[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Democratic senator Franken resigns

Democratic senator Franken resigns

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Democratic senator Franken resigns

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:26 pm

Does anyone care?
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Democratic senator Franken resigns

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:56 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:01 pm

And to be clear, if we are going to put things on a scale, chasing after under-aged girls is even more despicable. But, if Franken forced himself on women of any age, he clearly has a problem. If we don't hold men accountable it just perpetuates the problem. Given that it wasn't just one woman a long time ago in some "misunderstanding" but multiple accusations, Franken's actions seem to show a pattern of misbehavior.

I always liked Franken and I'm sorry that he has wrecked not only his political career but his opportunity to stand up for the issues he has been an advocate for.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:22 pm

Rvaughn

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:55 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:57 pm

Yes I care. Regardless of his political position, and in spite of his career as an entertainer, neither of those things excuse his behavior. We hold leaders like him up as role models for our kids, and it has not been easy, trying to explain to intelligent, thoughtful, middle and high school students who hold their faith closely why character matters sometimes, but if the guy agrees with your political position, it is OK to ignore his character. What kids are learning from the evangelical support of Trump, and now of Moore, is Machiavellian, and diametrically antithetical to a Biblical, Christian worldview.

On a lighter note, you have those nasty, far left winger, godless, liberal Democrats pushing for the removal of a senator and a member of congress of their own party based on their moral behavior, regardless of the political cost, and you have the self-righteous, sneering, ultra right wing conservative Republicans supporting a president with 12 open and provable accusations of sexual assault, and a whole litany of self-described immorality, and pushing for the election of a child molester to the senate. If actions really do speak louder than words, then there's been a major paradigm shift in the political world regarding social issues and character requirements. This isn't getting lost on people, either.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:02 pm

I guess William the question for public service is do we put a statue of limitations on pedophiles? Maybe legally you have to. But I don't want an unrepentant pedophile in congress.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:25 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:37 pm

I'm way ahead of all of you on Moore...have been for years.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:51 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:18 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:52 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:13 pm

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:36 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:57 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:11 am

Rvaughn

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:16 am

I read and grieve the ways that powerful men have approached women as objects, not as persons. The objectifying of human beings is deplorable in any context. Franken needed to go as does the Arizona representative talking surrogacy with his staff assuming he was seeking conception from himself. Moore needs to be repudiated by the GOP. Trump needs to be treated for what he has confessed to being. Oh, yes, and we all need to take responsibility for our actions toward others. It is a sad state for the country to have allowed so much in Washington to become a festering sewer rather than the leading examples of decency. A king who once thought he was above the law had to humble himself before God praying, "Create in me a clean heart, o God, and renew a right spirit within me." I don't hear that prayer in our national discourse.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:22 am

The interesting thing about this discussion is that all allegations against men brought by women are automatically believed, never mind no actual proof of wrongdoing (whatever wrongdoing is these days). The allegations are submitted to news organizations, not to the courts, suggesting that a political rather than a criminal/moral basis frames the issue. I believe neither Moore nor the women since neither presents any explanation other than “he said, she said.” With Franken and Conyers, concrete proof, besides admission in Franken's case, frames the issue, although in Moore's case no charge was ever made despite his numerous campaigns until now, making one wonder who prompted the women, after their waiting for up to 40 years, to suddenly go public, thus the justifiable smell-test. The Clarence Thomas case was/is instructive. Anita Hill was practically arm-twisted (or well-paid?) for weeks into obtaining her 15 minutes of fame. The notion that women are morally superior to men is and always has been false. Women (only as a “professional” matter) since the beginning have sold their bodies for whatever objective. Men have sold theirs for fighting wars, suggesting that men might be considered at least one percent as pure as women. Both share equally in terms of morality. Any man who has ever worked in proximity to women (teachers, ministers, military, etc.) knows that a woman bent on revenge for any reason such as being “dumped” or refused a passing grade can ruin a man's life by simply making a charge, no proof needed. The vice-versa is also true and only the most naïve believes that women have never “offered” themselves as remittance for a favor, promotion, etc. The Clintons are the perfect example of male-female equality when it comes to evil. Trump is no saint and Hillary gives women a bad rap, with plenty of proof, as does trump for men.
Jim

Postby Haruo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:41 am

I still want to know about the retired cop's statement.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:45 pm

Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:02 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:06 pm

Rvaughn