[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - A New Scripture out of Nashville

A New Scripture out of Nashville

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

A New Scripture out of Nashville

Postby Haruo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:25 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: A New Scripture out of Nashville

Postby Sandy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:50 am

Note that the "Nashville Statement" was of conservative evangelical, not exclusively Southern Baptist origin, but the declaration of its inerrancy did come from Southern Baptists across the river in Arkansas.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:47 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:08 pm

While one might fairly charge them with a poor choice of words in using "without error," I think a charitable reading understands that they are simply saying that they agree with the declarations that the Nashville Statement makes about human sexuality.

Of course, probably none of the rest of us have ever claimed to agree with what someone else has written.
Rvaughn

Postby William Thornton » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:48 pm

I think you're a bit too charitable. The reported quote was, "Arkansas Baptists went so far as to describe the Nashville Statement as “without error in its declarations based on biblical truths.”

The BFM famously uses "truth without mixture of error." The statement above claims an inerrant declaration. Or, do they mean that the declaration was inerrant only in its declarations that were based on biblical truths? Sounds rather like the mods of old.

It was dumb.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:04 pm

I don't mind agreeing that it was dumb/poorly expressed/whatever. But, William, do you really think Arkansas Baptists (SBC) believe the Nashville Statement is inerrant in the same sense as the Bible? That seems to be what Bob Allen is trying to imply.

Anyway, they're your people, not mine; I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Rvaughn

Postby William Thornton » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:34 pm

My peeps sometimes do dumb things. Bob Allen didn't let this slide by...nor would I.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:47 pm

Rvaughn

Postby John Sneed » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:28 pm

On this one, I have to agree with RVaughn in his reading of things. I see their statement as saying, In so far as what the Bible says, the Nashville Statement has not made any errors. I don't believe they are claiming inerrancy for the statement. I think people who don't like the Statement over-react so they can dramatize their disagreement.
John Sneed

Postby Haruo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:50 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:52 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:16 pm

So, Leland, you really think that Arkansas Southern Baptists mean to say that the Nashville Statement is just as inspired and inerrant as the Bible?
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:21 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby John Sneed » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:38 pm

A red letter (no pun intended) day at Baptistlife.com. For once, I think we are all in agreement.
John Sneed

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:26 pm

What is the old saying? "Miracles never cease."
:)
Rvaughn

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:32 am

This describes why most of the Baptists along the Appalachian Mountain chain have always declared, "No book but the Bible, no creed but Christ." In their declaration, Arkansas Baptists stepped in it, and it didn't smell good. Their words about human words are likely to haunt them.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:01 pm

For me, their statement calls into question the degree to which they mean anything more than "I agree with the Bible because the Bible agrees with me" when they apply those words to the inerrancy of the Bible itself.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:31 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:04 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:42 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to SBC News and Trends