[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - From the Red to the Rio Grande

From the Red to the Rio Grande

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

From the Red to the Rio Grande

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:46 pm

Rvaughn

Re: From the Red to the Rio Grande

Postby Sandy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:06 pm

I spent a lot of time in Texas, and ran into a lot of different kind of Baptists, many of them with uniquely Texas origins. The distinctive differences between them were surprising, given their use of the term "Baptist," and the common elements. I can't say that I ever ran across a Free Will Baptist church in Texas, at least, not of the kind that are fairly abundant in Missouri, and even more so around here and down in West Virginia.
Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:09 pm

Most, if not all, of the white Free Will Baptists in Texas are affiliated with the and the . Most of the black Free Will Baptists in Texas are affiliated with one of the United American Freewill Baptist Associations. The book is by a retired pastor in the NAFWB, so is primarily about the white Free Will Baptists in Texas. I think there are only about 50 churches across the whole state.

The Free Will Baptists got a late start (1870s), so I suppose a lot of communities already had a Baptist church. They have also lost a lot of churches over the years. They once had probably a dozen churches in our county, and now I think have only three. One unique thing about Texas Free Will Baptists is that, though in the South, they had a strong connection to the Free or Freewill Baptists in the Northeast. When most of the Free Baptists merged with the Northern Baptist Convention in 1911, I think it was a hard blow to the FWBs here -- not that many of them joined the Northern Baptists, but more that it left them isolated.

This is an interesting read, though I've just started. In the closing chapters, the author offers his opinions on why the FWB's have struggled in Texas.

The oldest existing Free Will Baptist church in the state is St. Paul Freewill Baptist Church in Lancaster, organized in 1870. It is a predominantly black congregation.
Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:17 pm

If any of you are interested in Free Will Baptist history, you might take a look at some things I have posted.

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:36 pm

I've always been fascinated with the Baptist history in Texas, particularly in East Texas. One of the things I noticed during the many years spent there was the distinctive differences even between Southern Baptists in East Texas, compared to elsewhere in the state. The churches in the rural areas of West Texas are different, too. So these Free Will Baptists are part of that mix, and were pretty intense, and very conscious of their identity. It seems very important, even today, for Baptists there to distinguish themselves by addint "Missionary" to their identity, i.e. "Missionary Baptist." It would be hard to mistake the theological posture of a church that identifies itself as a "Free Will Missionary Baptist" church.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:38 pm

Free Will Missionary Baptists are presumably the ones who missionaries go of their own free will and not under legal or other compulsion?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:51 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:44 am

Sorry, Robert, I think I had an attack of drive-by facetiousness. In my experience, too, Missionary in a Baptist church name predisposes me to expect a predominantly African-American congregation.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:58 am

Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Interesting. Thanks, Sandy. I'd think on average the country churches in East Texas tend to be more ABA and BMA than SBC, though there are plenty of country churches in the SBC as well (and when you get out of East Texas ABA & BMA thins out considerably). I think your observation probably applies more to the SBC churches in town than in the country -- which ones I am familiar with in rural settings seem pretty much as conservative as ABA and BMA churches. (Of course, ABA & BMA churches in town tend to be more progressive than rural ones, too, so part of what I am comparing is probably more rural/urban than East Texas/outside of East Texas.)

I am vaguely to somewhat familiar with most of the churches you name, but have never attended church services at any of them. Have been to some of them for other reasons -- for example, funerals, weddings. Dr. Allen Reed, longtime pastor at First Nac (but no longer there), preaches a very good funeral sermon. My grandfather's first cousin was (and I think is still) the youngest man to pastor First Baptist of Nacogdoches. It was quite the "scandal" in the church and community when he choose the "Southern" side after the BGCT-BMAT split.

Central in Carthage, Jacksonville and Livingston are interesting cases, in the sense that we usually expect "First Baptist" to be the SBC church. But in several East Texas towns that is reversed. Green Acres became well-known through Paul Powell (now at Truett Seminary), but is also the home of Judge/Representative Louie Gohmert.

I'll have to observe this/these churches more closely considering what you have said.

Only peripherally related, if you are familiar with Nacogdoches churches, this might interest you:
Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:15 pm

By the way, since Sandy invoked Central Baptist in Livingston, here is a church history tidbit for Sacred Harp lovers:
"No pastor was reported for Ariel Church in 1856, but the church sent delegates H. F. Haynes, J. Galloway, A. Foster, and E. J. Smith with a report to the annual associational meeting. Ariel Church had a membership of 18. In 1857, Reuben E. Brown, who had been a missionary for the Bethlehem Association, became pastor. He represented Ariel Church at the State Baptist Convention in 1858. In 1861, Reuben Brown volunteered his services as Chaplain to the Confederate troops, and he died in Galveston during the war. In 1864, Thomas R. McCrorey, a then future pastor of the Livingston Baptist Church, was detailed to bring his body back to Polk County for burial."
From

by Reuben E. Brown & B. F. White. White and Brown had in-laws in common, White's son having married Brown's daughter.

(not the best, seems like a lot of static or background noise, but the only one I found)
Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:32 pm

Those are mostly "in town" churches, though if you look through the BGCT and SBTC annuals, there aren't as many SBC churches in the rural areas compared to Central, West and North Texas. I would say that's because of the many ABA and BMA congregations scattered in the rural areas of East Texas. But the "town" churches tend to be larger in attendance and membership than SBC churches in similar sized communities in other parts of the state. Most of the larger East Texas SBC congregations have stayed with the BGCT, but there are only two in the whole region that have affiliated with CBF--Austin Heights in Nacogdoches, which is the "college church" close to the Stephen F. Austin State Univ. campus, and FBC Lufkin. Many of the rural congregations have joined SBTC.

I wonder, these days, how many people making casual observations would even be able to tell the difference between a rural SBC congregation in East Texas, and an ABA or BMA congregation. The older members are probably much more well versed in the differences. A number of years ago, an older lady who was a member of an ABA congregation in Arkansas sternly lectured me and filled me in on why the ABA were the closest to the Bible, and Southern Baptists were lining up at the very gates of hell when I suggested that I couldn't really tell the difference. But I believe the ABA, at least in Texas, has now entered into some kind of relationship, perhaps even a merger of sorts, with the Southern Baptists of Texas Convention (SBTC).
Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:56 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:22 pm

There was a family in my former church in Houston who led the music for a while, her dad was a BMA pastor in East Texas, her son went to Jacksonville College for a couple of years, though I couldn't really remember which group had become involved with the SBTC. You're probably more familiar with how that relationship works within the associations and in the convention than I am. With the different missions programs requiring support, I can't imagine that its much more than a fraternal and fellowship relationship.

Austin Heights was formed to be a more progressive kind of church from the start, from what I know of it. It's one of those churches that characteristically can identify with CBF or even the AoB from the outset. The current CBF coordinator, Suzii Paynter, was pastor's wife there for a while. I know that a lot of its members come from the college community. I don't know if they're still in Shelby Doches Association or not. Since the convention split, a lot of those associations have dually affiliated, and have churches that are dually affiliated and uniquely aligned with both state conventions and I hadn't heard of any kind of effort to push churches out, though this one and FBC Lufkin are the only two in all of Deep East Texas that went with CBF. There's one in Beaumont, down closer to the coast. So three in that part of the state.

What I hear from a few seminary friends still hanging around in East Texas is that the Baptist landscape is changing, that many churches are disbanding as membership gets older, and that while Baptists are still the largest denomination in the area, the numbers are dwindling along with the Methodists, Presbyterians and others.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:02 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:07 am

BTW I just put , in Sankta Harmonio.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:34 am

BTW, who's the alto by? Is it in Cooper, and if so does it have the same or a different alto?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Seems to be some borrowed words there, or was this written before "Come Thou Fount."
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Sandy, on the words, what Leland said. This is pretty much a campmeeting type song that uses old texts with a repetitive chorus added.

Leland, the alto is by Anna Cooper Blackshear -- W. M. Cooper's daughter. It was written by her circa 1902, and borrowed by J. S. James in 1911. So the Denson alto is hers (there is one note difference, whether James changed it in error or deliberately).
Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:43 pm

Rvaughn

Return to Baptist History and Heritage