[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Christmas is coming

Christmas is coming

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Christmas is coming

Postby Haruo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:08 pm

I am starting this thread in the hopes that it can be a gathering place for discussion of what we and/or our churches and/or our families and/or our communities etc. are doing for the Advent-through-Epiphany season. I will probably post a lot of stuff in it, but I hope the rest of the crew will do what you can.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Long Advent

Postby Haruo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:15 pm

I am a fan of "Long Advent", which is the practice of starting Advent 7 Sundays before Christmas instead of 4. Many people who have studied the history of the liturgical calendar have come to the conclusion that originally (not meaning before Jesus was born, but like "in the early Middle Ages") Advent, like Lent, was a seven-week season. I don't really know, and don't really care a whole lot, whether they're correct on the history, but I like the long form because I like the "O Antiphons" (and the hymn, "O come, O come, Emmanuel", drawn from them).

Haruo
Site Admin

The Great "O!" Antiphons

Postby Haruo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:53 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Nails, spear shall pierce him through

Postby Haruo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:12 pm

Here's a fasola-shapenote arrangement of GREENSLEEVES I did this morning with the third verse of "What Child Is This?" in Esperanto, Spanish, and English, and a score supplied by Robert Vaughn. I used the long-form words in English and Esperanto, but I only have a short-form version in Spanish. I'm just a long-form type of guy, I guess. I like the Long Advent and all seven stanzas of "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel", and the long (i.e. chorusless) version of "What Child Is This?" I also like all seven stanzas of "How Firm a Foundation", for that matter, not that it's particularly an Advent hymn.

I was raised on the short form of this song, which is where each verse uses the same words for the second half of the tune: "This, this is Christ the King, whom shepherds guard and angels sing. Haste, haste to bring him laud, the Babe, the Son of Mary." In the long form, the second stanza ends with "Nails, spear shall pierce him through, the cross be borne for me, for you. Hail, hail the Word made flesh, the Babe, the Son of Mary." and the third stanza ends as given below, but starting "So..." instead of "O...":

Haruo
Site Admin

Evergreen Advent

Postby Haruo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:50 pm

Last year, our ABC Region, Evergreen, had a photo-op Advent calendar going, looked like this Image and you would post photos related to the word of the day on social media (Facebook and Twitter anyway; not sure if they used other platforms). This year, the goal is a video series. So far four churches have signed on, so it may just be videos on Sundays. Here's explaining the project and inviting participation.

Haruo
Site Admin

Lo,how a Rose e'er blooming

Postby Haruo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:46 pm

...in German, Latin, English and Esperanto.

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Christmas is coming

Postby Sandy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:31 pm

Our congregation doesn't really practice a formal advent calendar. The Christmas season is a living expression of love in the world, so during the time of advent, worship focuses on expressing "that of God within" outwardly, through specific acts of giving and serving in which the whole congregation participates. This is only the second Christmas season I've been involved with the Friends congregation, and last year, there were a few people who brought up elements of advent in worship, so I would guess there might be others who do the same this year, during the seasonal calendar. The giving and serving really makes for a great holiday season.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:50 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:52 pm

As a congregation, we start at Thanksgiving by participating with the local rescue mission's food drive, which provides a turkey, all the sides and trimmings, to about 900 families in the area. We participate in the collection, then help organize and pack the boxes. On Thanksgiving Day, we rent a local VFW hall that has a great kitchen and dining facility, and cook and serve a meal pretty much all day. It's open invitation, anyone can come. The rest of the season, we more or less find neighbors who have needs. My wife and I have done yard work, snow shoveling, giving rides to doctor's appointments, every now and then we do a soup and salad supper on a Saturday afternoon just for neighbors to get together.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:08 pm

Sounds good.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:04 pm

Here are two carols for the beginning of the Advent season (the announcement), one in major key and the other in minor: ; . Anyone not afraid of the possibility of traumatizing the choir or congregation is welcome to use them.
Jim

Postby Haruo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:47 am

Thanks! Well done, I think.

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Nails, spear shall pierce him through

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:17 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:36 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Lo,how a Rose e'er blooming

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:04 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:46 am

You're welcome. I think it's a good song in any language. But the original is often the best.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:57 am

At the Second Sunday Singing in Olympia, Washington, yesterday, we sang my mockup of Greensleeves in English and Spanish. It worked pretty well, considering it was a small group with a couple of complete newbies and some confusion at first about the alto clef. Thanks to Robert Vaughn for supplying the notation. The text was the third stanza of "What Child Is This?"

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:00 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:37 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:39 pm

That is the reason I chose it. We used to have several songs with alto on an alto clef, and a few with the alto on a bass clef. But if you can set it alright on the G clef, I'm sure alto singers would appreciate it.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:39 pm

As I've gone through the Extended Advent this year, one thing I've been doing is setting the seven stanzas of "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" each to a different (shapenote) tune. Here are the results so far:

I just posted this coming Sunday's "Rex Gentium" stanza, set to a foreshortened version of 242 ODE ON SCIENCE: Image

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:40 pm

Last Sunday was "Morning Star" (Oriens): Image

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:42 pm