[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - More ammo for gun control!

More ammo for gun control!

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

More ammo for gun control!

Postby KeithE » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:47 pm

were used to kill in Las Vegas. This is the worst mass shooting in American history.

There is no need for such weapons in self-protection or hunting or target shooting, the chief excuses to own weapons.

Nevada has allowing open carry, concealed weapons, and rapid-fire machine guns.

When will we ever learn????

As for most Americans - they want stricter gun control (55% wants stricter laws, 10% want laxer laws).

That does not make it right. But reducing our disgraceful level of firearm deaths in this country ought to be a Congressional mandate.

Gun deaths are 653X more prevalent than deaths resulting from terrorism.

Just had to add some plots to show the magnitude of the problem. :wink:
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: More ammo for gun control!

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:43 pm

Any word for the 515 wounded or families of the 58 killed before we do a deep dive into the politics?
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:59 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:34 pm

Perhaps a word about the miscreant murderer?

Right. Neither victims nor the assailant concerns you.

Got it.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:04 pm

Keith, it's a terrible thing for the victims, families, and country. Wouldn't it be a prudent thing to allow a day or so before you inflict a bunch of graphs on the few people here and start your lecture? Give it some thought. Your instincts are just haywire sometimes.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:19 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:00 pm

A guy gets 10 rifles modified by an easily attainable gadget into a hotel room on the 32 floor, and knocks down over 600 people in a matter of minutes, murdering 59 of them. So when do we have that discussion?
Sandy

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:17 pm

As a result of Las Vegas, gun-stores will be flooded tomorrow by new buyers. This killer played it cool and positioned himself so that a handgun--or any gun--could not be used in defense until he was found, but this most often is not the case. There will also be a lot of applicants for concealed-carry and who can blame them? Perhaps some sort of "dialogue" will be set up so ordinary citizens can ease the roiled waters with whoever is available for a chat. Chicago Mayor Rahm would be ideal as a moderator. Never let a crisis be wasted, according to him, and he should know because his city lives in bullet-riddled crisis-mode 24/7, handguns being preferred or an occasional knifing-tool.
Jim

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:48 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:09 am

This is truly a ding dong, bat guano crazy moment.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:23 am

The first I knew that anything was going on was a Facebook post from one of our nieces saying "We are safe". They were in lock down in a theater close to the shooting, then were able to return to their hotel rooms.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby KeithE » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:41 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:26 am

Had a nice bowl of cereal this morning. Not as good as eggs.

Hey, you're a smart guy and I appreciate a lot of your stuff. You are tone deaf here. Does it need to be explained?

Here's an alternate headline: "59 killed, over 500 wounded in bloody shooting. Worst in US history. Forum know-it-all ignores the gore, victims, first responders, community, national, and international outpouring and solves it all in one short post with some nice graphs."

Keep on trucking, bro. You left this planet long ago.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:59 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Ive called several members of the SC and Bama delegation

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:55 am

And had a blowout this morning with the screener for fundamentalist radio talk in Bham 24 hours, the group that went after Tom Corts of Samford in 93. Also talked to the Presidents office of Samford University about their collegial relationship with Rick Burgess, Roy Moore supporters

Talk to the Alabama Baptist Keith and the SBOM. Call out Rick Lance on this matter, and the matter of NRA Champhion Steve Bannon on the ground in Bama for Roy Moore. Join me in approaching Nick Saban's St Francis Catholic Church. Join the Bonhoeffer movement in Bama to resist the Devil and All his minions, Roy Moore, fundy talk radio, the complicitous Baptist Church of the Highlands and all 14 campuses.

Will Bama be Struck Mute again like the 8 ministers to whom King sent the Letter from the Bham Jail in 63.

Are Bama Baptists just as ignorant and irrelevant as EVER?
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

And for William Thornton

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:58 am

Easy Google. Osnos, Selling the Politics of Fear, New Yorker

And Two Hillary Clinton, the NPR Fresh Air interview, second segment on the cabal of NRA Dark Money, the Mercers, Banon, Bossie, Citizens United who gave us Donald Trump

And Three another simple google, NYbooks.com, Devil's Bargain.

Four: Local Barnes and Noble, You can start with Buford if Athens not closer. Pulitzer Marilynne Robinson, The Givenness of Things, Essay Memory on Bonhoeffer.

I'm with Bonhoeffer, you can have Gray Allison, Jesse Helms and his Death Squads in El Salvador.

Stephen Fox

Roxanne Cash comes out against NRA

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:37 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/03/opin ... abc-region

And see my blog on the soul molesting in Alabama

Stephen Fox

Postby John Sneed » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:55 pm

Very simply, gun control, so called, does not work. It makes liberals happy because they think they have fixed the problem. It makes good people less safe, and criminals don't care about it anyway. In th end, it only creates more victims.

John Sneed
John Sneed

Postby Sandy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:28 pm

Sandy

Postby Sandy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:53 pm

The best way to honor the 58 dead in Las Vegas, the woman who died in the Nashville shooting, the kids at Sandy Hook, at the college in Oregon, the church in Charleston, and the hundreds who are victims of gun violence every day is to start the conversation now. Sitting around, offering "thoughts and prayers" and waiting until a more appropriate time is just a lack of will to resolve what is a life threatening problem. Those who genuinely believe in the sanctity of human life need to step up and take the lead.
Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:16 am

Keith -

Can you tell me what gun law can be passed that would have stopped the shooting in Las Vegas?

Or, the next one?
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby William Thornton » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:40 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:07 am

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby KeithE » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:56 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:56 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues