[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Dems all in with Ossoff, and lost

Dems all in with Ossoff, and lost

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Dems all in with Ossoff, and lost

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:08 pm

CNN has called it. It was the most expensive house race in history. Ossoff, a 30 year old who took a very thin resume and tens of millions of outside donations and ran a formidable campaign, didn't even live in the district. Get a better candidate who actually lives in the place and you might win.

If I wake up in the morning and CNN is wrong...we can have some real fun.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Dems all in with Ossoff, and lost

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:37 pm

How was he able to run if he didn't live in the district?
Rvaughn

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:10 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Dems all in with Ossoff, and did quite well

Postby Haruo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:59 am

Apparently he moved out of the district so his wife could walk to school (she's in some medical program). He is originally from the district, and plans to move back once she finishes her course of study. Still, when I first heard he didn't live there it did sort of make me wonder if he was a carpetbagger.

Looking at the result, I'd say it was no Republican victory except for the outcome. Last year the GOP candidate got almost 62% of the vote in the general election in the district. This time around the GOP candidate got a hair over 52%. So the total was more than 9% less solid a majority. But it was a majority for the GOP, which would have to be expected in a district that hasn't gone Democratic since before 1979. I'd say if Ossoff moves back into the district and stands his ground (not in the Florida Firearm sense) he ought to be able to pull it off next fall.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:49 am

"Looking at the result, I'd say it was no Republican victory except for the outcome. Last year the GOP candidate got almost 62% of the vote in the general election in the district."

I'd say the outcome made it a complete Republican victory and a complete democratic defeat. Trump barely won the district. I don't think that there is a lot of enthusiasm for another Ossoff run at an incumbent Handel.
Local pundits say dems need a woman or minority to run. Ossoff had 12k involved in a ground game but didn't increase his share of critical non-GOP areas.

Ossoff isn't married. It's his shack up longtime girlfriend. He refused to say when they would get married. He screwed up by not moving into the district. Would have been simple to do so.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:58 am

Ah, girlfriend. In any case, POSSLQ.. You may be right, I wasn't really following the race, just looked at this year's numbers versus last.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:12 pm

Actually, he did better than I expected given the margins of Tom Price in the district. Seems it is at least in play though still a GOP district, perhaps by gerrymandering.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:13 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:28 pm

This year for the first time in a long while, I made a few modest donations early in the presidential campaign to the candidate of my choice. I understand that an email address rarely gives any clue to ones home address, but this year I started getting frantic pleas from candidates all over the country sending me opinion polls, followed by heavy handed donation appeals. The Mister and I don't live very high on the hog, in fact we are more likely walking beside the hog. I think I got more traffic from the Ossoff campaign than any other, and I am clear out in Washington State! I made a few stopovers in the Atlanta air port some 40+ years ago, but that's about as close to Georgia politics as I get. Even when campaign committees know your address it doesn't always help. We happen to live in an unincorporated pocket of the County outside the Seattle city limits, in a different school district than Seattle, but our mailing address says Seattle, so every election day we get bombarded with propaganda for issues and candidates that won't even be on our ballot. :roll:
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:18 am

Best picture of Ossoff loss.

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Haruo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:43 am

That really is a rather precious set of frowns.

Haruo
Site Admin

Thornton hasnt blogged since April

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:26 am

And has not told us which seminary his daughter is now on staff with.

That said, the more regrettable thing for Georgia is a person like Thornton cant see a bigger picture and supports foggy thinking on Ossoff. I heard Bill Nigut panel Weds on Rome Ga affiliate of NPR. Buddy Darden, accent and all had much better points to score on the 6th district loss than Thornton.

It coulda helped if Ossoff had lived in the district, but sadder all the so called education in the 6th, one of the better educated districts in America couldnt see the forest for the trees on This one in Trump's America.

So much for a Ga Tech Engineering degree I guess is one take away.

Handel won more because of the backing of Nathan Deal, a member of a CBF congregation at FBC Gainesville, than because of Trump. Was not so much a referendum on Trump as it was on the power of the Ga Republican Party.

And that is where the alt right resolution in Phoenix shows its underpants.

Last Fall I heard former Gov Roy Barnes, a North Georgian, say it was Lee Atwater's dream to have the voting booth options in the South between a Black Democrat and a White Republican. That's how the Ga GOP and across the south came to power, and the CBF has some prayer meetings to attend to. In Louisville Mitch McConnell was long time member of Crescent Hill where Southern Sem faculty held sway long time before Al Mohler and Russ Moore took over.

So lets get our Republican history right and lets share the insight of Buddy Darden on the 6th. Taylor Branch--his brother Randy is a member of our friend Lamar Wadsworth Heritage in Cartersville Ga where the next Clemson QB is coming from--and Isabel Wilkerson with her connections to Rome Ga could help my friend Willie Tee, as well as Governor Deal with a little remedial education on this matter.

PS Thornton, will like Darden on Tom Murphy and Newt's move to the 6th. That's another reason he should listen online to Bill Nigut show of Weds and Ga NPR

And Jon Estes post of the CNN panel puts him among the brain dead with Bama's Rick Burgess in my opinion. Jon Estes take on where Christ would be at work politically in our environs would be laughable if not so widespread, and ridiculously ignorant.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:24 pm

The one thing worth reading in fox's latest ramble is this: "it coulda helped if Ossoff had lived in the district"

Doesn't take a genius...
William Thornton
Site Admin

Dr. Thornton

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:51 pm

I said a lot more than that. Would be interested in further interpretation and engagement with my definitive post.

Meanwhile I'm in a new round with two Congressmen from Upstate SC on immigration reform and Miss Kathy Hurray, the pastor's assistant at FBC Spartanburg.

Probably fodder for a separate post, but here is the latest anchor in the immigration chat, got me thinking and updating my assertions

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... source=fbb
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Thornton hasnt blogged since April

Postby Jon Estes » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:16 pm

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues