[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Ga Baptist Christian Index tackles the Curse of Ham

Ga Baptist Christian Index tackles the Curse of Ham

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Ga Baptist Christian Index tackles the Curse of Ham

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:40 pm

https://christianindex.org/tangled-thre ... bc-part-1/

I commented on their facebook wall. Somehow they didn't mention that on NPR Dwight McKissic says well into the 90s Betty Criswell was still teaching the Curse of Ham to her SS Class at FBC Dallas.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Ga Baptist Christian Index tackles the Curse of Ham

Postby Haruo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:55 pm

You mean, how come it's not kosher? ;)
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:46 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Randy Newman wrote a song about David Flick

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:54 am

I'll let Flick and his Golden Spur try to figger out just which one it was. Others may want to guess as well

BTW I liked Haruo's Kosher comment too. Haruo and I are brothers of the Sacred Harp

Stephen Fox

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:29 pm

Grady Caldwell says, "The so-called Curse of Ham is a false doctrine that was perpetuated to validate the idea that it was biblical for slaves to be in subjugation to the White race." I would think that is accurate conclusion, though I've never actually studied the origin of this idea. Perhaps it became so common that many people continued to assume it was an accurate interpretation of the Bible even when it no longer served such a purpose to them personally.

There was one idea worse than this one, which probably arose for much the same purpose. I had never heard of it until several years back when I ran across a pamphlet among my grandfather's things that discussed the question "Is the Negro a Beast?" The author of the pamphlet asserted that black people were not descendants of Adam, did not have a soul, etc. Apparently this view was never as widespread and died out sooner. My grandfather died before I was born, but I know he didn't agree with the pamphlet because he had it marked up with comments and scripture verses that disagreed with the author's views. Lo and behold, about 4 or 5 years I ran across a guy who actually held this view (one I had never even heard of growing up in the South, starting life in a racially segregated South)!
Rvaughn

Postby Neil Heath » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:59 pm

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:34 am

If you had ever heard my father complaining about the horrible food he had in the Army during WWII, you would think it was the curse of SPAM. :lol:
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:40 am

Spam? I love it. (The non-identifiable meat in a can, not the worthless e-mails that fill your box.)
Rvaughn

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:38 am

Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:42 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Thanks William

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Would you like one of my books from my will. Most going to a nephew who is a big reader and the younger children of a first cousin active in CBF. Came up with a pristine copy of Cold Mtn, and nine other books in a bag sale at Salvation Army last Friday all for a dollar. Had to borrow it from the wife of an independent Baptist preacher who has about 11 children and a great story about Zell Miller. He also has a storefront church service for about 11 Hispanics in Collinsville downtown on Sunday afternoons. I sometime sit outside on the street bench on the sidewalk while they sing the opening hymns.

Do check my history post on Criswell hagiography from the GBC Index, and my blog on my Chic Fil A experience, One of the Chosen, Weds in the Flanders and frady thread.

Stephen Fox

Postby David Flick » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:28 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Climate change is comparable to Betty CRiswell

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:17 am

teachings in her Sunday School class.

I heard over the weekend about how things are playing out in Chile. Makes a strong case Flick is riding the wrong horse. But lets stick here to the Curse of Ham

Stephen Fox

Return to SBC News and Trends