[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Radical Origins of Christianity

Radical Origins of Christianity

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Radical Origins of Christianity

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:36 pm

Here is one we can discuss for the rest of the summer. No need for David Flick to take a shot as he will probably be as confused by this as he is about climate change.

Then again it hasn't stopped him before.

Would love Thornton, Haruo and Sandy's take in particular though all are welcome, excepting Flick, at the table

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/ ... ristianity

I think most of us could agree there is no Christianity, not much of one as a major world religion without Paul.

I am proud far as I know. to be the only participant on this board who has spoken in the flesh to reviewer James Wood, and likely the only person who will partake in this conversation to have read his Broken Estate and the Fun STuff. Momma is proud of her boy on those two counts.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Radical Origins of Christianity

Postby Sandy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:24 pm

While I read the New Yorker's review, with the understanding of their perspective when it comes to reviewing books such as this, I'll have to reserve comment until I actually read the book. I was looking for a good summer read, and this actually looks pretty good. I took your advice, Stephen, on Molly Worthen's Apostles of Reason, and enjoyed reading that, though not finding complete agreement with her thesis. This one looks like the kind of book I'd like to give to the 12th grade Bible class to read and discuss. In this environment, that can be dangerous, but I've seen a few senior classes come through here who could handle it, and discuss it intelligently, and without personal bias.
Sandy

Postby David Flick » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:31 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:05 am

Sandy

Flick's rationale

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:31 pm

My experience with Flick is not very rational. Thornton and Dave Roberts, Lamar Wadsworth and Bruce Gourley are more rational than Flick.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Flick's rationale

Postby Jim » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Jim

Re: Flick's rationale

Postby David Flick » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:34 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:07 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:10 am

I feels to me like the author doesn't give enough credit to the gospel writers. His contention that we know more about Paul than Jesus seems a bit off.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:50 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum