[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Blood at the Root by Patrick Phillips

Blood at the Root by Patrick Phillips

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Blood at the Root by Patrick Phillips

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:43 am

Got the book about the Forsyth Co., Ga, race expulsion, lynchings of 1912. I had heard the story and it was well known around here that no African Americans were in that county. Deplorable tale.

I found myself wishing that the author spent more effort pursuing descendants of the major players. It was interesting to read how an adjacent county avoided the same race expulsion - prominent white citizens stood up to the lynchers, cases were made and folks convicted.

No KKK was involved in the lynchings, just hate filled white folks. The KKK revival was still a few years off. My grandfather was invited to join but declined.

I actually read the book, Stephen, didn't just read a review and drop names.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Blood at the Root

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:47 pm

I'm certain that this was an interesting read. It sounds like part of the struggle of so many places in our country.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:43 pm

Rvaughn

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:03 pm

Forsyth
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:50 pm

Now I'm confused. I thought the lynchings were in Forsyth County? I'm wondering which adjacent county stood up against the lynchers?

Thanks.
Rvaughn

Postby KeithE » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:12 pm

And what is the name of the book you read William?
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:02 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:04 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Fox beat Thornton by almost a year

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:30 am

On the read of this book.

Not only have I read the book twice and got the DeKalb County Library to get a copy, Ive talked to the author on the phone a couple times and in person when he came to Berry College back in January. He has a great book of poetry as well, several of them and read from them in the Berry Chapel.

http://foxofbama.blogspot.com/2016/10/f ... spare.html

Ive read the book twice. William should respect first reads and recommendations here. He talks as if he were the first to discover the book.

Thornton review failed to mention the paltry summations of the Gov Joe Frank Harris, good Baptist whose membership was in Buckhead, in the late 80s after Oprah came to Cumming. Even then the best in the state were in denial......And would be interesting to find out if Clemson QB Deshaun Watson family in Hall were in any way the begats of the Forsyth diaspora.

I am glad he is reading. Phillips was grand in his presentation at First Prez in Rome Ga for a community event after his late afternoon presentation at Berry.

There was some conversation as I have reported on this board, talk Phillips may come to Browns Bridge Church in Forsyth County but I haven't heard anything lately. It's an Andy Stanley satellite congregation, Andy the son of Charles.

Great book, glad Thornton read...... My Nephew's choir sings today at the mission in Chicago where Billy Sunday found Salvation. Thought Billy Tee would like this little piece of Trivia with reverberations for Winder and Barrow County.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Blood at the Root by Patrick Phillips

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:52 am

Just wanted to stir you up a bit
William Thornton
Site Admin

Myabe we can have lunch this summer

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:30 am

If I get another trip to Upstate SC but you may have to meet me in Lavonia. My route doesn't include much of I 85 in the 95 Avalon. Good hot dog stand there maybe we can get as a go order and take to the Dairy King at that exit.

Do look for Phillips poetry, especially the most recent collection. Exquisite, and if I could just get you to read Robinson's Essays, that would enhance the substance of our conversation tremendously.....I have an Episcopalian friend in Athens area whose father was tight with Carlyle Marney. That could be interesting chat as well, something to consider.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:13 pm

Rvaughn

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum