in the PCUSA.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:06 am

Neil, if it is on the WAPO site, which wants a subscription, how do you "read it on FB"?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:23 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:11 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:45 pm

I'm a WAPO subscriber, so I do know.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:12 pm

I find it interesting when some write about evangelical Christians’ fears of losing control of the culture (which they have already lost) but are loathe to mention that many Christians have changed gears to embrace the new dominant culture. I guess that is a "good" cultural problem since that agrees with what they want.
Last edited by Rvaughn on Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rvaughn

Postby Jim » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Jim

Marsh on Bonhoeffer and the Politics of Stupidity

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:30 pm

Marsh is a UVA colleague of Matthews at UVA. I imagine they know each other through the Lived Theology project.

It would do wonders for this chat if I were not the only revenant on this board to give careful consideration to Marsh on Bonhoeffer and the politics of stupidity and his letter of NY Eve 1942 facing 43
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Jim » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:48 pm

Definition of evangelical (M-W, 11th edition, [adjective]): “emphasizing salvation by faith in the atoning death of Jesus Christ through personal conversion, the authority of Scripture, and the importance of preaching as contrasted with ritual.” [Noun]: “one holding evangelical principles or belonging to an evangelical party or church.” This explains why the Mainstream Denominations are radically declining. They have substituted political correctness for spirit-inspired living (that is, that anything goes if it feels good and doesn't kill somebody). The main-streamers, by foreclosing evangelism as key, have spit in the face of Christ vis-a-vis virtually his last words on earth before ascending. The Episcopal Church lost 17% of its members between 2011 and 2015. The main-streamers are dying on the vine, headed for demise by their own collective hand as they replace the sacred with the secular.
Jim

Postby Sandy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:39 pm

Last edited by Sandy on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy

Postby Jim » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:46 pm

Jim

Next

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum