[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Trudy and Ed...

Trudy and Ed...

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Re: Trudy and Ed...

Postby JE Pettibone » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:37 am

JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:55 pm

The singing is at the Grange Hall in Trout Lake.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:14 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:18 pm

. You guys (Trudy and Ed) are in the back row of the tenors, i.e. front & center to the camera.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:33 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:49 pm

Yep, Karen Ŵillard--ignore the circumflex-laden on the capital w--is surely the most prominent Sacred Harper in the northwestern United States. She is also the compiler of "An American Christmas Harp", which any of you who like variety in your Christmas music ought to consider getting.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:16 pm

Ed: We are beginning to find our way around this section of Vancouver, but on Friday we will be moving down to Jensen Beach in Portland on the other side of the Columbia river. It is much closer to the convention center where the ABC Biennial in being held. We will have to move but Trudy will be preaching at Ceder
Hills on the 10th.

We drove down there this morning and the park looks very nice and is just across the street from a huge Shopping center that has most all of the big Box stores but very few eating places. We had Lunch at Jimmy. John's. Portland parking is scarce, therefore expensive. Bus service is good, buses start running early(5:30 AM) and run in to the next early morning (2:00 A.M) so they should serve us well.

We are looking forward to seeing some of our ABCNYS friends as well as many like Hauro and his wife from other ABC Regions, Just as we look forward to Seeing several CBF Friends in Atlanta.
JE Pettibone

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:54 am

Ed: We made the move to Jensen Beach RV site Yesterday; a real link with a few pictures be patient. :) http://www.jantzenbeachrv.com/contact.php

Went exploring at lunch time and found a delightful little restaurant "Hidden Bay cafe" Most of the seating is on a wooden deck next to the boat dock which was filled with sailboats. with the heat wave (91 degrees) we elected to eat inside. As we crossed the deck toward the entrance we where greeted with a spectacular view of a snow capped mountain framed in a forest of sailboat mast. Wouldn't you know it, I did not have my camera and we both had left our phones on a charger in the coach. I hope to get back over there some time in the next two weeks, to get some picture
JE Pettibone

Postby Mrs Haruo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:55 pm

You should be very near the Pendleton Wool plant and the home of Jantzen bathing suit factory. Might be worth a tour. I know some of my friends with large families and frugal Moms used to drive down to Oregon for back to school shopping as there was no sales tax on clothing in Oregon. Its now up to 10% in most of Washington state.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby JE Pettibone » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:25 am

Ed: Really Mrs. H. after we spent a fair amount at the Vancouver Mall on Thursday, we found that there is no sales tax in Portland, not sure if that is permanent or just for this weekend. Perhaps as an enticement to clothe the cyclist. :wink:

And yes I have noticed that I have been misspelling Jantzen, I was not aware of a Pendleton Mills Other than in Pendleton, I had been to that one back in the 70's.
JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:33 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:36 am

Google says it's at 8500 SE McLoughlin Blvd, Portland, OR 97222 Phone: (503) 535-5786

Google seems split on whether it's in Portland or Milwaukie (note spelling).

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:43 am

Lotsa of memories in these travelogs. Seattle of course where I went to college. Vancouver, BC is one of my favorite places but have not been there for 15 years. But I realize you are probably talking about Vancouver WA just across the Columbia from Portland- my dad worked there until we moved to San Francisco area when I was 7. Spent several summers as a youngster in Yakima (grandparents), have relatives in Portland, Gresham, Milwaukie, Boring, The Dalles and Olympia. Trying to develop a trip with my brother (now lives in San Jose), and my sister (now lives in Huntsville) to visit NW relatives. But scheduling is a problem right now (brother has new contract job due end of August, sister needs to work as a sub teacher starting in early August).
Last edited by KeithE on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:51 am

I'll be at the Resource Fair at the CBF Convention on Wednesday evening this week as well as a CBF golf tournament Wednesday (along with my son). But we are not going to any other CBF offerings.

Our church still contributes to the CBF but not even the Minister gets involved in CBF matters these days (we are mostly about hands-on local ministries and our worship). Discovery Center is limping along - only 13 people in Summer Session so far but summer is usually difficult due to vacations.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:28 am

JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:54 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:41 pm

Last edited by KeithE on Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:48 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:04 pm

Ed: Yesterday was long but informative, worshipful and entertaining.

We caught a bus from Jantzen Beach a 6;15 AM to get the Central Seminary by 7:15 A.M..

The anticipated announcement of a name change for the school has been delayed. They are awaiting required approval from the Nebraska Attorney General for the name change of entities incorporated in that state. I sat next to Molly during the breakfast. I later presented her with a copy of Trudy's PARADIGM PASTOR . We have known Molly since the days in Louisville when I was a Student at Southern, and we occasionally visited her Sunday school class at Dear Park BC. She and Jerod Hugenot who is Associate Regional Executive Minister in ABC/NYS where the only people in the room that I knew.

Central has a number of sites around the country including Portland Or, and my home town, Fort Wayne,In.. They also offer several courses online. We expect to spend some time on the main campus in Shawnee, Ne. on our way back to Florida. At this I have met several Pastors and church staff people from Oregon, California and Oregon who are Central Alumni. The School is in the process of developing a ministry diploma program for the laity designed toward developing a deeper theology in local churches. In my studied opinion this should be a tremendous aid in closing the gap between clergy on laity in many churches.

At noon we loaded into a cab and went to lunch with Hauro & MRS Hauro, in a restaurant recommended by his brother who lives in Portland. I had a dish that was new to me, Salmon Hash, it was quite good. I will Try it at home sometime in the near future. The place was quite noisy but food was great. Hauro found a Sushi bar next door that he plans to visit at a later date.

In the after noon I attended a discussion on presenting the Gospel in a changing culture. Music in the worship was excellent. Good message also.
JE Pettibone

Postby JE Pettibone » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:20 pm

Amazing quantity of fire works in the Jantzen beach area on the fourth, three hours continuous of sound too many trees where we were, to see much of the display, except inside on TV each and every major burst was synchronized with music. Great show.

Yesterday we took the coach to a truck service to have the air filter replaced. They had a terrible time figuring out how to get to it, we finally took every thing out of the closet to find an access The panel leading to that side of the engine, after a call to the manufacturer. The coach is now at an RV shop for the replacement of a light fixture and the slide on the grey water tank. The latter was allowing about a pint and a half of waste water from the sinks and shower to gather in the discharge pipe between times of emptying.. We are staying in a motel in Vancouver through Sunday. Will pick up the coach Monday morning and head east. on I-84 heading for Salt lake City.

D. Flick if you read this if you see this please let us have a GPS setting to locate you. On line or by Phone 518-227-5527.
JE Pettibone

Postby Mrs Haruo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:49 pm

I take it you won't be coming to Seattle then? You may very well sleep better on the road to Oklahoma. Some people in our neighborhood are convinced "Fireworks may be detonated between 9am and midnite on the 4th of July means till 3 am on the 4th 5th and 6th. We haven't been sleeping very well and Haruo has gone back to work early in the mornings so we feel like we are in Zombieland. At least the cats don't seem disturbed other than wanting to burrow under the covers with us more than usual. We enjoyed your company in Portland and I enjoyed my first Biennial once I found my way around. Not being able to walk very far at a time put a damper on things for me but the Hall of Missions was interesting and educational, being I am not a "Cradle Baptist". Have a safe trip!
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby David Flick » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:58 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:32 am

Ed: David and I did make a connection by phone on Wednesday 7/15/17. We plan to see him in Oklahoma on the 26th.

We took a two day break in the middle of last week, near the Snake River In Southern Idaho. For a few days we will be exploring Salt Lake City and take time for Trudy to take a swim in the Great Salt Lake. I am not sure that I will join her in that adventure, I have done it before, wasn't favorably impressed but do think it is an experience that should not be passed up if one is in the area.

We are finding it a bit difficult to find RV space at our choice of parks seems as if all of California is on vacation. So called swimming pools are more like over sized hot tubs, 8 people make a crowd.

In Caldell Idaho we found a Great family Restaurant called MR. V's. Like many places in the west it is quite familiar to those of us who where around in the 1950s. However Mr. V's has had a face lift some time in the last 2 or 3 years while the place near the Snake River had a well worn fishing camp appearance and LIMITED selection of fresh food, mostly prepacked.
JE Pettibone

Postby JE Pettibone » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:04 am

Ed: Visited the TEMPLE SQUARE last evening, an amazing collection of impressive buildings. In the Visitors Center We where surprised to be greeted by two Oriental young women but then noted that perhaps 50 percent of the visitors where also Oriental. We sat in on about 45 min of a rehearsal on the magnificent pipe organ in the Tabernacle. We where both disappointed to learn that we had missed a rehearsal of the famous Mormon Tabernacle Choir yesterday.

Most Christian Christian Denominations could learn a lot about promotion from the LDS .

The City Center has grown greatly since my last visit here in the 1970's . Not many restaurants open on Sunday Evening. We ended up at a Village Inn that looked like those in Florida but lacked the friendly efficient hospitality we are accustomed to . If you are ever there in a Wednesday you get a Free Slice of their famous Pie. They claim it is the best in the world. I am not sure the claim is valid but they do always serve very good pie.
JE Pettibone

Postby JE Pettibone » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:32 pm

Ed: For a few days we have been stopping only in no mans land electronically. I am rather sure that some of the places we passed did have tethered or even untethered Internet access but I don't type while driving. We left Salt Lake City Tuesday and stopped at 2 Walmart's in Wyoming. Droped down into Colorado today, Turned east at Denver and are presently in Sibert CO. Pretty much forced to eat at National chains today Breakfast sandwiches at Subway and a Late lunch at I-Hop. Trudy had chicken fried Stake and I had an Omelet both quite satisfying, and very good service with a great view of miles of grain fields Beyond the typical truck stop assortment of vehicles, trucks, RVs, Automobiles and Motorcycles. Yesterday We had lunch at an independent Restaurant at a Sinclair gas station in Sinclair Wy. The view there was a giant Oil refinery. In the past two days we have seen more trains than on the entire trip up to now.

In Wy, One rest area had possibly the best taxidermy display of wild animals that I have seen anywhere.
JE Pettibone

PreviousNext

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum