[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Pope Francis Called a Heretic

Pope Francis Called a Heretic

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Pope Francis Called a Heretic

Postby KeithE » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:58 pm

I have not read the charges (or what provoked them), but I thought I’d start a thread on BL to hear the opinions. Not a Baptist F&M topic, but where else should this be placed?

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Pope Francis Called a Heretic

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:47 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:30 pm

Where's what's his face, the French guy, when we need him?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:06 pm

I'd call him a heretic, but then again, I'm Baptist! :-o

On a more serious note, Francis does seem to be moving in certain areas against a 1000 years or so of Roman Catholic dogma, so I could see why some Catholics would be upset. On the other hand, they are the ones who work themselves into a corner through believing that the Pope speaks infallibly when he speaks to questions of faith and morals.
Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:29 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:20 pm

I'm not familiar enough with Catholic doctrine, or the nuances of papal infallibility to comment on whether the pope, by those standards, is a heretic, or is promoting heretical teaching. I have a friend with whom I've served on a couple of accreditation teams who is a priest, and his perspective is that the more reform Pope Francis can get on the table, and the faster he can get it there, the better.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:18 pm

As said above, I’m not a Roman Catholic so I can’t judge what they consider heresy or not. But everyone is someone else’s heretic if judged against our own standards. :wink:
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:24 am

I gather most of the people behind this letter have already left the fold. Which puts them in the same league as Lefebvre or whoever that French guy I alluded to was.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum