[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - 2017 SBC annual meeting Phoenix

2017 SBC annual meeting Phoenix

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

2017 SBC annual meeting Phoenix

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:23 am

I haven't attended the meeting since 2010 or so but am present this year to offer sharp wit, keen insight, and scintillating commentary. I was somewhat motivated to make the trek this year because my daughter is working for one of the seminaries and is here on their behalf. Too hot for my wonderful wife who prefers heat/humidity of 90/80 rather than 105/20.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: 2017 SBC annual meeting Phoenix

Postby Sandy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:06 am

I was born in Phoenix and always heard the expression, "It's a dry heat." Only 105? Must be a wave of cool weather. 115 is not unusual this time of year. Nothing like a good convention meeting in Phoenix in June. Of course, it is the most air conditioned city in the country, so it's not hard to escape and there's plenty to do inside, even the baseball games. If you like great Mexican food, you are just a short distance from some of the best in the world.

I haven't heard anything about any controversial stuff coming up.
Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:41 pm

Rvaughn

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:36 am

The pastors conference, a private meeting always held the Sunday and Monday before the SBC annual meeting has been a showcase for megapastors, celebs, non-SBC big names, etc. this year a no-name blogger was president and the event featured mostly small church pastors who divided up one book (Philippians) and preached through it. There were 12 preachers: African-American, Latino, Asian, and white. Most younger, a couple of greyhairs.

It was the first authentic grassroots movement in the SBC in some time.

Music? They kicked out the eardrum shattering noise fest and had the Gettys, a more sedate, non- hipster group with fiddle, flute, mandolin, a couple of guitars, drums, a real piano. They were super. No fog machine, disco lights, or other nonsense.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:56 am

Sandy

Barry McCarty white headed. Donna Gaines prayer for Presiden

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:44 pm

http://www.sbcannualmeeting.net/sbc17/program

At first I thought Donna, the homecoming queen was praying for Trump after the Pledge of Allegiance and the national Anthem but now I think she was praying for her husband Steve, Adrian Rogers successor, before he preached the Convention sermon.

Steve and I had good chat in the parking lot of FBC Bham in 93 a few days after the major March snowstorm that year and the Inquisition of Tom Corts. That's why I was in Bham, to observe the Inquisition Gaines and Albert Lee Smith had put together. Things don't change much as Rick Burgess and Scott Beason are carrying on the Gaines/ Adrian agenda and Samford is on the chopping block again this fall at the BAma SBC.

Miss those good days with Barry McCarty, the Helms operative. I shut the place down in Atlanta in 91 and relished my questions to the chair in 88 about Helms and McCarty and Pressler. Pressler was livid that day, a good day for some truth telling.

The boys keep rolling.

What a show!
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Richard Jackson

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:46 pm

Stephen Fox

What are registration numbers

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:48 pm

I think San Antonio was about 22,500 with the airport busy with folks flying in and out for the Presidential vote.

Stephen Fox

Peace Committee Redux

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:51 pm

You know what I think about this

http://www.bpnews.net/49014/sbc-peace-c ... ears-later

Horsepoop

Cecil Sherman is churnin in his grave with this blatant false narrative.

Molly Worthen would find this laughable

Stephen Fox

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:24 am

Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:36 pm

William, I'm hoping you might still give a fuller account of the Pastor's Conference.

Thanks!
Rvaughn

Return to SBC News and Trends