[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Georgia Founder of the Free Will Baptists in Texas

Georgia Founder of the Free Will Baptists in Texas

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Georgia Founder of the Free Will Baptists in Texas

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:43 pm

I have posted a series on my blog titled Angus McAllister Stewart: “Man of God, Friend of All Mankind,” and the “Founding Father” of the Free Will Baptist Church in Texas. After graduating from Buford Academy in Gwinnett County, Georgia, he came to Texas to teach school and also founded a Free Will Baptist Church at/near in 1876.

Rather than try to copy and paste here (it's rather lengthy), I will post a link to navigate to the 8 posts in the series.

This is a work in progress, and I welcome any feedback -- questions, quandaries, comments, complaints!

Thanks.
Rvaughn

Re: Georgia Founder of the Free Will Baptists in Texas

Postby David Flick » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:11 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:48 am

I like Free Will Baptists. They are a lot like Methodists who just like to use a lot of water. :wink:
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:24 am

So was "Doctor Reuben Gideon “Dock” Jimmerson" a doctor by education and/or title, or was "Doctor" (and the nickname "Dock") a given name like the Judge in Colored Sacred Harp editor Judge Jackson? And I would note that the records of this fellow spell his various names variously, with at least one "Reubin", and with as far as I can see "Jimerson" outnumbering "Jimmerson". Do you know whether (as I would assume) the D. R. Jimerson who was the senior pastor at the meeting following Angus's demise was this same D[octor] R[euben] Jim[m]erson? And I wonder if he's related to Ellin Jimmerson of Huntsville.

Any hymn texts emerging from the Freewillers you've been studying?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:42 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:58 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:53 am

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:57 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:53 am

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:19 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:50 am

Et voilà...

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:03 am

Here's the other to WELLS... Image

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:44 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:36 pm

In the L.M. hymn, I changed "Know you" in the second stanza to "Know ye"; if I had it to type over (which I will of course if it goes into my book) I think I'll also change "the dear disciples' feet" to "his dear disciples' feet".

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:08 am

Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:28 pm

A couple of Free will Baptist History related posts:

Rvaughn

Return to Baptist History and Heritage