[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Truett Celebration in Hayesville NC. 150th; Born 1867

Truett Celebration in Hayesville NC. 150th; Born 1867

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Truett Celebration in Hayesville NC. 150th; Born 1867

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Two years after the Civil War. See my blog for his Mother's prayer circa 1874

More later. Book presentations, Chic Fil A Coupons and at least one stellar presenter. Should have picture of his Grandfather Kimzey's Grave. My Dad was pastor there at Truett Memorial from 58- Jan 62. Stewart A Newman stopped by to visit us there.

Gonna be a sweet time in Jesus, and a Homerun for authentic Baptist legend and church state legacy.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Great afternoon in North Carolina

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Featured speaker Dr. Colin Harris, retired religion proff at Mercer and frequent contributor to Ehtics Daily was Lincolnesque.

Stephen M. \fox, the convener and driving force for this event kept it together, did not become overwhelmed with emotion in his 15 minute talk about his father's ministry in Hayesville. Fox talked about the first grade, crinoline dresses and starch, baseball, chic fil a coupons with a little Truett thrown in.

There was apanel l after the Fox and Harris p[resentations. Hersey Miller, a retired physician from Statesville NC came on stage. His father Joe Miller was associational missionary at the Truett Camp until 1960, Hersey's sophomore year of basketball. He had some strong Scrabble contests with the Rev Billy Fox.

In Q and A HHS principal Noe asked a most timely question about patriotism and NFL protests which evoked a passionate response from Miller's wife, a native of Ducktown, Tn. She seemed to get the most applause from the 75 or so students, though there was attentiveness and applause of appreciation for all participants.

Young teacher from Orlando, Fl, English major at Western Carolina where he played QB and receiver for the football team, seemed to be impressed with the presentation. He, another |Teacher and Principal Noe, a former baseball player at UCF had all read some Ron Rash. There was only one confessing Chastain in the audience. I expected at least 15.

Stephen Fox

Truett Panel makes Memories of Gaffney News

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:13 am

Stephen Fox

Marshall Frady legacy endures

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:03 pm

I saw Beverly Simmons of the FU 62 class today in the Furman bookstore. She said Marshall was to graduate in 62 but was thrown out of school for a year for a boycott of the dining hall he instigated.

Beverly knew Marshall and his Dad Yates in Augusta as Bev's Dad was pastor as well. She has been an activist/community organizer for the CBF of SC and done great work in Allendale, SC, a Template maybe for another church in crisis, Collinsville Baptist according to reports from a recent Business meeting. Ms Simmons and Healthy congregations dot org could help CBC focus if they are not too stubborn and proud to seek counsel outside the boundary lines of Deekalb County Alabama.

Mr. Tuck and the 8 Heroes by John and Sophie Harris. Get a copy, order today for the elementary school you attended. Starting running Back for the Furman Paladins, Mr Dirks, a History major bought a copy today for his elementary school in East Texas. I have a copy in hand for my brother's three grandchildren. Google the Furman magazine profile of John Harris and the book at the Furman Magazine.

Ms Simmons, great friend of Colin Harris wife Faye has distributed several copies and endorses the book. Good for the Alt right SBC, Rick Burgess, Donnie Myers, his daughter Allison, Peggy Weaver and the ministry of FUMC Guntersville, Al including John Federico; all God's children need this book.

Mr Dirks is from East Texas. He is googling the wiki on Marshall Frady this weekend.

Went to Shelby NC today with my Brother for Bridges BBQ. Saw my HS Classmate and fellow Beta club member and Miss Chadwick's Advanced Comp class Andy Gunn today as he was leaving the Q. Great to see him.

In my Senior annual he inscribed: "Mike Francis Shall Return!!!!"

Mike died a couple years ago, but we will all meet in heaven someday.

Stephen Fox

Nov 2 Clay County Progress

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:32 am

A Weekly, it promises to be stellar with at least one, maybe two pieces on the October 19 Truett event in Hayesville. Find their contact in Hayesville NC on the Town Square the West side nearest Truett memorial BC, and have them send you a copy by mail. Should not be more than a buck fifty including shipping and handling. My report is more than adequate and Dr. Colin Harris presentation likely to be in print in full, is sublime. History making issue. I hope some of you order a copy.

Stephen Fox

Hersey Miller and Marilynne Robinson

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:14 pm

Stephen Fox

Here is the juice

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Dr. Colin Harris had a piece up yesterday at Ethicsdaily.com. It is sterling.

And here is more inflection, nuance and frame from my illustrious blog

http://foxofbama.blogspot.com/2017/11/t ... le-nc.html

Stephen Fox

Return to Baptist History and Heritage